WSU vs Catawba

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by XManCometh View Post
    Lots and lots of upside on this team, but I'd be very surprised if we finish above .500 and make any sort of post-season tournament. I almost hope Teddy doesn't become available this year so we don't waste a year of him while 90% of the team figures out how to play D1 basketball.

Poor Bear is going to be a 1st team all-conference guy by the end of his 4 years.
    I disagree with 93% of this post.
    Livin the dream

Comment

• Fake Gregg Marshall
      Fake Gregg Marshall commented
      Editing a comment
      This is like saying “you’re pretty cute for an obese chick.”

• Burton was very impressive.
    Glad Markis ended the game hot.
    That kid behind the bench could really dance.
    Got to remind myself that this is going to take a lot of time with all the new players.
    They need to stop leaving the uniforms in the dryer too long.

Comment

• I think Jamarius earned his nickname of Grandpa tonight. Looked like the most mature player on the floor for the Shocks.

Comment

• I’ll also say that it seemed like a lot of our new guys were deferring g on offense. At some point, we’ll see our freshmen shooters emerge.

Comment

• Based on tonight and what I know, my line-up is:

Burton
          Haynes-Jones
          Allen
          McDuffie
          Udeze

Dennis and Brown get PT along with one center and one guard.
          Livin the dream

Comment

• pie n eye
            pie n eye commented
            Editing a comment
            No Stevenson? Low key night offensively but seems to have a nose for the ball. Affected like four shots on the help side that could have been easy points. Seemed solid with the ball and like he knows his role. Rebounded well for his size too.
            Last edited by pie n eye; October 31, 2018, 03:11 PM. Reason: Stevenson

• Already digging Burton. The kid sounds super sharp in the post game. He’s gonna be a good one.

Comment

• This team needs a go-to guy on offense...

Comment

• 75-64

CATAWBA.PNG
              Last edited by bunck; October 30, 2018, 09:55 PM.

Comment

• CATAWBA2.PNG

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
                  Nice pass from Jones. He didn't do much of that last year. Nice to see. Even if Udeze wasn't ready lol
                  Honestly, that was one of the most refreshing things to see from him tonight. Nobody expected him to ever do that, not even his own teammate.

If he starts plugging those things into his game, there is hope. He's not going to be able to pop off over 6'2 guards when the D-1 teams start rolling in.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Fun game. Lots of YES moments and lots of NO NO NO moments. Will probably be like this for much of the season.

I lurked on Shockernet for years, and the excitement of this team has brought me back as a poster as well. For those that don't know, I tend to ramble - my apologies.

My takeaways in order of my significance:
                    1. Burton at the 1. I said this after the scrimmage, and I don't like to say "I told you so", but his strength and upper body are well suited for the physical nature of the game. He may be one of the best on ball defenders that we have.
                    2. The Shocks missed probably 10 very easy-very makeable-1-4 foot shots. That's a difference of 20 points, and probably helps settle the nerves and let's the guys play with a little more confidence. How many times will McDuffie airball a shot? I don't know, but if a few of the easy ones start to fall (for everyone), then the flow is better. I saw a lot of nerves to open the game from everyone. . How many times was Marshall pulling someone over as if to say "no you throw the ball in, or you go in for that guy and tell him to come out of the game." I expect a lot of adjustments to be made. Would I rather the Shocks have made them and had the game come easy? I don't know. Now the team has things to work on, so I kind of like it better this way.
                    3. I always wondered why no ball was ever thrown into the post to Mitgardt (even last season) and now I see why, He's not really a back to the basket guy. Jaime has potential to play post and even step out of the post for a baeline jumper on a drive (as seen near the end of the game.) Udeze had a few positive moments as well, though at times EVERYONE seemed a bit slow footed. I thought at times the "new" bigs played well together, almost as if they knew the other one had their back if they got out of position.
                    4. The first half I was really only concerned with one thing, can McDuffie redshirt this season. Dude has a nice shot at times, but as a defender on the low block and even on rebounds he's gonna get knocked around quite a bit. Think of it like this, there's an outside chance that both VanVleet and Baker outweigh McDuffie. You wanna be quick and lean, you gotta play like Durant or Garnett. He looked almost deer-in-the-headlights in the first half. It's like he wants to be so good that he doesn't know what to do first.
                    5. Stevenson looks like a solid player and steadying player as well as Burton. Either he's in the right place for rebounds by chance, or he's good at it (for his size.) He didn't score much, but I kind of felt like he could score at times. If Evan Wessel was a glue guy, then Stevenson will be like a super-glue guy (I hope).
                    6. I don't want to say anything bad, because I don't know what the outcome of the game is without him (good or bad), but I wish Samajae was a better passer. I think I remember only two good passes from him tonight, and one the post player was just not ready for the ball. When I think of the point guard, I want a Fred VanVleet guy that gets everyone in place, and makes the pass, or drives the ball and kicks to an open teammate. Case in point, Chance Moore looks like a sweet set shot, and one glaring play was completely wide open on the wing - no one within 10-12 feet of him and no pass is made. Next play Moore looked frustrated at this and attempted to take the ball off a steal or rebound (I don't recall which) the length of the court because in his mind - he KNOWS he would have drained that shot. Where Frankamp was almost too hesitant to look for a shot last season, Samajae is almost at the opposite end of the spectrum I hope he finds a middle ground.
                    I'll probably think of a few other things once I read more comments, but I am really excited about this team and look forward to their opening game.:good:

Comment

• Originally posted by XManCometh View Post
                      Lots and lots of upside on this team, but I'd be very surprised if we finish above .500 and make any sort of post-season tournament. I almost hope Teddy doesn't become available this year so we don't waste a year of him while 90% of the team figures out how to play D1 basketball.

Poor Bear is going to be a 1st team all-conference guy by the end of his 4 years.
                      Way to go out on a limb with that prediction.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• I think it's a good thing Mitgaard didn't redshirt last year. When he transfers after this year, he won't lose a year of eligibility.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker(1) View Post
                          5. Stevenson looks like a solid player and steadying player as well as Burton. Either he's in the right place for rebounds by chance, or he's good at it (for his size.) He didn't score much, but I kind of felt like he could score at times. If Evan Wessel was a glue guy, then Stevenson will be like a super-glue guy (I hope).
                          Agreed. Maybe not an accident that the Shocks were +13 when Eric was in the game.

Comment

• Topshock
                            Topshock commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Love that the +/- is in the stats this year..

• Welp, I think it's pretty apparent the NCAA streak is in jeopardy. And that really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

As others mentioned, there are pieces. But those pieces are basically toddlers right now learning how to walk. In a year or two, we're gonna be very good. This year is definitely going to be a death-by-paper-cuts type of season.

MM is a disappointment. He tries to do the impossible, NBA fadeaway shot instead of just taking what's given to him. When he's set and squares up to the basket, he's got a nice shot. When he forces it and tries to do the SportsCenter Top 10 play, he looks like D-3 wannabe. He also had some boneheaded turnovers and horrible defense. Don't expect that stuff from a senior leader. I think MM is what he is at this point and he peaked as a sophomore.

SHJ was the leading scorer (as Walker predicted). He's sticky at times with the ball and just doesn't pass. When he did pass, the no-look to Udeze, it was good. It was so unexpected that his own teammate didn't think it was coming. Most of his shots were bad shots that started going in. He has an ok 1-on-1 game but again, it was against D-2 competition. He won't be able to get a lot of this off with a clear view like he did tonight. I'm glad he's confident but wish he would run through the flow of the offense a bit more.

Burton is clearly playing above his age level. Can't believe that guy was playing high school ball 7 months ago. He's physical and looks like a natural out there. He plays solid D and the stage didn't look big for him at all. He is most definitely a stud and will be quite a load by the time he's done playing here.

Our frontcourt is a big mess. I don't see how that is going to do well against D-1 teams and in the AAC. The rebounding is lacking and the defense is non-existent at times. That is where we are gonna get murdered this year.

A young team, I had reservations about the year. We'll be better as Marshall teams do as the year progresses. If we make the NIT, I'd call that a solid win for this year. There's just too much new to get over the hump and will cost us a decent amount of W's this year.

But the future is bright.
                          Last edited by ShockerFever; October 30, 2018, 10:36 PM.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Topshock
                            Topshock commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Agree with most all of this. Still think Teddy Allen could change everything though.

• Walker
                            Walker commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I'm pretty concerned with our frontcourt as well. He had his deficiencies, but I think it would have really helped if Nurger could have redshirted a couple of years ago. I think Midtgaard, Echenique and Poor Bear will be solid trio next year but they looked lost and timid quite a bit last night.
                        Working...
                        X