WSU vs Catawba

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
    Not really responding to you ShockBand ... thanks for posting this.

What's wrong with this video? It's decent.
    The video is fine. The sound was atrocious in the arena

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
      C0|dB|00ded commented
      Editing a comment
      Any production shortfalls can likely be attributed to the fact that our athletic department is completely broke. You'll want to send your complaints to the guy in charge of the athletic department...

T

...:cool:

• That makes sense.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Stickboy46
      Stickboy46 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounded like the dude that blares his music off his boost Mobile prepaid phone full blast.

• For hype videos and the like, it should be LOUD! As in "make it stop" LOUD! And last night, it wasn't, at least from my seat in row 29.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• WINGdingBALLfling
      WINGdingBALLfling commented
      Editing a comment
      The video looks great, but that’s it.. It’s basically the same two different video angles over and over. It has no build up and nothing that makes it special to get the crowd pumped up. It basically could have been 15 seconds and you’d get the same feeling as it being 1 minute.

• WstateU
      WstateU commented
      Editing a comment
      My post video reaction...

https://media.giphy.com/media/blqEBWV6iFjGM/giphy.gif

• Kung Wu
      Kung Wu commented
      Editing a comment
      "Oooh, fud"?

• One other thought. Last night when I left, really Burton was my only positive. The more I think about it, ES was impressive. He did what I thought he was going to struggle with, he played defense. I know he can score, but thought his defense would limit him. So I'm pleasantly surprised with that. His offense will come.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      Regarding ADDB's response to the public criticism of the intro video he and his department could perhaps learn something about customer relations from a little restaurant in Burrton, KS (on Hwy 50 beytween Newton and Hutchinson). This restaurant had a nice write up in the Eagle so I looked into it. One of the things I usually do when checking places out is to review the reviews.

Most of The Barn's reviews were positive as they have a 4.6 out of 5 average rating. However, what struck me most about their reveiws was that the owner took the time to respond to the great majority of the reveiws including the occassional poor reveiws. Here is an example of a response to a negative review:

Dennis Farris reviewed theBarn2 star

April 29 ·

We went for breakfast on a Saturday morning, the restaurant wasn’t busy at all. We were seated quickly, received our drinks but then waited for about 15 more minutes to order. 25 minutes later a different server returned to ask what we ordered. We finally received part of our order at about the
      50 minutes mark. After eating about half of our meal the remainder of our order arrived. We were there approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes an never got our water refilled. From our observation other tables received the same quality of service. In all fairness to the service, one of the three servers appeared to be a very good. The food was great, but I hope management understands poor service trumps good food. This was our second visit in the past 6 months and the service hasn’t improved. The two star rating was only because the food was good, otherwise a ‘1’ is the best I could offer. Not too sure we will make the drive again.

Comments
      Dennis, thanks for coming to the Barn and for the review. I am sorry to hear that your visit was not what we would expect any of our guests to have. If you could tell me what time you came in and where you sat or if you know the name of your server. Again we are very sorry for this and want to know as much as we can to visit with staff so they can do better.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/theBarnB...=page_internal

Obviously this business owner believes that you catch more bees with honey than with vigegar.

BTW, I have never eaten at The Barn but I am inclined to give it a try one of these days.

Chicken fried steaks fly out of this small-town Kansas restaurant
      Ate there before the game yesterday. Got there at 5:00 p.m. Good service. Tremendous food. Took half of it home. They said they were 200 shy of serrving 70,000 chicken=fried steaks in the three years they've been open. Run by very good people.
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• 1972Shocker
        1972Shocker commented
        Editing a comment
        Good to hear. The guy who ordered CFS #10,000 received one free meal a week for a year. Wonder what #100,000 will win?

What do you recommend from the menu?

• im4wsu
        im4wsu commented
        Editing a comment
        1972 -- the Slop bucket of nachos is a great appetizer for the table. The Chicken Fry is fantastic. The burgers are okay, but IMHO not exceptional. I had the Philly Cheesesteak last night and was not disappointed.

• What irks me is that three newcomers looked like they were actually coached in high school-Burton, Erik and Udeze. The rest were muddling between AAU and pick up game standards . If that is the learning curve every D-1 coach has with most newcomers, imagine what 3G is dealing with when the number is ten.

That being said I’m sure some of it was nerves. Ricky looked discombobulated from the get go and Dexter was way out of balance with his court spacing. That has to be jitters. Ricky played really well in the OSU scrimmage and in practice. If he plays well that frees up Samajae to play the two which has been his natural position since he was 12 years old. More than anything Ricky will be the key to whatever success we have this year.
      Last edited by shoxlax; October 31, 2018, 08:14 PM.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
        C0|dB|00ded commented
        Editing a comment
        I do like Torres, he's just too small. I'm still very sad about it. I'm pulling for him to succeed but definitely not basing our success on him. Talk about a long shot!

T

• C0|dB|00ded
        C0|dB|00ded commented
        Editing a comment
        Too.
        Damn.
        Small.

Oh man you're right. I am a broken record.

T

• WstateU
        WstateU commented
        Editing a comment
        I think Ricky was the 'head of the snake' and you know the rest of the story...

• I wish I had video saved of MM shooting as a sophomore to compare to his shooting form last night. It sure looked to me in real-time that he was always arching his back severely and leaning back or even falling away on even open looks. It is very difficult to be consistent doing that.
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Good breakdown fella's. I watched the game twice and came away feeling cautiously optimistic. That Catawba team was really good. Dyamn...

I had a feeling about Jamarius Burton all summer long reading up on him and watching some video. Very impressive Freshman. SHJ played fairly well...still not real confident in his play but gotta play him. Later in the season I wouldn't be surprised at all if Burton started at the point with Erik Stevenson and then bring SHJ in off the bench to give a different dynamic.

Kinda feel that Morris Udezee will be a really good center for us as well as Poor Bear. Poor Bear has some surprisingly good to maybe eventually great footwork. Perhaps those 2 will see some court time together.

I like McD's "want to" and I think we all realize he really wants to lead...but hopefully he'll step off the gas a little bit and delegate to a lot of the newbies. I think that will happen sooner rather than later.

All in all like everybody's saying...we young and inexperienced but the pieces are definitely there for Coach to grow these guys up. Probably a ceiling of 18-20 wins...which I think would be really something and overachieving for this young squad.

GO SHOCKS!!!!

FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Regarding MM, I saw the same things this summer. He forced the issue which usually garnered poor results. He's too lanky to think he can be a Lebron James bullying his way to the basket. As has been already said, he needs to be more of a supportive, opportunistic leader. Some nights he'll put up a lot of points; some nights he'll do all the things that don't show up on a stat sheet. But if he tries to force his way into the limelight, he's going to achieve the exact opposite result. He's gotta be smart and slick. He CANNOT physically impose his will on anybody. A 6'4 guy from Catawba last night blocked his ****.

Be smart.

P.S. Somebody posted that our success lies in the development of Torres. I say our success lies on whether or not MM decides to be the glue for this team or the star. If he chooses the former, we will be very good, very soon.

T

Comment

• ES looked like the kid that knows how to play his roll within the system already, but can't figure out why everyone is out of position and not doing what they have been running in practice.

I broke down game film and decided to post a clip from last night here. It's a little grainy, but the guy in the blue shirt is ES. The llamas are Poor Bear and Meatguard. The chickens are our motion offense last night:

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
            ES looked like the kid that knows how to play his roll
            Actually most of the team looked like they were playing a roll:

Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 31, 2018, 04:12 PM.

Comment

• I don't think it is a given that Markis won't figure it out but I can't say with any great deal of confidence that he will. I can say I really hope that happens. Would love to see him have a solid senior season and maybe get to play some pro ball overseas. I don't see him as an NBA prospect not that I am an expert on that by any means.

Perhaps Markis could take a page out of Joe Mitchell's playbook after he transferred from WSU to Friends:

Friends’ Joe Mitchell chosen NAIA Division II player of the year

From the first day he put on a Friends University basketball jersey, Joe Mitchell insisted on one thing, above all else.

No matter what happened, it was never going to be about him. No matter what happened, he was going to put his teammates and his school — and the game — above everything else. In his words and his actions, that was what he lived by.

Wednesday, those credos fell by the wayside as Mitchell, a Wichita native and Southeast High product, was named the NAIA Division II national player of the year.
              Not saying Markis could be the AAC POY let alone the National POY but I think the attitude Joe adopted is the way Markis needs to go. Maybe he thinks he is doing that. Markis is either a mystery wrapped in an enigma or perhaps really just isn't talented enough to live up to the expectations placed on him.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 31, 2018, 04:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                I wish I had video saved of MM shooting as a sophomore to compare to his shooting form last night. It sure looked to me in real-time that he was always arching his back severely and leaning back or even falling away on even open looks. It is very difficult to be consistent doing that.
                Yep. Noticed the falling away on nearly every shot. It’s a shot that can be made but nobody does it or can do it consistently like you said. Decent 2nd half hope he realizes he needs to let the game come to him

Comment

• As good of a 1st Shocker post-game interview as you will ever see.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 31, 2018, 05:51 PM.

Comment

• 3G's post-game interview:

Comment

Working...
                    X