Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes for Men's Basketball Game Days

Found this on GoShockers:

"There will also be a change in parking for men's basketball game days. Paid parking for fans with disabilities is available on a first-come, first-served basis in the lot surrounding Koch Arena. Guests must display a state-issued accessible license plate or hangtag and present a disability card along with a form of personal identification to access handicapped parking and pay a $10 charge, cash only." If I am reading this correctly, if you need or want handicap parking at CKA on men's basketball game days, not only do you have to get there before 2 to 2 1/2 hours early to get a handicap spot (which you had to do before) but now you also have to PAY an extra $10.00 per game. When did the Shockers become so money hungry that they have to charge extra for a handicap spot?

Not really defending them because I don't know their motivation, but maybe with the limited amount of spaces they are trying to weed out the people who don't need them as much by charging a nominal fee

Comment

I'm indifferent about the whole thing... Right down the middle... No opinion... Get your popcorn ready

Comment

Big League programs have Big League cost to produce Big League production. Sucks but comes with the territory were in. Probably better than fronting a Shocker football program.
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by Shox21 View Post
          When did the Shockers become so money hungry that they have to charge extra for a handicap spot?
          When 3G hit the jackpot but probably more of a factor was joining the AAC.

Now whether or not this decdision is driven by money is hard to say. $10 per spot will not generate a significant amount of money. I think there are only about 20 spaces. What the motivation for these fees are I don't know. Maybe they think it will discourage those who aren't really handicapped but somehow have a placard to not use those spaces. Whether or not that is the correct way to attempt to police that is another question. With so few spaces available you hope they are going to those with a real need.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 5, 2018, 05:27 PM.

Comment

When mrs p had her knee replacement and was in a wheelchair, we tried several times to park there. It is not humanly possible to arrive before those places are filled

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
              When mrs p had her knee replacement and was in a wheelchair, we tried several times to park there. It is not humanly possible to arrive before those places are filled
              It is possible but you have to be pretty dedicated. These spots are taken mostly by elderly who can't walk any great distance (especially in icy or very cold weather) and, as you pointed out, wheelchair-bound fans. They know the only way they can attend a game to see their Shockers live is to get a handicap spot. This means, for a 7:00 p.m. game time, you have to arrive between 4:30 and 5:15 because otherwise these spots are taken. To do this every game shows a lot of dedication and loyalty to the program. And now not only do you have to arrive 2 to 2 1/2 hours early, but you also have to PAY extra to park there. I'm just saying that I think this is a bad way to repay that kind of loyalty. If you don't want to make these people angry, WSU needs to make this change KNOWN. Most of these elderly don't go on Shockernet or GoShockers.com, so they will not know about this until they try to park there the first game, and some may not have the cash on them -- I know I don't carry but a few dollars cash at any given time because I either use my debit or credit card for most all purchases. If they feel they MUST do this for whatever reason, PUBLISH it and make sure it is well-known by all before the first game.

Comment

It is possible but you have to be pretty dedicated. These spots are taken mostly by elderly who can't walk any great distance (especially in icy or very cold weather) and, as you pointed out, wheelchair-bound fans. They know the only way they can attend a game to see their Shockers live is to get a handicap spot. This means, for a 7:00 p.m. game time, you have to arrive between 4:30 and 5:15 because otherwise these spots are taken. To do this every game shows a lot of dedication and loyalty to the program. And now not only do you have to arrive 2 to 2 1/2 hours early, but you also have to PAY extra to park there. I'm just saying that I think this is a bad way to repay that kind of loyalty. If you don't want to make these people angry, WSU needs to make this change KNOWN. Most of these elderly don't go on Shockernet or GoShockers.com, so they will not know about this until they try to park there the first game, and some may not have the cash on them -- I know I don't carry but a few dollars cash at any given time because I either use my debit or credit card for most all purchases. If they feel they MUST do this for whatever reason, PUBLISH it and make sure it is well-known by all before the first game.
                These people who arrive at 4:30 will appreciate Quodoba. They do sell a quality product although it isn’t cheap.

Comment

Maybe they need to establish a "shuttle" from an off-campus parking lot just for those with handicap tags or plaques. Shuttle to/from the game for $10. Eliminate the need to arrive so early. Then sell those spots to the highest bidder and rake in the dough.
                  "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                  ---------------------------------------
                  Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                  "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                  "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Is this on top of a premium SASO parking pass?
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Game day parking is a mess for a lot of people. Students and faculty members have to have their cars out of the lots, spots that they pay for, about 3 1/2 hours before the game. Many of those teachers and students are still in classes. It’s very disruptive to the educational institution. I like the idea, expressed above, for people to park away from campus and shuttle in.

Comment

Shuttles are already available, from Old Town and Hughes, no? As is Uber. Uber to Old Town, get prefunked, shuttle to the game, shuttle back for a bite and a beer, Uber home. Or, drive to Hughes, shuttle in and out and drive home for the less drinky among us. Or get picked up dropped off by Uber at the front door of your house and Koch.

The time will soon come that the idea of spending time driving and parking a car will seem as antiquated as tying your horse up outside the saloon.

Edit: given the age of many of the fans at the games I would bet 1/4 of the fans have handicap stickers. Could probably fill up the main lot just with handicap parking. Like the Wichita Clinic.
                        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Need to find space somewhere to build a big-ass 11 story parking garage somewhat close by. Or a shuttle type thing like somebody already mentioned. Good problem to have though!!!!
                          FINAL FOURS:
                          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                          Number of Times Ranked: 157
                          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                          #3 - Dec. 2017
                          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                          #2 ~ March 2014
                          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

$10?

LOL, classic.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I wish they would run the buses for ALL games, not just the ones when classes are in session. While I enjoy the walk through campus, I do often use the campus bus before the game when it is available, especially if the weather isn't great. Also my knees aren't what they used to be. I think if they ran the buses for all games, and made sure they went through ALL the outer lots that are open parking (Innovation Campus, Hughes, south side of campus, etc), it would be a great measure of customer service.
                              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                              X