Missouri Valley Examiner interview with Doug Elgin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missouri Valley Examiner interview with Doug Elgin

Doug Elgin was kind enough to allow me to interview him. He is always very candid, and his responses to my questions were great. He talked a bit about league revenue, scheduling, and other topics.

The full article can be found here: http://www.examiner.com/missouri-val...ug-elgin-intro

I'd love your feedback, along with ideas on who else you would want to see interviewed.

Thanks!

Joe
    Visit the site with the most in-depth coverage of the Missouri Valley -- http://www.examiner.com/missouri-val...al/joseph-book

Follow me on twitter at http://twitter.com/mvcexaminerjoe

Why does the examiner make you split up your articles like that? More ad revenue?
    The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1
      Why does the examiner make you split up your articles like that? More ad revenue?
      Bingo! We have a winner. More clicks equals an argument for higher ad revenue.

Another thing is that if people scroll down and realize they're in a long article, many people stop reading early. If there's less scroll down territory, more people are likely to read the entire content.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

With the amount of recruiting violations and illegal activities that take place around college sports, the Valley has escaped with few problems. How do you ensure that the league stays clean with regards to recruiting players and team policies?
        Oh No! That is like breaking a mirror.

Wonder what the chances of MVC team now being brought up on charges within 6 months for recruiting violations?

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh
          Originally posted by wsushox1
          Bingo! We have a winner. More clicks equals an argument for higher ad revenue.

Another thing is that if people scroll down and realize they're in a long article, many people stop reading early. If there's less scroll down territory, more people are likely to read the entire content.
          Both of these are correct... though primarily the second point. I know that I would rather read an article broken into three or four pieces if it's very long... it's a brain thing. You see a long article and it overwhelms you, even though it's the same length in pieces.

I don't think anyone clicks on those ads, anyways...
          Visit the site with the most in-depth coverage of the Missouri Valley -- http://www.examiner.com/missouri-val...al/joseph-book

Comment

Solid interview, although I'm not a fan of his scheduling answers. It's become pretty obvious some coaches don't understand what their schedule needs to look like. Not like I can really blame them though, for about half of the schools in this conference there is zero incentive for scheduling good. Combine this with what Jank was saying on the Bluejay Banter interview and this conference is really starting to p me off.

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock
              Solid interview, although I'm not a fan of his scheduling answers. It's become pretty obvious some coaches don't understand what their schedule needs to look like. Not like I can really blame them though, for about half of the schools in this conference there is zero incentive for scheduling good. Combine this with what Jank was saying on the Bluejay Banter interview and this conference is really starting to p me off.
              What'd Jank say?
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

You gotta remember - Jank is a KU guy. Coaching in the MVC is beneath his lofty pedigree. I'm confident his only goal from the IlSU gig was to rack up some 20-win seasons at any cost and get to a school worthy of his illustrious services.

EPIC FAIL!
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                  What'd Jank say?
                  Not much. Just that he's trying his best, but it's tough to put together a good schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                    What'd Jank say?
                    Not much. Just that he's trying his best, but it's tough to put together a good schedule.
                    Figures. I know it's tough, but it's not THAT tough to put together a better schedule than they have since he's been there.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

EM, nice interview. Wish you would have asked him about conference realignment /expansion.

Comment

Originally posted by MadDog
                        EM, nice interview. Wish you would have asked him about conference realignment /expansion.
                        In hindsight, I wish I had as well...

He has been great with me, so I might give it some time and then bounce that off of him...

The Bear Nation board is having some fighting within regarding his comment about the Shox being the best team in the league for most of the season last year. Interesting comments...

Comment

Bradley wasn't the only school on the cover of Sports Illustrated in 2006. He definitely could have mentioned how Wichita State had a cover spot also.
                          Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

Originally posted by Ta Town Shocker
                            Bradley wasn't the only school on the cover of Sports Illustrated in 2006. He definitely could have mentioned how Wichita State had a cover spot also.
                            I'm betting Elgin was in the region of the country that had the Braves on the cover.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by Ta Town Shocker
                              You are right. I knew this and somehow forgot it when writing the intro.

I have edited the intro to reflect the Shox cover appearance. Please accept my apology for the omission.

Comment

Working...
                              X