No announcement yet.

Scouting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May as well go into making observations about the observations (of a 5-second clip).

"AM looks weak" - His other choice is to make a hard foul at the basket, possibly injuring a teammate.

"The defense doesn't look any better than last year" - At least the guy tearing up the D and getting to the hoop is wearing a WSU uni. Scoring in transition used to be part of "Play Angry", but that didn't seem to happen much last year.

I'd be more interested in knowing who threw the pass to Dennis than who got beat from half court. Dennis was to the basket the moment that pass was thrown. 2 bounces and 6 strides from half court will beat a lot of defenders. That was like a wide receiver catching a pass with 2 yards of clearance and only one defender with an angle to catch him at the goal line.

It looks like we have a player who can dribble and run at the same time - AND finish at the hoop. If we had "that guy" last year, he chose not to attempt that move.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I really wish the video had sound. The reactions are great.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
        May as well go into making observations about the observations (of a 5-second clip).

"AM looks weak" - His other choice is to make a hard foul at the basket, possibly injuring a teammate.

"The defense doesn't look any better than last year" - At least the guy tearing up the D and getting to the hoop is wearing a WSU uni. Scoring in transition used to be part of "Play Angry", but that didn't seem to happen much last year.

I'd be more interested in knowing who threw the pass to Dennis than who got beat from half court. Dennis was to the basket the moment that pass was thrown. 2 bounces and 6 strides from half court will beat a lot of defenders. That was like a wide receiver catching a pass with 2 yards of clearance and only one defender with an angle to catch him at the goal line.

It looks like we have a player who can dribble and run at the same time - AND finish at the hoop. If we had "that guy" last year, he chose not to attempt that move.
        Looks like Burton if practice number match up with game numbers which it looks like they do. Big things ahead

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
          C0|dB|00ded commented
          Editing a comment
          I noticed several practice numbers that didn't match up with official roster numbers.

T

...:cool:

• bighouse
          bighouse commented
          Editing a comment
          Who’s number doesn’t match? Everyone i saw looked correct. Hard to tell be from build, skin shade and hair looks right to me

AM had no chance other than to destroy Dennis at the rim. If that was a player from Cincinnati I'd say a good use of a foul... No soup for you.
        ​​​​​​
        Whichever guard didn't slide over and cut him off was more to blame than Midtgaard. Of course last year that would have meant an open three somewhere...

Looking forward to real practice reports, scrimmages, and games. We are only about a month and a half away from Shocker Blandness.
        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

OK 'DD', we wanna see a repeat of this...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• jcdshocker
            jcdshocker commented
            Editing a comment
            This is the best dunk I have ever seen in person.

• BOBB
            BOBB commented
            Editing a comment
            Fred liked it

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
          What a nugget......lol.....this little clip will be overanalyzed.
          Baaaaaack and to the left . . .

Comment

Markis McDuffie on WSU’s team chemistry: ‘We’re already like brothers’

Comment

Originally posted by bighouse View Post

Looks like Burton if practice number match up with game numbers which it looks like they do. Big things ahead
              Burton is the “under the radar” recruit that I think will exceed expectations as a Shocker. He’s long, lean, strong, athletic and makes the winning plays. See Tekele Cotton as an example. While I don’t expect that he plays the same game, the importance to the team will be similar.
              Livin the dream

Comment

• Dan
                Dan commented
                Editing a comment
                State Champ as well. 3G likes guys that know how to win.

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
              Markis McDuffie on WSU’s team chemistry: ‘We’re already like brothers’

https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...217462305.html
              This year's team has a real possibility of having better chemistry than last year's team.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• BOBB
                BOBB commented
                Editing a comment
                God, I hope so.

Originally posted by wufan View Post

Burton is the “under the radar” recruit that I think will exceed expectations as a Shocker. He’s long, lean, strong, athletic and makes the winning plays. See Tekele Cotton as an example. While I don’t expect that he plays the same game, the importance to the team will be similar.
              I think he was injured wasn’t he and therefore was overlooked by the recruiting services? Seems I read somewhere that he would have graded out much higher had he not spent a year on the bench dealing with a leg injury of some sort prior to his junior season. I’m very intrigued by this young man as he’s been described by many as the only pure point guard Marshall brought in (prior to picking up Torres).

Comment

Yes. Some soulless bastards in recruiting circles mostly ignored Burton after his injury. Many schools stopped recruiting him. Marshall stepped up and saw the light in this gifted guard who will eventually bring a great deal of value to Wichita.
                The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Comment

You AM apologist are hilarious. AM had his eye on him when he was above the free throw line and still couldn't get his body in position to cut him off and protect the rim. Just too slow to get there.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                    C0|dB|00ded commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Gotta cut the guy a little slack. Most of us would succumb to the same fate facing DnD. Add in the fact that he's 7 foot 270... a ship like that's gonna need a lot of runway.

T

• Aargh
                    Aargh commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Without knowing Dennis's capabilities and tendencies, that's a tough call to make. If Dennis is unable to go to his left and finish with his left hand, then AM does have a route to cut him off, but guarding the near side of the basket leaves Dennis an unobstructed route to the basket on his left-hand side. 6'6" guys simply have more mobility than 7', 270 guys.

A 7' guy in the 240 range with great ups and timing could play middle ground and be ready to block the shot regardless of which way Dennis went, but those guys are in the NBA or at Kentucky for a year.

• Topshock
                    Topshock commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree with both of you. I just think that if you are going to put a 7 footer on the floor he has to be able to protect the basket when a player gets past a perimeter player.

NM

Comment

This is about good defensive fundamentals and nothing else. Shocker Gorilla was right. There were two players who should have stopped the ball. You don’t allow anyone to dribble into the lane on a break. Marshall had to be yelling “Stop the ball” numerous times as DD dribbled into the lane. Maybe he jumped on AM too for not face planting him into the wall but good defense fundamentals are to stop the ball prior to the lane and make him pass. The guy shooting the 3 on the break is a much better risk than a foul and free shots or a dunk.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                      C0|dB|00ded commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm not 100% sure Shaq would have chosen to contest that drive. DnD doesn't just barely finish at the rim, he comes in on a descending trajectory. But make no mistake, I am fully aware of Shaq's gifts. His legs and overall quickness were surprising considering his heft. It would just be very hard to cleanly stop a killer like DnD at full stride unless you somehow were able to take the charge. He is e x p l o s i v e and his dunks are the hardest I've ever witnessed personally. You could honest-to-God get a hand broken if it got between the rim and DnD's ball. He's ruthless.

T

• Shockm
                      Shockm commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Shaq would have tried to block DD’s dunk and he may have been successful. AM isn’t a shot blocker. He takes up a lot of space but he is no Shaq as a jumper or shot blocker. If the other perimeter players do their job the path of the driver is stopped or altered and maybe a positive result has a chance with Mittgard.

• IndianaShocker
                      IndianaShocker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I played a season with a guy who was a fair leaper...Shawn Marion. I've played with and against a lot of freaks....but Shawn was different. Like another planet different. I remember people telling me, "just wait until you're on the court with him then you will know". I'm starting to get the same vibe on DnD. If that's the case, wow. Oh, and Shawn was an unheralded recruit out of HS with his only D1 being Austin Peay (would have gone there had he not been forced the JC route as a prop 48). Stories are similar....if the hops are also SC top 10 will be living in Wichita

Comment

Working...
                    X