looking into the past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking into the past

i'm not quite old enough to remember this, but would love some color commentary from those who were active boosters at the time..

Former North Carolina State basketball coach Jim Valvano was poised to accept the vacant head coaching position at Wichita State University, his attorney...

crazy to think that it came down to thompson, valvano, and calipari... not to mention that unlv wanted to talk to thompson after the tark was let go (and a year after winning a naty).

I am trying to imagine an alternate universe in which Calapari would have come to Wichita. Not sure how I’d feel about that.
    78-65

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
      C0|dB|00ded commented
      Editing a comment
      Calipari at Wichita State through the 90's instead of Thompson and Smithson? Yeah, I could handle that universe. Sounds like heaven actually compared to the hell we went through. Today we'd likely have a Maurice Evans banner (along with several more) in that universe.

Maybe Calipari stays with us until '09 (like Memphis) then HCGM would come in and pick up where he left off with a full head of steam.

I see Natty's!

T

...:cool:

Mike Cohen...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• FlyingWheat
      FlyingWheat commented
      Editing a comment
      If anyone is looking for a good basketball coach, I would strongly suggest you don’t retain the services of Mike Cohen!

• ShockingButTrue
      ShockingButTrue commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't get me started on that one...

For those of us who were young and oblivious (or not around, period) during that era, it is very interesting to see the national perception of WSU MBB before we hired two more, additional HC duds and the MVC cratered.

Just crazy to think what that one decade (1990’s), plus a depleted MVC, did to our brand. Something we’re STILL fighting in many ways.

Comment

I remember it well. Wanted Valvano simply because of his reputation; whether he was actually a great coach is debatable. Great person, great representative...perhaps got lucky in his one shining moment (but it was a great one!). I don't know if he could've duplicated his magic for us, but he could've put us in the limelight for a while. As for wanting Calipari, just remember we would be getting the Cali fraught with violations, something we couldn't afford. We were second only to SMU for NCAA violations. When Thompson was hired, it was a let down to some degree; most didn't know much about him. Turned out to be a mistake.

Comment

This newspaper article was from March of 1992. Jim Valvano was diagnosed with cancer in June 1992. He gave his famous ESPY Award speech in March 1993, in which Coach K and Dick Vitale had to help him walk down the stage stairs. He died in April 1993. Even if he was hired as the Wichita State coach, he likely would have never coached a game for the Shockers.
        78-65

Comment

By the way, a dear friend of mine had an AWFUL experience with Jimmy V. This friend was a teacher in Buhler back in the late 80s/early 90s and went to a coaching clinic in Dallas (I think) where Jim Valvano was the keynote speaker. Valvano apparently was drunk with obvious slurred speech and was telling a lot of off-color jokes.

At the end of this clinic, a bunch of door prizes were given away. A final prize was a set of golf clubs or something like that. Valvano told the clinic organizers that he had a special prize to give away. So the organizers drew another name, which was my friend's name. My friend obviously got excited and went to the stage. When he got up there, Valvano put his arm around my friend and said, "(my friend's name), you don't win $#!+!" The whole room (of quite a large group) erupted with laughter. My friend went back to his seat with his tail tucked between his legs. The group of coaches from Buhler with my friend practically dove under their table, almost like, "Yeah, he's not with us."

So, when my friend see the special Jimmy V tributes each year, a part of him wants to throw up.
          78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
            By the way, a dear friend of mine had an AWFUL experience with Jimmy V. This friend was a teacher in Buhler back in the late 80s/early 90s and went to a coaching clinic in Dallas (I think) where Jim Valvano was the keynote speaker. Valvano apparently was drunk with obvious slurred speech and was telling a lot of off-color jokes.

At the end of this clinic, a bunch of door prizes were given away. A final prize was a set of golf clubs or something like that. Valvano told the clinic organizers that he had a special prize to give away. So the organizers drew another name, which was my friend's name. My friend obviously got excited and went to the stage. When he got up there, Valvano put his arm around my friend and said, "(my friend's name), you don't win $#!+!" The whole room (of quite a large group) erupted with laughter. My friend went back to his seat with his tail tucked between his legs. The group of coaches from Buhler with my friend practically dove under their table, almost like, "Yeah, he's not with us."

So, when my friend see the special Jimmy V tributes each year, a part of him wants to throw up.

i probably would have told jimmy v that he won.... a punch in the face and a kick in the junk.

Comment

jim valvano wanted to come coach at wichita state because he thought he could win a national championship here. his statement to that effect is on record. hell, gregg marshall has said the same thing.

Comment

• OregonShocker
                OregonShocker commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, and so did Thompson. Doesn't mean much.

• another shocker
                another shocker commented
                Editing a comment
                it means a hell of a lot. otherwise, wsu is just a steppingstone to some (turgeon, fogler).

Cohen was what took WSU off the track. Thompson's hire continued driving a train on a dirt road, further from the track. Smithson finally skidded the train to a stop, where we figured out we needed to get a crane and get the train back on the track.

Hard to say where we would have been, but needless to say, WSU is the case study of what an absolute horrible hire followed by 2 less than optimal hires can do to a program.
              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• OregonShocker
                OregonShocker commented
                Editing a comment
                Rule of thumb: never hire the assistant the departing coach recommends and refuses to take with him.

I think Warren Armstrong (the University Prez, not the basketball player) was probably the last guy picked for the game in grade school, and was mercilessly taunted in HS PE by the athletes. Athletics were nearly completely destroyed during his time at the helm of WSU.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• OregonShocker
                OregonShocker commented
                Editing a comment
                Agreed. He placed the importance of athletics to the university VERY low on his scale. While focusing on academics was important, he took his eye off the ball re: athletics. ;-)

The article says the deal with Valvano was close. Why didn't it happen?

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                The article says the deal with Valvano was close. Why didn't it happen?
                It’s been moons ago, but I believe he hadn’t been feeling well for several months and had scheduled tests. Jimmy V may have known something wasn’t right (speculation on my part) and kindly stepped away from the deal. I remember being excited and then quickly deflated when he didn’t take the job. While having a dying coach might have provided a lot of short-term publicity, it just wasn’t meant to be. For some unknown reason, the basketball gods wanted us to suffer... and did we ever. Hope we learned our lesson and this kind of history will never repeat itself in Doo-Dah.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

It’s been moons ago, but I believe he hadn’t been feeling well for several months and had scheduled tests. Jimmy V may have known something wasn’t right (speculation on my part) and kindly stepped away from the deal. I remember being excited and then quickly deflated when he didn’t take the job. While having a dying coach might have provided a lot of short-term publicity, it just wasn’t meant to be. For some unknown reason, the basketball gods wanted us to suffer... and did we ever. Hope we learned our lesson and this kind of history will never repeat itself in Doo-Dah.
                  You're correct. I remember hearing (from him, I believe, but it may have been from WSU officials) that he had noted some back pain while touring the facilities literally in Wichita and that led to the evaluation which found the cancer. Thus, the offer was never completed.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                    Cohen was what took WSU off the track. Thompson's hire continued driving a train on a dirt road, further from the track. Smithson finally skidded the train to a stop, where we figured out we needed to get a crane and get the train back on the track.

Hard to say where we would have been, but needless to say, WSU is the case study of what an absolute horrible hire followed by 2 less than optimal hires can do to a program.
                    I like this analogy, but I’d say Fogler drove the train off the track then threw Cohen into the conductor seat and jumped off.

Comment

Working...
                    X