ZZZZzzzzZZZZZzzzzzz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UncIeMike View Post
    Just saw the shirtless picture of the boys on this new team. seems like they have a lot of meat on the bones! you can tell they've been going heavy and eatin thick this summer. I think we have a lot to talk about. Clean cut looking group, not one of them with a haircut like a hippy
    You sound really gay. Just sayin.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockerman View Post
      Wish we had football :(
      The AAC FB Media Days this year was nice. It definitely would've been great to see the Shockers athletes on hand. Bringing the band back is awesome.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Is it possible to put a long term plan in place to build a football program? Considering Wichita State had football for a long time, I wouldn't imagine it would be harder than it would be at a place who never played the sport.

I don't know what that long term vision would look like.

I'm sure President Bardo is weighing that option because of the foothold he now has to advance a possible FB program to a high level, quickly, if the AAC were to ever have a football spot open up, which isn't out of the realm of possibility.

The AAC plays good football. I'm sure that the conference isn't concerned about whether or not the Shockers take to the gridiron. The Shox have already proven to belong.
      However, the conference has benefitted by programs that have advanced through the ranks in the modern era. Both UConn and UCF have been to, and won, Fiesta Bowls.. and each programs rise in FBS was relatively swift.
      Last edited by StunningSteve; July 25, 2018, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by StunningSteve View Post

The AAC FB Media Days this year was nice. It definitely would've been great to see the Shockers athletes on hand. Bringing the band back is awesome.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Is it possible to put a long term plan in place to build a football program? Considering Wichita State had football for a long time, I wouldn't imagine it would be harder than it would be at a place who never played the sport.

I don't know what that long term vision would look like.

I'm sure President Bardo is weighing that option because of the foothold he now has to advance a possible FB program to a high level, quickly, if the AAC were to ever have a football spot open up, which isn't out of the realm of possibility.

The AAC plays good football. I'm sure that the conference isn't concerned about whether or not the Shockers take to the gridiron. The Shox have already proven to belong.
        However, the conference has benefitted by programs that have advanced through the ranks in the modern era. Both UConn and UCF have been to, and won, Fiesta Bowls.. and each programs rise in FBS was relatively swift.
        Stunning!

Comment

Thought it was a sad day when Lew Perkins killed the WSU football program but am apprehensive about a restart, especially at the FBS level. If The football program does restart, FCS would probably be the realistic level to aim for. I'm a KU fan [also a KSU fan to some degree] but the last 8-9 years of Kansas football have been a nightmare...don't want to ever see WSU in the same deep hole that KU football is presently in.

Comment

WSU football > KU football.

And I'm talking about current events, not ancient history. When the basketball coach has to approve the hiring of the AD, football is forever doomed.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

If it has been mentioned before sorry. When the idea of football was floated by Mr. Bardo and Mr Boatright, NOT ONE person offered to pony up support.
              So, You'd better like purple if you want to enjoy football. Fortunately I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigman View Post
                If it has been mentioned before sorry. When the idea of football was floated by Mr. Bardo and Mr Boatright, NOT ONE person offered to pony up support.
                So, You'd better like purple if you want to enjoy football. Fortunately I do.
                Valley Center does have an exciting brand of football. Southwestern College does too if I’m not mistaken. I’m certainly supportive of all Hornet and Moundbuilder (whatever that is) supporters.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Valley Center does have an exciting brand of football. Southwestern College does too if I’m not mistaken. I’m certainly supportive of all Hornet and Moundbuilder (whatever that is) supporters.
                  Funny... but he was referring to the TRUE epicenter of state of Kansas Football .... Butler County Community College.

Comment

• shoxilla
                    shoxilla commented
                    Editing a comment
                    preach

I, too, was disappointed in seeing football cut. But I was one of the few that actually attended games their last season; basically, you could've put up lawn chairs for the size of the crowd. Now, I'm REALLY opposed to starting up again. The expense alone should cause anyone with a love of the basketball and baseball programs to pause; they undoubtedly will suffer with the reduced revenue. And, AT BEST, we would look like KU football, where only the parents of the players care, and then only if there isn't a good fishing show on TV. No, spend our AD money on building up what we have instead of chasing a dream of OU football.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                    C0|dB|00ded commented
                    Editing a comment
                    "AT BEST, we would look like KU football"

You can't prove that. There are a ton of college programs around America that don't look like ChicKUn football and they have less.

We live in a city of 600k+. All that needs to happen is to make our football team, Wichita's team, and be competitive in our conference.

And for the millionth time, this is not the 80's any more. College football is a very big deal now. People around Wichita would know the stakes if football was brought back. The stands would certainly not be empty. Passion and pride for Wichita State sports (and Wichita for that matter) has never been higher. An announcement of football coming back would blow the lid off the top. This town has plenty of money. All we need is a plan and strong leadership.

T

...:cool:

• OregonShocker
                    OregonShocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I admire your optimism. I agree it's not the 80's, but for the millionth time that isn't necessarily good for football, let alone an upstart program. IF football is a bigger deal now than it was in the 80's, then I would counter that the current trend isn't upward. I don't believe WSU football would be any more popular now, any more of an "our team" icon, than WSU athletics could have made it in the 80's (WSU passion and pride was pretty high then, too.)
                    It's undoubtedly easier to continue a program (even one as bad as KU) than start one; I'm of the opinion that the concrete has dried.
                    But, I admire your optimism.

Ideally, the city could build a massive stadium (50k) downtown and really make it Wichita's team. Then we could bring in a *gags* soccer *gags* franchise too. Give the ticket and sponsorship revenue to Wichita State and the city/county gets the concessions plus a moderate rental fee if there is a shortfall. This would be a pure cultural investment into the community which the local major employers would be deliriously happy for. Wichita. Has. Football.

T

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                  Ideally, the city could build a massive stadium (50k) downtown and really make it Wichita's team. Then we could bring in a *gags* soccer *gags* franchise too. Give the ticket and sponsorship revenue to Wichita State and the city/county gets the concessions plus a moderate rental fee if there is a shortfall. This would be a pure cultural investment into the community which the local major employers would be deliriously happy for. Wichita. Has. Football.

T

I generally agree with you (which has caused an examination of conscience), but building a massive football facility anywhere is a terrible idea. Across sports, teams are building smaller stadiums. Every new baseball stadium is smaller. NFL stadiums are being built smaller (49ers is most recent example and they cut 5,000 seats). TV is becoming a more enjoyable experience for a lot of fans and nothing is worse than entire sections being tied off.

Yes, some college football facilities are seeing expansion, but only the richest football tradition programs in college towns.

Should WSU being back football, 20,000 (built with more thought and intelligence than IBA) with the possibility to expand would be max. And it would certainly need to accommodate soccer (also gasp) so it's used more than six times a year.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                    C0|dB|00ded commented
                    Editing a comment
                    How long ago was this?

Koch spends like $400 million per election cycle and has given substantial amounts to the university. He literally has money to burn. Laughing seems like an inappropriate response given his history with WSU and Wichita.

T

• WstateU
                    WstateU commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You're killing me proshox…

https://media.giphy.com/media/ZeB5RzwVdzO8M/giphy.gif

• proshox
                    proshox commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My read... it wasn't in the strategic interest of WSU/Koch!

So I caught a bit of practice this week.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                    C0|dB|00ded commented
                    Editing a comment
                    When did you go Doc, I think I saw you. ^_^

T

• IndianaShocker
                    IndianaShocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Elaborate please

• C0|dB|00ded
                    C0|dB|00ded commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Doc can't talk openly because he signed away his rights. Everything he says must be white-washed. ;)

That's why I watch summer scrimmages.

Plus, Gregg Marshall scares me. O_o

T

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Funny... but he was referring to the TRUE epicenter of state of Kansas Football .... Butler County Community College.
                  Speaking of JUCO football, Last Chance U (Independence CC) was good as long as you can handle an f bomb every 30 seconds. Marshall and Jason Brown might be similar in that regard. Couple of Wichita State logo cameos throughout the season.

Comment

• WstateU
                    WstateU commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I binge-watched the entire season last weekend. Jason Brown makes the Trailer Park Boys look like choir boys. I started a drinking game and took a 'swig' of beer each time he said the 'F word'; had to quit after the first 15 minutes of the show. Reminds me of a scene from Forrest Gump: "There was this man giving a talk, and for some reason he was wearing an American flag for a shirt. And he liked to say the 'F word' a lot. "F this" and "F that". And every time he said the 'F word' people, for some reason, well, they cheered."

I really liked the show and have enjoyed all 3 seasons. Like you, I would recommend as long as people aren't easily offended. There's a lot in the show that will offend sensitive people. Unfortunately, Last Chance U is a microcosm of society and the challenges facing small town America.

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Go Moundbuilders! We won five consecutive conference titles in the late 90s, early 2000s, 3 of which we’re in the 3 years I was there. We also were in the midst of a 20+ year streak of men’s and women’s track/in door track/cross country championships...literally more than two decades since we didn’t finish first in all six sports.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

• Shockm
                    Shockm commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I threw you a bone and you’re welcome.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                  X