Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

C0|db|00ded's Annual Summer Scrimmage Slamma Jamma Extravaganza!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We will have a couple transfers

Comment

• Ashockalypse
      Ashockalypse commented
      Editing a comment
      Some people seem to be happier about having people transfer than if everyone were to work out and we would have lots of depth like all of our successful teams. Anyway it seems kind of classless that before a game has even been played and within two to three months of gleefully signing these high potential recruits, we are already talking about a couple transferring and that we "need" them to. In order to reach their potential, the head coach is going to ask them to test themselves harder than anything they've done in their lives, so they don't really need us to be talking about how we need a couple of them to go away no matter what the realities are in the past numbers. You ready to just pick a couple now? Coming to our school from a long way away, as any school, is quite an adjustment for a freshmen, we "need" to just welcome them and wish them well and not act like spoiled ass fans who can just easily replace them next recruiting season. I am confident that even the MAN that has to give the reality talks every spring doesn't go into the season saying look to the left of you and look to the right of you, one of you wont be here next year. If he did, we wouldn't get anyone to go to WSU. I'm sure if he was in charge of Shockernet, there would be some "transfers" out.

• C0|dB|00ded
      C0|dB|00ded commented
      Editing a comment
      I would be perfectly happy if we had zero transfers and everybody was a star. While it's really hard on the coaches, I'm not scared at all of a total roster turnover in a few years with the kind of players we are bringing in. They just keep getting better and better.

Plus, if our entire roster stays, that means we are VERY good and in a few years will have the deepest, most experienced team on the planet.

T

...:cool:

• Aargh
      Aargh commented
      Editing a comment
      While it is possible for "everybody to work out", if that were to happen, then players will transfer because they could be starters at a lot of other schools.

We're going to have transfers, either because the players are too good to come off the bench or because they are too bad to come off the bench. The ones who transfer open up slots for younger players who may be willing to wait a year or two for their turn to shine. It also allows for corrections with additional scholarships available.

And this is why I’m glad and appreciate that this guy is back.

Thank you Cold.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Some players transfer every year... Facts

Comment

• OregonShocker
        OregonShocker commented
        Editing a comment
        Whaaa...?! I thought it was just the programs with problems! ;-)

Originally posted by choida View Post
      Some players transfer every year... Facts
      Oh, thanks, I think I will get all my facts from you in the future. Your so insightful. I thought all those players that didn't return had passed away. I did bother to google "choida" and the urban dictionary clarified everything.

Comment

• im4wsu
        im4wsu commented
        Editing a comment
        And the looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong off season lingers on

Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
      Thanks for confirming your comments reflect your personal observations of a scrimmage or scrimmages; I asked as my observations are limited to highlight reels made available via the internet. I am surprised that JE is our best 5 at this point in time; I thought AM's year on the bench and practicing with last years squad would give him a head start.

After reading all the relevant posts on Shockernet I remain undecided as to which players will earn starter status and first off the bench by position.
      AM could end up being our starting center when it's all said and done. You never know how a player is going to react to D1 speed, refereeing, and complicated schemes. All I know is JE looks very solid and has a lot of pluses you just can't teach. I was actually surprised to learn he was legit 6'11 because of the way he moves.

Jaime is also a very polite person which could hold him back when it comes to stepping on throats and crushing souls for the win. I hope he has a Colombian beast hidden deep inside and unleashes it at the start of the season.

Being polite does not always equate to placidity on the court however. One of the nicest guys I've ever met was Tekele Cotton... the nastiest defensive player ever. Go figure that one out.

T

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
        C0|dB|00ded commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the recruiting thread recap! I'm glad the comments in there concur with what I saw and it wasn't just an aberration. The big boy is nimble. But what impressed me (and AM) the most is his length. His arms are gonna be a problem...

We just have to pray he's not a fouling machine.

T

• shock
        shock commented
        Editing a comment
        shocks02- Lufile also had poor stats in junior college. I asked a friend of mine who played with him and he said big men usually don’t put out stats at the juco level. He equated it to effort demanded by coaches from big men.

• C0|dB|00ded
        C0|dB|00ded commented
        Editing a comment
        Effort, attitude, good size, and great feet were Lufile's strengths. If JE brings Lufile's intangibles combined with his own substantial physical complements... look out son.

T

Cold can be prone to hyperbole in his player evaluation. His outlook on Dexter Dennis is not. I was told by a hiGhly-tRustEd hoops Guru Genius that Dexter Dennis would be the next Shocker NBA player.

I am buying that stock now.
      78-65

Comment

What is the story with Dexter and how did he go unnoticed by the evaluators if he is so good?

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
          C0|dB|00ded commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe he grew up in Podunkia, maybe he was surrounded by zero talent and played in a weak league, maybe he started playing basketball late, maybe he grew late. I really have no idea as nearly everything about him screams blue chip. And the only reason I say nearly is because I'm trying hard to moderate my enthusiasm.

I'm still kind of shocked that Landry went first round. This guy I wouldn't be. He makes Landry seem unathletic in comparison. Like I said before, if he keeps raining down three's... He Gone!

T

I have no reason to doubt that Dexter is not as good as Cold states and I hope he makes a ton of money in the NBA.

But he can perhaps make a lot more money as a 1, 2 or 3 draft choice after he is instrumental in the the Shockers winning the 2021/22 NCAAT.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
          C0|dB|00ded commented
          Editing a comment
          That would be nice.

Let me try and think up some negatives on DD...

He might not be a legit 6'5. If not, he's close. He's definitely taller than Erik by a ways. might be 6'4.5. I was trying to use myself as a reference but I wasn't wearing bball shoes.

I cannot recall any memorable drives and stunning finishes in traffic. Most of his jaw-dropping dunks were setups or breakaways. Make no mistake though, he moves very well with the ball. Maybe he just didn't want to get hammered in a summer scrimmage. Erik on the other hand penetrated constantly and was very, very efficient at it. Erik will likely be a bigger Shocker star than DD, but DD has his NBA ticket punched if he shows solid fundamentals, attitude, and shoots 40%+ from three. He's just got the gift kid.

That's one thing Maurice Evans excelled at as a Shocker. He could finish damn near every time he went to the rack. I can't recall why or how he was so good at it but he was money if he choose to go to the hole. It might have partly been due to the weakness of the MVC. Old Roy Boy cried like a little girl when Mo choose WSU. He was a legit 5 star player with a legit 5 star attitude. Give him some credit though, he wasn't going to go around crawling on his knees for loose balls until they bled like Randy wanted him to do.

Maybe DD is our second shot at another Mo Evans. He sure as hell looks like him in many spooky ways. Will he play Cotton-esque defense? That would be a wonderous thing but I doubt it. He's too pretty and he knows it. He won't be a slouch though.

T

Basketball season can’t get here fast enough

Comment

tFirst want to echo others' thanks on here Cold for your observations. Second, I'm really thrilled to hear that many of these players are, thus far, living up to the hype. I'm particularly thrilled about your thoughts on Erik. Have to admit, I've liked him from the beginning and have followed him on Twitter since it was clear we were really terse ting him. He has the makings of a real leader and I believe that was something that was sorely lacking last year. FWIW, I hope he takes that mantle this year. I'm not convinced MM is up to the task. But I'm really excited about Dexter. The way Waterman talked about him sounded like hyperbole and after 3G brought Waterman on as an assistant coach I thought, maybe there's something to this Dennis kid. Your report seems to confirm he is the real deal. Damn, 3G seems to have reloaded, yet again! Our AAC foes are going to learn very quickly what frustrated the hell out of our Valley foes. Bring it!

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
            C0|dB|00ded commented
            Editing a comment
            It's funny you mention Waterman.

I was saying earlier how we should use one of our open assistant coaching spots to bring in a 5-star player. Maybe we kinda just did. Who knows what Waterman demanded when he, GG, and DD sat down at the kitchen table.

Sure Waterman had some history with Gregg, but let's be totally honest, he was a 40+ yr old prep coach...

More is gonna come out about DD. He could have signed anywhere.

T

• shock
            shock commented
            Editing a comment
            I see the Waterman hire as Gregg having his cake and eating it too. He still has his prep connection on the bench, but he also gained a defensive mind. Add Lou to the mix and my projections have gone from 4-5th to 2nd-3rd

• WstateU
            WstateU commented
            Editing a comment
            It's nice to have big-boy toys at your disposal when you need it...

"I said, 'Coach, you better warm up the jet, baby, because we got something down here in Tennessee that you need to come see,'" Waterman said. "I felt very good about giving him first dibs on (Dennis) because of our relationship. Coach Marshall is a hell of a coach and I can't wait to see him turn Dexter into something vicious."

https://media.giphy.com/media/Btn42lfKKrOzS/giphy.gif

Two and a half years ago... he did this.

And now he's a man.

T

Comment

• ShockdaWorld
            ShockdaWorld commented
            Editing a comment
            As much as I love the dunk, I might like it even more that afterwards, he just turned and sprinted back on defense. Very Cotton-esque

I know you said timing can be random, but where does one go to see these scrimmages? Assuming it's open to the public?

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
            C0|dB|00ded commented
            Editing a comment
            Koch Arena or the adjoining practice gym.

T

Originally posted by Dan View Post
          What is the story with Dexter and how did he go unnoticed by the evaluators if he is so good?
          Southern Lab is in Baton Rouge. They are a consistently good program. They play team basketball, and like Gregg Marshall teams its normally a team effort.

The issue with that team is most of them went or are going to be playing D1 football. No one was there to recruit the basketball players as it was known they were going to be playing football in college.

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
            Two and a half years ago... he did this.

And now he's a man.

T

Can’t pass on this classic...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

There's more to the story...

Jaime and Rod are total gym rats. They literally get teased by teammates for being in the gym so much.

What if I told you that JE is absolutely deadly from mid-range. And when practicing can catch, turn, and pop from 15 all day long. I mean swish after swish, after mind-numbing swish. He's got a high release too brother. His shot looks a lot like Paul Miller to be honest.

It's official JE is my new EO. I've got it bad folks.

I just can't help myself... I love 'em big.

T

Comment

Working...
            X