Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rashard

Good story on Rashard.

It also seems to confirm what many of us had suspected about the loss of Jans and Heir... Hopefully they will get that 'dog' or at least the 'play angry' bit back in place this year.

“I don’t think we had that same dog in us as usual,” Kelly said. “The dog that Fred (VanVleet), Tekele (Cotton), and Ron (Baker) had. And then coach (Chris) Jans was a great defensive coach and so was Greg Heier. We lost both of those guys and they were some key pieces.”
    Straight from the horse's mouth
    The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

Straight from the horse's mouth
      I find this quote utterly chilling. It implies things I do not want to think about.

T

...:cool:

Comment

• BOBB
        BOBB commented
        Editing a comment
        C0|dB|00ded care to expand?

• C0|dB|00ded
        C0|dB|00ded commented
        Editing a comment
        I find a player's public statement about the impact any assistant coach has on the implementation of Play Angry basketball chilling. I start envisioning the ghost of Tad Boyle...

T

Originally posted by Windiwu View Post
      Good story on Rashard.

https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...214710525.html

It also seems to confirm what many of us had suspected about the loss of Jans and Heir... Hopefully they will get that 'dog' or at least the 'play angry' bit back in place this year.
      The team didn’t totally achieve their preseason aspirations. Additionally, some players didn’t improve on their performance from past years. That includes Seniors like Brown and Nurger (also Mcduffie whose injury may have something to do with him), and Landry wasn’t up to Fred’s standards either imo). Having 6 Seniors isn’t good for chemistry and losing two long time assistants isn’t good for chemistry either. Some finger pointing and blaming of others is almost always the result. Lots of reasons for not ending the season as high as expected and it’s a fine line between losing close games and winning in the NCAA tourney. That’s why I’m puzzled for extremely high optimism for a young inexperienced team this upcoming year. I just don’t see it and some need to temper their enthusiasm.

Comment

• Windiwu
        Windiwu commented
        Editing a comment
        I cannot see what I said that insinuates I am pumping undeserved sunshine on our new young team.

• Shockm
        Shockm commented
        Editing a comment
        I didn’t attribute that comment to you. The finger pointing was my point to your text which didn’t disagree with you but added to it. My main point would be that Rashard has his opinion but that is his opinion and there are many possibilities of blame in addition to what he said. I didn’t mention it but we would have been better off if Rashard had been a capable shooter from even 15’. He had a lot os skills but sometimes we played 4 against 5 with him in the game.

From what I’ve seen most fans are extremely optimistic. I’m somewhat optimistic too but I’m more hopeful than confident.

Youth is wasted on the young...and I was a shining example of that with some idiot choices that I made as a youngster, so I get it.

BUT...

Rashard's comment about lamenting what could have been really bothered me. Why? Because Gregg told them exactly that towards the end of the season. He told them that unless they won the national title, they'd inevitably look back and wish that they would have done this or wish they could have done that to have more success...and Gregg told them that they had time to do those things now so that they wouldn't have regrets.
      78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
        Youth is wasted on the young...and I was a shining example of that with some idiot choices that I made as a youngster, so I get it.

BUT...

Rashard's comment about lamenting what could have been really bothered me. Why? Because Gregg told them exactly that towards the end of the season. He told them that unless they won the national title, they'd inevitably look back and wish that they would have done this or wish they could have done that to have more success...and Gregg told them that they had time to do those things now so that they wouldn't have regrets.
        3f0b1beb80eb32cc64f83d04faca1e72.jpg

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

BUT...

Some truth to that, but my parents used to tell me to do my homework, but they didn't make sure my homework got done. Then when grades came out everyone was surprised.

Coach telling them is one thing. Ultimately, demanding accountability is another. I don't think these guys were ever held accountable this season. Nobody went to the dog house for extended periods for not doing the little things. I understand we tried to put the best players on the floor, but the result was a failure to live up to the potential.

Full circle, if a review of my completed homework had been a condition of me getting out the door, watching the tube or posting up on the NES, it damn sure would have been done.
          Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• im4wsu
            im4wsu commented
            Editing a comment
            It seemed like Shaq and Conner got some doghouse time. Maybe that's just my Alzheimer's kicking in. And Samajae, perhaps.

Former Lakers training camp invitee Robert Upshaw and Wichita State forward Rashard Kelly performed well and headlined the standout prospects from the 2018 Worldwide Invitational.

Back to Rashard?

Comment

• WSUwatcher
            WSUwatcher commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, Windi -- I think Rashard will make good money playing basketball, although probably not in this country unless he really refines his shot. But there are worse things when you're young than seeing the world and making a comfortable living while doing it.

As for the laments, I don't doubt that they have some validity, but if just one shot less had fallen for Cincy (I'm thinking of the three Evans limped into at the top of the circle with about six minutes left, for example), or one more for WSU in that game at CKA, the season might have taken a dramatically different turn, lasted a good bit longer, and there would have been far fewer reasons to look back with regret. The margin can literally be that close sometimes -- one might say that for want of a nail, the war was lost. So why not just move on?

I call last year a Mulligan

Comment

Originally posted by Windiwu View Post
            One of favorite recent Shockers! Heck of a player. Has more to show after college. Good for him!!! Go Rashard...Go Shocks!!!!!
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

He seems to be a Ramon Clemente type of player. I think he will have similar professional success.
              Livin the dream

Comment

Not the same skill set, but I’d expect something of a Takele kind of career for Rashard. I think he will be much more effective offensively at the next level, wherever that is.
                "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Rashard looked good in summer scrimmages. He was probably the highest energy guy out there. Of course it helps that he doesn't have to lift all day or attend practice. He just gets to drop in and ball out. He was showing a different look - much more offense-minded. Still has a problem finishing around the rack at times. Hit a couple threes. His dribbling has improved a bit.

T

Comment

Is Rashard back in town playing with the newbies?

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                      C0|dB|00ded commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes. A different kind of Rashard. It's weird and fun to watch.

T

Parma?
                    For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
                    - said no one ever...

Comment

Working...
                    X