• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thx 72 and Stickboy.
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Obvious View Post
      Gregg will need coaching help. 10 newbies! Not all will be D1 studs.
      a218f5118174f0f4303a999ffa8a90c6.jpg

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

This staffing change does not bother me. After the defensive results last season and Marshall's attitude about defense, getting a fresh start with both players and assistant coaches should not be a big surprise.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

What's the common denominator here? There is where you will find your problem.

Comment

• WSUwatcher
            WSUwatcher commented
            Editing a comment
            What "problem," AR?

I appreciate your comments and observations about Reaves during his stay here, and I enjoyed watching him play. I hope he does well at his new home.
            As for the "problem," however, last year was a disappointment vs. expectations -- although it could very easily not have been; there's a fine line that unfortunately WSU ended up on the wrong side of just often enough to leave us wishing we could have had more, a sentiment no doubt shared far more strongly by Marshall and his crew.

In any case, the team's defensive end and toughness were not what we've come to expect, and their performance in close games was spotty. You probably have a different perspective, but from my point of view, the combination I just described was the bottom line problem, and I believe Marshall has quickly addressed it and look forward to seeing the results this season. 3G is not the most easygoing or patient coach, so I'm not surprised that he took quick action.

• shock
            shock commented
            Editing a comment
            I didn’t know migranes were contagious.

I think the common denominator is pretty obvious as well.

• ShockdaWorld
            ShockdaWorld commented
            Editing a comment
            I think you may have attached your cart to a pony facing in the wrong direction.

I think the results over the last 10 years here speak for themselves and in regards to anything being a “problem”.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ARShocker View Post
            The common denominator throughout Wichita State Basketball is that success is demanded and weakness is quickly culled.

By the way... how's your boy down in Oklahoma? Made any telegraphed passes lately?

T

...:cool:

Comment

Some here on SN scoff, but this isn't an unreasonable statement.
              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Sounds like someone knows what the common denominator is, but won't say. At least they think they know.... .
                Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

The common denominator throughout Wichita State Basketball is that success is demanded and weakness is quickly culled.

T

Yep.
                  FINAL FOURS:
                  1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                  1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                  Number of Times Ranked: 157
                  Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                  Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                  Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                  #3 - Dec. 2017
                  #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                  #2 ~ March 2014
                  Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Our common denominator just landed what might be his best hire in years and continues to bring in bigger and better players.

Your boy got a bunch of expensive surgeries paid for to glue his arms back on and then jetted out to "pursue his dreams". :highly_amused:

At least he'll be able to tell his grandchildren about the time he was once part of a top 5 college bball team playing for Hall-Of-Famer Gregg Marshall.

P.S. It's probably best you update your bookmarks. Here, let me help you out: https://ouhoops.com/forum/

P.S.S. If I were you, I'd start clearing your schedule now so you'll have ample time to defend Austin Reeves' honor next season. Something tells me you're likely to be quite busy once B12 play starts... :good:

T

Comment

You have made a number of quasi-cryptic statements about problems in the program. You have never stated what they were. If you cared about secrecy you wouldn't keep up with this "I know something you don't know" routine. So make a concrete allegation or give it up. You bumped a week old thread with this.

I was on board with the "where there's smoke there is fire" crowd early on, but now I'm not so sure. I think there is nothing wrong with the program other than a couple of bad hires and recruits that couldn't live up to their billing.

If the complaint is that HCGM is a churlish, demanding and sometimes petty man, then I think it is time to move on. He's been that for at least as long as he has been at WSU, I can't comment on Winthrop. It's not ideal, but it has worked for him and WSU.

Scott Thompson is by all accounts a terrific person.
                      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• SHOCKvalue
                        SHOCKvalue commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Donnie Jones was a really nice guy too.

Jans and Heiar are maybe not quite as much type A hair-on-fire types as Marshall is, but they're from the same family tree. Same goes for Forbes.

Disparate paths, MO's, and outcomes, and the latter sure seems to point only one direction.

• Bluzrover
                        Bluzrover commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Seems to me there are some coaches who aspire to run their own programs (Jans, Heiar perhaps) and others perfectly content to be long time assistants (none of Gregg's WSU assistants really come to mind). I just believe Gregg wants strong coaches who will give their all, buy into the program like his players are expected, give at least two years to the program (I'm looking at you Mr. Ford) and then allows them to grow and eventually move on when the timing is right (for both parties).

The proof, as they say, is in the pudding, and I'm looking forward to this season. I absolutely loved AR when he was a Shocker. He no longer is, and I have moved on.

• Topshock
                        Topshock commented
                        Editing a comment
                        As I have said before, stop drinking this guys cool aid. He knows nothing! Just a bitter man trying to stir the pot.

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

I don’t have a concern with the first portion of his statement. However, most who have played or worked for Marshall don’t view him as a problem. Fred, Ron, and most of 5heir teammates didn’t have a problem. In fact, Fred openly talked about him not having a problem with Gregg but not everyone can play for him. There are too many statements on here by people who don’t know. Did Gregg push his coaches out, or did they leave because of better opportunities (more money or for friendships), or because they leave because they didn’t like working for Gregg? The answer is that we don’t know for sure and passing along rumors from people who are ignorant to many facts is not becoming of anyone. If Austin couldn’t play for GM, that doesn’t make him a bad person nor does it make Arkansas Shocker a bad person.

I believe that Gregg is a good person too, even if he is difficult to work and play for. Chemistry is important and I hope all sides find places where they are happy. Life is too short to be unhappy and we need to wish all sides well and the hope they are content and happy.

Comment

• OregonShocker
                        OregonShocker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If all players liked/responded to the same coaching style, we'd only have one style of coaching. I don't think GH and CJ were forced out of the coaching wagon, but I'm sure HCGM is as demanding of his assistants as he is of his players and himself. And, like players, they all don't respond in the same way. But I have faith in HCGM and his abilities to get the right guys on board, both players and staff. And, if he sees an errant path, he will correct it.

Care to elaborate?

I didn’t think so.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

As my comment should have made clear, Kel, the operative word is "problem."

What is WSU's "problem?" If it's Marshall's personality and coaching style, which are obviously not for everyone, I for one am perfectly comfortable with that "problem" given that WSU's basketball results have never been better; indeed, in my view it isn't a real problem on balance at all.

Now, if we were talking about illegal, or unethical, or look-the-other-way Chickenhawk-style behavior, I'd be much more concerned. But as it is, I'm ultimately not much concerned at all. Yes, I wish Marshall were a nicer guy at times, just as I wish Nick Saban were a nicer guy at times. But they are what they are, and if their quirks are what we're stuck with because they don't want to change or are slow to do so -- and maybe even are part of the price of their success -- then so be it.

Comment

I'm for the Vladimir Putin style of moderation with respect to criticizing/disparaging Gregg Marshall personally/publicly at this point. Anybody on here old enough to remember Wichita State basketball before Gregg Marshall?

Substitute "we" with "he".

Gregg Marshall and Co. could crack a player upside the head with a Louisville Slugger and it would be justified in my book. Only after the second complaint would I stop for a moment in order to reflect. Nope! Still good. Carry on coach!

Weighing the pluses and minuses, the entire body of work, and it's like GTFO of here with your tears.

T

Comment

Working...
                          X