No announcement yet.

Missing pieces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think forward is our weakness going forward. Not so much this year, but looking at next year, we've recruited guards and centers. Next years forwards: JT, RC, AE, MG, AB. With the exception of Mr. Durley, I believe the rest of the group averages about 10PPG combined. Thats not enough productivity from that position, and I don't see help on the way for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by MadDog
      I think forward is our weakness going forward. Not so much this year, but looking at next year, we've recruited guards and centers. Next years forwards: JT, RC, AE, MG, AB. With the exception of Mr. Durley, I believe the rest of the group averages about 10PPG combined. Thats not enough productivity from that position, and I don't see help on the way for next year.
      AE and MG are both capable, or will be, of averaging ten on their own. There's no guarantee that happens next year of AE but it's not bad. If MG and AE both play SF next year we'll be alright. Nobody knows what to expect from Butler but I expect him to be more of a defensive presence than offensive. Ramon isn't a guy we brought in to score a lot of points. He's hear to rebound and be tough in the paint.

We'll be looking at two, seven foot centers. Power Forwards of JT Durley and Arbry Butler. Small Forwards of Ellis and Griskenas. That doesn't appear to be too bad to me. Ellis is still learning and shows a lot of potential. Griskenas is playing fine other than his shot not falling. That happens, but when it starts to go everybody will be thrilled. The kid can play.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I realize he hasn't even played yet, but back in High School, Bret Michael was a great shooter. That probably won't translate into success here, and I'm probably kind of blind since I went to school with the guy, but hey, I can dream...
        Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
        Students > Alumni
        If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
        The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

Originally posted by shox7
          Royal, you are correct those are two huge weaknesses. The other that I see is the lack of a backup point guard to Matt. Without the backup HCGM is not pressing as agressively full court as he did at Winthrop in order to try to save Matt's legs. He is consistantly playing 35+ minutes a game.

When HCGM came here he said his teams at Winthrop created offense from their defense, we haven't been able to do that consistantly. In part to no effective backup for MB...
          i'd say backup PG is a big problem as well.
          it just seems that the offense dies (even more so) when matt leaves the game.

if we could just shoot a respectable % from 3 land we will be able to beat plenty of the teams we face. for instance, the two previous losses... had one or two of those shots fell, we'd all be high on life right now.

another side note -
          wendell doesn't shoot much, BUT i wish he would never shoot.
          veni, vidi, vici

Comment

Needs

More consistent effort on defense.
            Better shooting. - not better shots better shooting.
            cut down on the TO's

We are 2 players away from having a 20 win season.
            If Mantas and Aaron get going with atleast 5-8ppg we should be good.

Comment

That's the question, will Mantas and Aaron get going? We need them to help balance out the team on offense as well as defense. They both seem like they are just a click away from being 'on target'.

My opinion regarding Durley has changed. He keeps up pretty much, and at least the guy can finish the ball, something lacking in some of our other players so far, except PJ, of course.

What has happened to Gal, he has dropped off from potential stud to run-around don't do much or lose the ball role player????? Seems like he is afraid of his outside shot lately, and that the trees are bothering him going inside.

Ramon is darn good defensively, need a little more help offensively from him.

I would like to see Bret Richards come off the bench at PG spelling Matt, and I would like to see how Butler could do with some minutes at the 4.

Phil is battling this year, but sometimes, he just is on an uphill slope. It is not his fault he is only 6'7" playing the 5 spot.

If we had 2 PJ's, we would be a much better team, but I still think that PJ is more effective at the 3 than the 2. PJ has reverted back to his flat shot again, which is why he hasn't hit as many lately.

I think everyone waits too long for someone else to start the scoring, break the ice, and when noone else does, then Matt does. Without outside scoring, we become way too predictable.

We are a lazy passing team, and it catches up with us. We lack 'quickness' on the team. We have some guys that are fast, like Matt, but we lack the quick inside moves good players have.

Comment

Working...
              X