Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 5 WSU Moments.......

That you ATTENDED. TV doesn't count.

Thanks to a great Shocker fan who shall remain nameless for the idea that I so blatantly stole.

In person, easy.

Matty B's 3 to win against Creighton back in 2006.

A close second was beating Tulsa at Tulsa in the Valley tournament in 1987, when they still played the games at the home of the higher seed.

Third would be getting the Oklahoma State regionals monkey off our back in baseball, can't remember the exact year, though.

Fourth would be the joy of clinching the Valley regular season title in 2006.

Fifth was a loss to Depaul in the NCAAs in 1988, but memorable for a different reason. I was used to hollering at the refs from where the band sat in then Levitt Arena - halfway up. I started in doing the same at the NCAA game at Notre Dame, and forgetting I was literally sitting on the baseline with band, had the man in stripes turn around and say, "son, I can hear you" but with a smile on his face. I told him I wasn't used to sitting on the floor! Funny moment.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Doc:

May I give you 8? :

1. Baseball National Championship
      2. Beating KU in football
      3. Battle of New Orleans
      4. Sweet 16 in 2006
      5. 1964 Final Four
      6. NIT Championship
      7. 1970 Arkansas football game after the wreck
      8. In 1972, watching Quniten Kaye block a punt against Louisville and seeing a 6'4' 255 lb Rich Dvorak pick up the blocked punt and out run Louisville's All American running back Howard Stevens 50 yards for a touchdown.

Comment

1. Welcome home party from NIT
        2. Creighton game with MB 3 at the buzzer
        3. Football game against Illinois St., a 17-10 loss on 11/8/86. The only football game I ever attended.
        4. NIT game vs. Florida State
        5. Brummett beating Arkansas in the opening game of the 1989 CWS.

Comment

In no particular order. The Florida State NIT game. Was a great all around experience even though we lost. The '06 victory over Illinois State that clinched the Valley Title and the court storming afterward. Paul Miller almost single handedly taking down SIU in extra time. The airport welcoming home the Sweet 16 team. Working the Elite camp as an official.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

All Basketball:

(1) Comeback to beat Iowa before Battle of New Orleans
            (2) Beating Cincinnati on Van Eman's buzzer beater
            (3) Stallworth scoring first 13 and last 11 vs Cincinnati
            (4) WSU vs. Ohio State with Lucas, Havlichek & Siegfried
            (5) Seeing Bill Russell & KC Jones in Rondhouse
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
            ---------------------------------------
            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by PCDShocker
              Doc:

May I give you 8? :

3. Battle of New Orleans
              4. Sweet 16 in 2006
              5. 1964 Final Four
              6. NIT Championship
              8. In 1972, watching Quniten Kaye block a punt against Louisville and seeing a 6'4' 255 lb Rich Dvorak pick up the blocked punt and out run Louisville's All American running back Howard Stevens 50 yards for a touchdown.
              You, Sir, have compiled an impressive list of Shocker moments. Very well done.

Comment

AC putting up 47.

Comment

Stallworth putting up 46 against #1 ranked Cincy.
                  Van Eman's shot from the corner against Cincy.
                  89 National Championship game.
                  Beating Syracuse in 06.
                  Beating KU in football.
                  Sweet 16 in 06. (Met PCDShocker on the Mall).

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                    Originally posted by PCDShocker
                    Doc:

May I give you 8? :

3. Battle of New Orleans
                    4. Sweet 16 in 2006
                    5. 1964 Final Four
                    6. NIT Championship
                    You, Sir, have compiled an impressive list of Shocker moments. Very well done.
                    Not fair. Age discrimination!

Comment

I may have to think about this some more...but for now:

1. WSU defeats Iowa in the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament 1981 HLA.

2. WSU defeats Kansas in Lawrence 13-10 1982 Memorial Stadium

3. WSU defeats Illinois State to capture Valley title 2006 CKA

4. WSU beats Cal to advance to the CWS. 1991 ESTF

5. WSU beats Oklahoma State to advance to the Super Regional 2008 ARS

Comment

1) Randy Smithson free throws to beat Iowa in 1981 at HLA

2) 2011 NIT Championship in MSG

3) Cutting down the nets after beating Ill St in 2006 at CKA

4) Beating KU 13-10 in Lawrence at Memorial Stadium (1982?)

5) 2006 at ICT airport cheering the returning Sweet 16 Shockers on my son's 16th birthday

Comment

A. Carr breaking the single game scoring record. He was a man among foes that did not compare. I was there and it brought a tear to my eye. The Season we beat that super tall and impressive Russian National team in an exhibition game that did not count officially but was a unbelievable win.
                          Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan
                            A. Carr breaking the single game scoring record. He was a man among foes that did not compare. I was there and it brought a tear to my eye. The Season we beat that super tall and impressive Russian National team in an exhibition game that did not count officially but was a unbelievable win.
                            "Alexander Belostenny the hook.....missed....rebound goes out of bounds...Shocker ball!

It's over....the game's over! Wichita State has pulled off a MAJOR upset, beating one of the top teams in the world!"

Great call FSF.....that was a special game. And no new Carr sale that evening.

He's not my Vidas, he's not your Vidas, he's Arvydas Sabonis. That was a talented USSR team.

On a side note, Alexander Belostenny passed away last year at the entirely too young age of 51.

Comment

I don't usually post unlessto make a correction, but in this case I see that some of you are just to young.
                              1. The 1989 Baseball Nation Championship.
                              2. Randy's freethrows to beat Iowa, the #1
                              seed in our bracket. The loudest game ever
                              at the Roundhouse.
                              3. 1964 finalfour
                              4. 2006 Sweet sixteen
                              5. 2010 NIT Championship
                              6. Matty's Dagger in the Bluejays heart

Comment

Working...
                              X