Top 10 Players to Ever Play For Gregg Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 10 Players to Ever Play For Gregg Marshall

These are always "fun" because no one will ever agree on the list.

Cotton still can't get any love

Gregg Marshall has taken two different mid-major programs to new heights in his coaching career. Here are the 10 best players that he's coached.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

We all obviously slant towards the Wichita State guys. It would be interesting to ask someone like Earl Grant, Dana Ford, or even Kellen, who could speak better on the Winthrop guys.
    78-65

Comment

I can't speak about any of the Winthrop guys but I would absolutely swap Cotton for McDuffie.
      One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

• 60Shock
        60Shock commented
        Editing a comment
        Absolutely

I liked reading the comment(s) under that story. Especially when it's from a college basketball fan outside of the midwest and seems to follow college basketball universally.

COMMENT
      Good list! Gregg Marshall is a great coach and has had some really good players over the years. I particularly liked Tekele Cotton who was a great defender and ESPN highlight real dunker. I've read he brought in a massive amount of new recruits replacing a huge senior class from last season. Wonder if in that new group of Freshmen a few of those guys will make a Top-10 list eventually. Fun program to follow from where I live in Pac-10 country. He's a funny guy in interviews and it's cool to see a coach develope a lot of those "under the radar" guys into NBA players he seems to find. How many players has he turned into 5 star caliber players under his tutelage. Good story.
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Man Baker behind Early, I can't buy it.

Comment

No Cotton, Hall or Armstead? No so sure of this list
          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by Horn28Clem30 View Post
            Man Baker behind Early, I can't buy it.
            Probably go no further than the "Big Stage" to understand why Early might be consider over Baker.

First, I looked at the bigger named games. In 2012-13 and 2013-14 I looked at the Gonzaga, Ohio St, Louisville, and Kentucky games. Now, while Baker was only a freshman/sophomore and Early a junior/senior, Early was also drawing the main attention of the others teams' defense.

Baker performed very well in these games as an underclassman. 15-31/.484 FG%, 11-19/.579 3pt%, 15-15/1.000 FT% and 56 points for a 14.0 average.

However, the upperclassman Early was not affected by the extra attention he was receiving. As the Shocks leading scorer for those 2 years, he actually over-performed on the big stage. 31-51/.608 FG%, 12-21/.571 3pt%, 9-11/.818 FT%, and 83 points or 20.8 per game. He also had just under 8 rebounds per game. He was the leading scorer in 3 of these 4 games (tying once with Baker).

How did Baker perform on this stage as a junior/senior and as the team's leading scorer? I used 6 games: Indiana, Kansas, Notre Dame, Vandy, Arizona, and Miami. The stats: 23-69/.333 FG%, 9-34/.265 3pt%, 19-22/.867 FT%, and scored 74 or 12.3 ppg (less than he did as a freshman/sophomore). Baker tied FVV as the lead scorer in 1 game and, stat-wise, underperformed to his season stats.

So out of 10 games, Baker tied as leading scorer twice. Early out of 4 games lead twice, tied once. As a note, FVV tied or lead the team in scoring 6 of those 10 games while also receiving a lot of attention from the opposing teams.

I know there is a lot more to all this than just scoring, but on the national stage, that gets a lot of attention. Early was clearly dominate. FVV was clearly dominate. Ron, not so much. I'm not knocking Ron, but maybe you can see why others would put Early over Baker.

Comment

• Topshock
              Topshock commented
              Editing a comment
              I have always felt that, how good Early was, particularly in big games has been underrated by many Shocker fans.

Lord have mercy.... Cotton should be at least number 6 on this list, and there's a legit argument to put him ahead of Landry, IMO.

Comment

He lost me at McDuffie.

Comment

• Good News
                Good News commented
                Editing a comment
                He lost me with the grammar, and then hit me in the temple with the rubber McDuffie mallet. Whoever said those other names, thank you. I will repeat - Cotton, Armstead, Hall. And I'll raise you a Ragland. And unless I see some major improvement this year, I'm saying Cousinard > McDuffie.

• WichitaStateGuy
                WichitaStateGuy commented
                Editing a comment
                Did PJ play for Marshall?

• Good News
                Good News commented
                Editing a comment
                PJ's last year was Marshall's first year.

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
              These are always "fun" because no one will ever agree on the list.

Cotton still can't get any love

https://bustingbrackets.com/2018/05/...regg-marshall/
              I love Cotten.
              "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
                No Cotton, Hall or Armstead? No so sure of this list
                Armstead?
                "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• kcshocker11
                  kcshocker11 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Key figure in our final 4 run

• ShockingButTrue
                  ShockingButTrue commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Armstrong

Cotton deserves a place in front of Markis at this point. However, McDuffie may deserve it again after next year. How we forget that MM was one of our best two players a year ago (16-17) and our best player will be in The League next year while MM was hurt this year.

As for the Winthrop guys, I don’t know which names but a couple of them earned a cup of coffee in “The League” just as Toure did. But there was no Final 4 or Undefeated season (and #1 Seed) for them. McDuffie has the talent to be really special and I’ll wait to see if he puts it together this year.

Comment

Cotton was not a scorer. He was mainly a defender and a highlight reel.

Comment

• Shockadaisical
                    Shockadaisical commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Cotton IMO did whatever was needed in any given game. There were games when he stepped up and scored more. He was the swiss army knife for the team. He had a lot of tools, yet deferred most of the time on scoring. Consummate team player. I definitely put him ahead of Mcduffie at this point.

Cotton makes my personal top 5 most missed players that played for 3G. Way more prestigious list!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Probably go no further than the "Big Stage" to understand why Early might be consider over Baker.

First, I looked at the bigger named games. In 2012-13 and 2013-14 I looked at the Gonzaga, Ohio St, Louisville, and Kentucky games. Now, while Baker was only a freshman/sophomore and Early a junior/senior, Early was also drawing the main attention of the others teams' defense.

Baker performed very well in these games as an underclassman. 15-31/.484 FG%, 11-19/.579 3pt%, 15-15/1.000 FT% and 56 points for a 14.0 average.

However, the upperclassman Early was not affected by the extra attention he was receiving. As the Shocks leading scorer for those 2 years, he actually over-performed on the big stage. 31-51/.608 FG%, 12-21/.571 3pt%, 9-11/.818 FT%, and 83 points or 20.8 per game. He also had just under 8 rebounds per game. He was the leading scorer in 3 of these 4 games (tying once with Baker).

How did Baker perform on this stage as a junior/senior and as the team's leading scorer? I used 6 games: Indiana, Kansas, Notre Dame, Vandy, Arizona, and Miami. The stats: 23-69/.333 FG%, 9-34/.265 3pt%, 19-22/.867 FT%, and scored 74 or 12.3 ppg (less than he did as a freshman/sophomore). Baker tied FVV as the lead scorer in 1 game and, stat-wise, underperformed to his season stats.

So out of 10 games, Baker tied as leading scorer twice. Early out of 4 games lead twice, tied once. As a note, FVV tied or lead the team in scoring 6 of those 10 games while also receiving a lot of attention from the opposing teams.

I know there is a lot more to all this than just scoring, but on the national stage, that gets a lot of attention. Early was clearly dominate. FVV was clearly dominate. Ron, not so much. I'm not knocking Ron, but maybe you can see why others would put Early over Baker.

In addition, Shock Talk, Early's superb performances against both Blue Bloods, Louisville in the Final Four, and Kentucky the following year, have to rank right up there among the best ever against two schools that were at the top of their game when we played them..

Comment

Working...
                    X