Wrap up from KC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrap up from KC

I actually expected a little more of a meltdown here when I returned but I suspect there are quite a few fans still in transit from the game.

I am surprised that someone didn't report on GS. From my vantage point there were about a dozen fans in attendance.

Here is a brief analysis of what I saw.

Coach Marshall said it best a while back. If he were 6'5" he would still be a player. He is tall but not razor thin. He does need to improve both conditioning and foot speed. He is not fast. He must get thicker and stronger. He can get pushed around at times. Read on for the pluses.

Someone mentioned earlier that he should score more than the 12 points he had in an early game. Here's the deal. His team is not good and all but one kid has little, if any, understanding of the game of basketball. They can go for 5 possessions without getting him the ball. He often times faced a box and 1.

That's a box of 4 around him and 1 guy zoning the other 4 guys. I suspect that GS has been frustrated on more than 1 occassion with his team this year.

Here is the good news. I had him for 25, 13 and 9 blocks. Those are pretty good numbers when you are triple teamed most of the time. He was 9-12 from the FT line. His understanding of the game is super. He coaches the other 4 guys all the time, trying to get them into the right places. Here is a brief list of things GM will NOT have to teach GS. He will not drop the ball to his knees after catching it or getting a rebound. He never stops working the O boards. He uses both hands effectively. He will not shoot from the left side with his right hand. If you did not see him shoot FTs you wouldn't know if he was left or right handed. He would be effective for us RIGHT NOW in short spurts. We do not have anyone nearly as well skilled offensively in the post and outside of Paul Miller's senoir season, we haven't had one in about 20 years. He can shoot the 3. He is the real deal. He'll play next year, a lot. He has plenty of things to work on, but what high school player doesn't? I have no idea if he will grow any more but it certainly doesn't seem out of the question considering he is only 17 and his dad goes about 6'8" I'd guess and maybe in the 265 range. He has a couple of decent sized brothers and those driveway games must be something to behold.

BTW, he is a GREAT young man from an even better family. We are very fortunate.

I may or may not comment more on the UMKC throughout the day. Shocker fans outnumbered Roo fans at least 3 to 1. Maybe 4 to 1. I never felt good about the game. We built a lead when UMKC was missing easy shots and FTs. There were so many things that went wrong......I am pretty much at a loss right now.

The Schlagle band was a real treat. The Roo cheerleaders and dance team were not. OUCH!

KC, I hate to pick on you but the .500 finish could be way off. Right now I defy anyone to tell me where the next win is coming from......Unless things change, 8th place is out of the question. We'll be lucky to stay out of the basement. I am not saying it's going to happen, but that's the way it is today and now.

Worry all you want about this year. I understand. About next year, however, do not. Help is on the way and things are going to be dramatically different from day 1. We will compete for the Valley title next year, mark my words.

On a side note I would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy Holidays to all the Shocker Nation, friends and family. As I really do not want to engage in an endless pissing match regarding the state of the team, I will be taking an extended vacation from this forum. Not that I have any answers but I will check pm if there are any. Happy New Year to all and keep the faith folks.

Glad to hear that GS is the real deal from someone who has seen him play. His basketball skills are a plus, especially if he knows how to play down low with both hands and protects the ball.

Comment

OakPark had a BIG 6'7" guy who wasn't a defensive slouch. This one time GS hard posts across the lane (OP went man about 3 possessions, this being one such) catches the ball up high, gives the kid who is draped all over him the "stand up straight and lean back to create some room" move, fakes one way and spin dribbles left, with his left, for a simple little bunny. It was a thing of beauty, totally natural, not 'thought about' and a real NBA move.

I cannot emphasize enough this guys basketball skills.

Comment

Doc,
        Thanks for the update. I've heard nothing but superlatives about GS. I look forward to seeing him in person. 8)
        Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
          OakPark had a BIG 6'7" guy who wasn't a defensive slouch. This one time GS hard posts across the lane (OP went man about 3 possessions, this being one such) catches the ball up high, gives the kid who is draped all over him the "stand up straight and lean back to create some room" move, fakes one way and spin dribbles left, with his left, for a simple little bunny. It was a thing of beauty, totally natural, not 'thought about' and a real NBA move.

I cannot emphasize enough this guys basketball skills.
          Thanks Doc!

T

...8)

Comment

Re: Wrap up from KC

KC, I hate to pick on you but the .500 finish could be way off. Right now I defy anyone to tell me where the next win is coming from......Unless things change, 8th place is out of the question. We'll be lucky to stay out of the basement. I am not saying it's going to happen, but that's the way it is today and now.
            Don't worry about it, actually my .500 prediction was best case scenario. I'm trying to temper by realistic view in light of so many people hating my guts and might threaten my life if I said what I really think. But since you commented on my prediction I am going to say that after looking at the upcoming schedule this team is going to have issues.

LSU - loss
            UAB - loss
            DU - loss
            ISU - 50/50 I'll say win since we are at home.
            @BU - loss
            @MSU-50/50 same as ISU
            CU - loss
            @ISU -50/50
            @SIU -loss
            UNI - win
            BU - loss
            MSU - win
            @CU - loss
            @UE - win
            IndSt - win
            @UNI - loss
            SIU - win
            @IndSt - win
            we won't be invited to a Bracket Buster game
            UE - win
            @DU - loss

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
              Don't worry about it, actually my .500 prediction was best case scenario. I'm trying to temper by realistic view in light of so many people hating my guts and might threaten my life if I said what I really think. But since you commented on my prediction I am going to say that after looking at the upcoming schedule this team is going to have issues.

LSU - loss
              UAB - loss
              DU - loss
              @BU - loss
              @MSU-50/50 same as ISU
              CU - loss
              @ISU -50/50
              @SIU -loss
              UNI - win
              BU - loss
              MSU - win
              @CU - loss
              @UE - win
              IndSt - win
              @UNI - loss
              SIU - win
              @IndSt - win
              UE - win
              @DU - loss
              lol. what a pessimist.

i think we can still be 4th or 5th in the valley.
              veni, vidi, vici

Comment

BTW, he is a GREAT young man from an even better family. We are very fortunate.
                Agreed.

One thing I liked was the fact that the Stutz family moved at halftime down to where Mrs. Marshall and Schaus were sitting after talking to them through halftime. I'm happy to have GS and his family.

I did noticed that Jared Young was also at the game.. which I thought was nice to see. He talked with Schaus at halftime for a few minutes, which seemed pleasant. I wish he would have worked out as a Shocker, but what can you do.

Comment

Originally posted by notquiteBWing
                  Originally posted by KC Shox

LSU - loss
                  UAB - loss
                  DU - loss
                  @BU - loss
                  @MSU-50/50 same as ISU
                  CU - loss
                  @ISU -50/50
                  @SIU -loss
                  UNI - win
                  BU - loss
                  MSU - win
                  @CU - loss
                  @UE - win
                  IndSt - win
                  @UNI - loss
                  SIU - win
                  @IndSt - win
                  UE - win
                  @DU - loss
                  lol. what a pessimist.

i think we can still be 4th or 5th in the valley.
                  We will play a game on bracketbuster weekend, but it'll be a team with a 200 RPI. So win?

But other than that, I really think KC is being optimistic with his predictions. I really don't want to say that, but if they don't change, they aren't gonna even do that well.

Comment

I hate to say it, but I wish there were more meltdowns on the board....I mean we lost to UM FReakn KC....
                    I guess we are worse than I thought....

BTW losing to UMKC is not going to help recruiting...

Comment

Garrett's dad is BIG - would like to see Garrett be even close to the size (weight wise) of his dad by his Senior Year - he would be a freakin All-American if his skill progress along with his weight...

I got to meet his dad at the Pep Rally and you're right Doc. His family is something special.. you can tell just by being around them...

While I am realistic about our overall season record, I still think GM has the ability to have this team make some noise this year... if not, can't wait for next year..
                      Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by lawmaker
                        I hate to say it, but I wish there were more meltdowns on the board....I mean we lost to UM FReakn KC....

Gee big surprise...someone's giddy...way to kick us while we're down.

Comment

I thought there might be more meltdown here too.

I don't know exactly how to explain it. I start having bad memories of Cohen, Thompson, Smithson and Turgeon's early years and just realize that it does no good to get on suicide watch.

. . . and I have repressed memories of late season meltdowns in 2005 and 2007.

I am sure we had worse losses in Turgeon's first 3 years. That home loss to Oral Bob comes to mind.

And BTW, UMKC is an ok team. I was there in person and they seemed to me to be a mid-level MVC team. I guess we will see.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC

I thought there might be more meltdown here too.

I don't know exactly how to explain it. I start having bad memories of Cohen, Thompson, Smithson and Turgeon's early years and just realize that it does no good to get on suicide watch.

. . . and I have repressed memories of late season meltdowns in 2005 and 2007.

I am sure we had worse losses in Turgeon's first 3 years. That home loss to Oral Bob comes to mind.

And BTW, UMKC is an ok team. I was there in person and they seemed to me to be a mid-level MVC team. I guess we will see.
                            I'd agree with everything you just said, except the last part. UMKC is not good. They aren't even close to mid-level MVC. They are bottom level Summit. You can't hide the fact that they've lost 4 in a row, including both conference games, Eastern Washington and Northern Arizona. They are 10th in a 1 bid league.

BTW, where does that put us.

Comment

I have some questions for someone, who attended the game as follows:

1. How did UMKC manage 9 steals and the Shockers had none.

2. Clemente was 0-7. Why? Blocked shots? Poor shot selection? Fouled, but not called? Just plain ole poor shooting?

3. Ellis played 29 minutes, but only shot 3 times. I know he did a nice job on Brumagin, but how about the rest of his game? I am with Dr. Wu. The potential.

4. Wendell is a very fine person, but he cannot put the ball in the hole. How about Bret? Does he shoot well?

5. The Shockers were 4-17 from 3. Was the shot selection good?

6. Cousinard has always been foul prone. Many of his fouls are just plain dumb. How about Saturday night. Did he commit any dumb fouls, like reaching.

Observation:

The combination of fouls and turnovers by the Shockers was 40.

The combination of fouls and turnovers by UMKC was 30.

One more question:

Is it permissible to split basketball scholarships like baseball scholarships?

Comment

Working...
                              X