No announcement yet.

New Assistant Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No doubt-- IF Gregg retires / moves on in the next 5 years, Jans is our next guy.

Comment

I would love to revisit this thread if Gregg were to move in in next 5 years...I just hope that doesn't happen

Comment

This premise that Jans might not be a legitimate and validated coach is retarded. An opposing opinion for the sake of being an opposing opinion.

Might as well throw in some flat earther and staged moon landings convo for good measure while we’re at it.

Comment

Jans is a good coach. When that time comes, Jans will likely be one of the finalists.

Comment

Tyson Waterman@TeamTyson41 17h17 hours ago More
          • Copy link to Tweet
          • Embed Tweet

Thanks everyone who sent congratulatory and welcoming messages. We truly appreciate it. My family and I are extremely excited and proud to be joining the Shocker family. We look forward to seeing you in Wichita! To God be the Glory. GO SHOCKERS!!!!!!

Comment

Sooner rather than later, Jans will be the head coach at the flagship institution in his home state.
            "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
              I would love to revisit this thread if Gregg were to move in in next 5 years...I just hope that doesn't happen
              This is totally right. It appears that Jans (auto correct almost did Jan’s again) will be of high consideration but anyone who can read 5 years in the future with total certainty shouldn’t be in a leadership position. Yes to long term planning and an AD who has a plan, along with a list of leading coaching candidates prepared, and reviewed each year, ready for a trigger if necessary. But to use the words No Doubt and a list of one candidate, for five years away, lacks credibility imo.

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                WSUwatcher commented
                Editing a comment
                Actually, someone who can read five years into the future with total certainty would probably be too busy making millions (billions?) of dollars in the stock market to spend his time either on Shockernet or as an AD.

But your point is well taken -- we can make plausible guesses, and the idea that Coach Jans (sans, or maybe san's, apostrophe -- obviously your old teacher wouldn't give autocorrect a very good grade either) will likely be a top candidate for the WSU job at some point in the future is certainly plausible. To call it a no doubter that he'll be THE guy, however, is silly, just as you say.

Originally posted by ripemupshocks View Post
              Sooner rather than later, Jans will be the head coach at the flagship institution in his home state.
              UNI?

Comment

Tyson Waterman excited to join Wichita State coaching staff: 'I love the energy'

BY TAYLOR ELDRIDGE

The reports on Tyson Waterman's issues with the NCAA may have been incomplete:

Google Waterman's name, and the first story that pops up says he lost his job at Southeast Louisiana and was assessed a Level I violation because he didn't cooperate with an NCAA investigation.

But there was never a follow-up story when Waterman successfully appealed the NCAA's decision.

"That was a situation out of my control," Waterman said. "To the NCAA's credit, they made the right decision by not penalizing me for something I had nothing to do with."
                Now you know the Rest of the Story!
                Tyson Waterman was hired as the third assistant coach for the Wichita State men's basketball team in the 2018-19 season.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 3, 2018, 09:59 PM.

Comment

• GreatWhiteBuffalo
                  GreatWhiteBuffalo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Love that the Eagle obviously edited the title or their online-link-maker-person didn't actually read the headline when creating said link. I love that he's Tyrone in the link.

It appears we've got plenty of new energy that's chomping at the bit. There are going to be plenty of challenges in the upcoming season, but I think a lack of energy is unlikely to be one.

Looking forward to seeing some practices!

Comment

Top 3 AAC finish... And right in the mix for an at large

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    It appears we've got plenty of new energy that's chomping at the bit. There are going to be plenty of challenges in the upcoming season, but I think a lack of energy is unlikely to be one.

Looking forward to seeing some practices!
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Shockm
                      Shockm commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I liked the memory (LOL) but that only applies to him. Most players need it.

• proshox
                      proshox commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The crazy part about “practic clip,” AInwasn’t talking about practice.

Sounds like he's been tasked with the following:

1) Enforcer - if he needs to don the black hat to bring about Play Angry then someone has to do it and the other two assistants don't necessarily give that appearance.

2) Guide the perimeter players

3) And of course recruit and develop/further relationships

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
                      Sounds like he's been tasked with the following:
                      1) Enforcer - if he needs to don the black hat to bring about Play Angry then someone has to do it and the other two assistants don't necessarily give that appearance.
                      Who were the "Enforcers" in the past?

I'll go back to some of FVV's quotes that he and Ron and other upperclass leaders had to serve as a soothing voice between players and coaches. We already have one Greg Marshall that demands excellence at a high cost. Adding another "Enforcer" would almost guarantee more player turnover.

Comment

Guest commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I read the article as Marshall is the enforcer and Waterman is there as a guy the players can lean on. Somebody who can say, "I know it's tough, Coach is demanding, it's hard, but his system works, it did for me, it will for you. Tough it out and it will pay off, I've been where you are at, I get it."

Coach Jans was an enforcer. He was basically a carbon-copy of Marshall. After last year's Charmin Soft performance, we could certainly use a few more angry men.

T

...:cool:

Comment

Working...
                      X