Hard Reset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bleednblackngold View Post

Maybe one of these million dollar coaches can put 20-30 lbs on his frame! Again I didn't want AR to leave but we are not losing a 5 star athlete. No knock on him but he is a hard pick/charge away from surgery again. I hope he finds a good fit and lights it up. My observation is he is not strong enough to be the guy we all want him to be(see Connor Frankamp). Just sayin. Now beat me up!
    b6yrh0f.png
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

The late recruiting seems to be going toward the type of game the Shox didn't have last year with drive penetration to set up outside shooters. That seems to have been needed - and getting solved.

The "Play Angry" concept that was personified by Hall, Baker, VanVleet, Wessel, Cotton had left the building.

Needing quicker perimeter defenders was painfully obvious last year. While we don't know what we're going to have there this year, we know that the guys who lacked quickness defending the perimeter are no longer on the roster.

I'm still not optimistic about the results in the first year of the reset, but it was probably time to make a fresh start and instill the Marshall Plan with a new group.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
        The late recruiting seems to be going toward the type of game the Shox didn't have last year with drive penetration to set up outside shooters. That seems to have been needed - and getting solved.

The "Play Angry" concept that was personified by Hall, Baker, VanVleet, Wessel, Cotton had left the building.

Needing quicker perimeter defenders was painfully obvious last year. While we don't know what we're going to have there this year, we know that the guys who lacked quickness defending the perimeter are no longer on the roster.

I'm still not optimistic about the results in the first year of the reset, but it was probably time to make a fresh start and instill the Marshall Plan with a new group.
        Glad your coming around ;)
        The Assman

Comment

Next year top 3 in AAC and right in the mix for an at large

Comment

• WSUwatcher
            WSUwatcher commented
            Editing a comment
            Hard to believe I'm saying this, but I think choida is far more likely to be on target than Aargh is.

3rd place in the AAC. 9 seed in the tournament.

Comment

• choida
            choida commented
            Editing a comment
            Where do we sign?

• BOBB
            BOBB commented
            Editing a comment
            Optimistic. I would take this in a heartbeat, but I would need to get in line behind the coaching staff.

Perimeter is shaping up pretty well on paper. Need for MM to have an outstanding year and for a
          couple big guys ( Udeze, AM, Chandler ) to surprise on the upside. If those things happen we
          might make top three and get a bid.

Comment

HCGM and staff have put together a major league crop of athletes, on paper. Now its all about bringing them together and finding out who is the real deal and who will be parts of the machine.
            This will probably be HCGM's biggest challenge since his arrival. Maybe even more so than his first year, due to having a few hold overs from the Turgeon era.

Every year a few in-towners go and watch the summer open gym shoot outs. I would think this may be the most entertaining and informative open gyms in recent memory. Lots to see, digest and evaluate. Until then, all of the accolades and hyperbole on here about how good some are or supposed to be is just pure speculation.

Its April and from a long way off, but have to think that R.Brown probably has a major league up on all new comers just to being there for a year and having a front row seat on what HCGM wants and how it is to be done.

Big deal reeling in Torres today. Going back into another season in the AAC without a PG and no collegiate experience is a recipe for disaster.
            No disrespect to SHJ, but stability is an absolute mandate at the PG spot. Until he resolves his issues, his contributions are an unknown. That is no way to go into a year with more freshmen on the roster than the rest combined. Torres is as big a spring time signing as I can remember and I'm sure HCGM will sleep much better tonight.

That is all.
            Above all, make the right call.

Comment

I agree that this will probably be HCGM's biggest challenge since his arrival although not as big as those first couple of years. However, I get a sense that this challenge may have re-energized Coach Marshall.

It will be interesting to see if in addition ot perhaps targeting different kinds of players he may tweal his system a bit and perhaps, with the inexperience of this team, sinplify things to start with.

Comment

I haven't been this excited about the exhibition game in a long time.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                  1972Shocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Or Shocker Madness as well.

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                I agree that this will probably be HCGM's biggest challenge since his arrival although not as big as those first couple of years. However, I get a sense that this challenge may have re-energized Coach Marshall.

It will be interesting to see if in addition ot perhaps targeting different kinds of players he may tweal his system a bit and perhaps, with the inexperience of this team, sinplify things to start with.
                Gotta fully agree with this. After mulling over the changes recently, I believe HCGM is feeling THRILLED to get athletes across the roster that are a notch up from what he was getting before. Sure, we've had some great players, but I sense this is a real step up and he's excited to both have a new recruiting approach AND a new coaching approach with the athletes he's getting. (Can we handle a more energized Coach Marshall?? I KNOW we can't handle a more energized Coach Marshall's wife!)

Comment

• Shockm
                  Shockm commented
                  Editing a comment
                  One exciting is that a player like Burton is not only an athlete, but he is “smart” and a 6’5” Point guard to boot.

Hard Reset is right for both the Shocker men's basketball program and the Shocker women's program. Not sure we have ever had so many new faces and lack of experience between the two programs combined in the same year.

The Shocker men will have 2 seniors - One 4th year senior and 1 Juco transfer. The Shocker women same thing.

The Shocker men will have 2 juniors - both Juco transfers. The Shocker women same thing.

The Shocker men will have 1 inexperienced sophomore. The Shocker women will have 2 very inexperienced sophomores and 1 sophomore with some experience as a freshman.

The Shocker men will have 8 freshmen including 1 a redshirt freshman. The Shocker women will have 7 freshman including 1 redshirt freshman.

Both HCGM and HCKA have been working hard although I think HCKA had most of her recruits in place by last November. HCGM had to get after it hard this spring.

Both coaches seem to have done a good job. That is more readily apparnet for HCGM because there is simply more info available on his recruits. Kind of hard to say with HCKA's recruirts although she did reel in Michigan's Ms. Basketball for the class of 2018.

I think this is going to be an extremely interesting year for both programs although could be frustrating at times as well. Maybe HCGM and HCKA can make a bet on which team will improve the most throughout the season next year although that's tough to measure. Hopefully, we will see some pretty steep learning curves.,

Comment

• Wooglin
                  Wooglin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  As always, an astute assessment!

• N Crestway
                  N Crestway commented
                  Editing a comment
                  However the one "inexperienced" sophomore who is 7'0", 280 will have been been practicing with the team plus weight training for more than a year at the beginning of next season.
                  Last edited by N Crestway; April 27, 2018, 02:03 AM.

Pease leave the political baloney out of this forum. Shocks started the year with a high ranking & raced to also ran. In the NCAA tournament, Shamet didn't play like a All-America, & Reaves didn't play much at all. Frankamp kept it from being a total embarrassment.

Comment

• shoxrox89
                  shoxrox89 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not making a very good impression from your 1st two post

• Aargh
                  Aargh commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't recall Post #1, but this one (#2) is deadly accurate. Hard to rag on posters for stating facts. Or at least it should be.

Comment

Choida, did you forget to post this link on the "No names on unis" thread on page 11?
                  "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                  ---------------------------------------
                  Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                  "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                  "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Kentucky and Duke turn over all the time. I have faith in Marshall so I see no reason to think we won’t win the AAC.

Comment

Working...
                    X