Hard Reset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dwbarcl View Post
    Didn’t Secretary of State Clinton give Russia a reset button? Oh wait... wrong thread sorry.
    A common misconception. It was actually

Comment

I have been reading all the news today and haven't completely got my head around it...BUT I do remember thinking to myself after Landry decided to go pro that there would be a good chance of other prominent underclassmen wanting to move on. Looking ahead to next season I think Austin, CJ, and others were seeing a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT team next year and perhaps apprehensive about all the newbies coming into the program and what role (and friendships) they would have. A totally different chemistry and climate no doubt.

Unreal that Coach has like 50 million scholarships to offer for next year. He obviously needs ready made D-I players that can go from jump street and not redshirt or go to Sunrise. Needs bodies! And good to great ones at that!!!

Also...since the March Madness debacle...I thought for sure Marcus McDuffie was the higher possibility to opt to transfer (not Austin). Good to hear he wants to be the leader next year!

Go SHOCKS!!!
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by dwbarcl View Post
        Didn’t Secretary of State Clinton give Russia a reset button? Oh wait... wrong thread sorry.
        Didn't Bill Clinton lay a hard reset on Monica...or was it the other way around...I can't remember.

Comment

We really NEED to redshirt at least 2 in order to balance the classes a little better

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
            We really NEED to redshirt at least 2 in order to balance the classes a little better
            Good point, but lets get 'em all in the stable first.
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

From the Burton commitment article.

"...Basketball is becoming positionless, so they're excited about my versatility and ability to play different positions..."
              This is why the “Hard Reset” is great for the program. Basketball is changing, and I am glad Marshall and the Shocker program are adapting and adapting quickly.

There will be some painful moments and growing pains, but we, the fans and supporters, are going the be very happy in the long run.

The Assman

Comment

• proshox
                proshox commented
                Editing a comment
                I am not buying this. HCGM had the perfect roster to play positionless basketballl and absolutely failed to try it.

• pie n eye
                pie n eye commented
                Editing a comment
                I dunno, I thought we had several one dimensional players last year. There was also a lack of ball handling and decision making.

It seems like the offense changed quite a bit after the FVV era so I don’t think Marshall is quite the dinosaur you sometimes want to make him out to be.

Reaves was a good kid. I liked his pressers and the team first aww shucks attitude
              he’d show after a big game when he’d light it up. He can shoot it very very well when he wasn’t fatigued. That said he was a liability on Defense and could be broken down and driven on with regularity. Simple truth. How much better was his D going to be? If Marshall ran a volume shooter program with the multiple screeens etc perhaps he and Frankamp’ would have blossomed last year. The problem was when those two guys weren’t hitting their Defense hurt the team.
              Last edited by top20shock; April 20, 2018, 05:48 PM.

Comment

• AndShock
                AndShock commented
                Editing a comment
                Every single player on last year’s team hurt the defense

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
              This is going to sound harsh, and a little crazy, but all this turnover is exactly what this program needed.

Play Angry had left and Apathy had set in. This program, in the span of a year, seemed to lose the mindset that took it to heights not seen in a long time. Getting back to that mentality is a crucial part to getting this program back on track.

Another reason this is good for the program is that the game of basketball, especially at the college level, is changing. Gone at the days of one-way players and being able to play two true big men. You need to be able to score and shoot at every level, and unfortunately some of the players on this year’s roster weren’t able to do that and other teams were able to exploit that at times. It appears the program is trying to address these issues with this current crop of recruits and gear more towards the Golden State and Villinova model of basketball; which is a wise move in my opinion.

Yes it hurts now, but it’s better to rip the Band-Aid off all at once instead of peeling it off slowly on your hairy leg. The program will be better off for it and I don’t think next year will be a horrible as some believe.

The future is still bright. WSU has a great program, great staff, and great fansbase. As long as those continue to stay strong, Shocker Nation is here to stay.

Play Angry. Let’s go.
              No.

We had 6 seniors. There was going to be plenty of new blood. Going from just a few returning players to just one is not a good thing.

Not the end of the world, but on the spectrum of good vs bad, it ain't good.

Comment

Somebody refresh my memory. I'm too lazy. Going into the 12-13 season we had a ton of new blood. Remind me who was coming back with any kind of actual on court time. I just don't remember. Other than freshman TC, who else? Hmmmm. Oh, Carl and DW. Correct? Anybody else?

Comment

• ShockTalk
                  ShockTalk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We've already gone through this. While there was a lot of turnover coming into the 12-13 season, it was nothing like this.

Players coming back next season: Sr. McDuffie, Sr. SHJ, So. Midtgaard, and RS Fr Brown. That's 3 players, 2 Sr. 1 So., with D-I game experience of 5 years, 4 players with 6 years in Marshall's system, 1 sure starter, 728 games minutes the previous year and 2,276 total D-I game minutes.

2012-13: Sr. Hall, Sr. Williams, So. Cotton, So. White, Sr. Orukpe, RS Sr. Armstead, and RS Fr. Baker. That's 6 players, 4 Sr. 2 So., with D-I experience of 11 years, 7 players with 11 years in Marshall's system, 2-4 starters, 2,248 games minutes the previous year and 5,289 total D-I game minutes. And this doesn't count Wessel due to his injury that year.

Plus, out of this next year team, there will also need to be an Early.

• ShockingButTrue
                  ShockingButTrue commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The '13 team had no returning starters. Next years team has one.

• ShockTalk
                  ShockTalk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What I was referring to were players that we knew had those positions covered to start. We knew Armstead was to be the starting PG and we knew what we had. Hall was sure to be a starter, as was Williams unless someone beat him out. We were pretty solid on Cotton starting.

However, taking your angle ShockingButTrue, Williams was 4th in starts in 11-12 with 23 and Hall was tied with Ben Smith for 5th with 19. So, yes, that team did have 2 WSU starters which is more than now. Add to that a sure fire starter in Armstead who started at Oregon for 2 years and red-shirted in the Marshall program for a year, makes 3.

Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post
                Somebody refresh my memory. I'm too lazy. Going into the 12-13 season we had a ton of new blood. Remind me who was coming back with any kind of actual on court time. I just don't remember. Other than freshman TC, who else? Hmmmm. Oh, Carl and DW. Correct? Anybody else?
                Orukpe, Jake White, and Evan Wessel ( who red-shirted). Six total plus Armstead who say out after playing at Oregon. This year is three total.
                Livin the dream

Comment

Wait a second. I forgot about Evan. But he was actually a sophomore on that 12-13 team wasn't he. He hurt his finger mid season and got a medical redshirt and came back 13-14 as a sophomore again in Fred and Ron's class.

Carl was returning after playing 11-12 wasn't he? So actual Shocker court time returners that year were Jake, Ehimen, Carl, Demetric, and Evan. Correct?

Comment

• proshox
                    proshox commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No. Cotton was really good as a freshman and finished with a great game vs. VCU in the tournament.

This is exactly what this program needs. Again I loved AR but he was and always will be a marginal D1 player. His body type makes him very one dimensional imo. I will miss his grit and toughness but will welcome a more athletic and stronger presence on the court. AR was the only departure that even remotely surprised me but he was not our answer for a starting 1 or 2 going forward. Haven't been this excited to start a season ,well, since last year!

Comment

• pinstripers
                    pinstripers commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Marginal? Marginal my ass. I hope one of the kids we have coming in can shoot it like Reaves.

Originally posted by bleednblackngold View Post
                  This is exactly what this program needs. Again I loved AR but he was and always will be a marginal D1 player. His body type makes him very one dimensional imo. I will miss his grit and toughness but will welcome a more athletic and stronger presence on the court. AR was the only departure that even remotely surprised me but he was not our answer for a starting 1 or 2 going forward. Haven't been this excited to start a season ,well, since last year!
                  Reaves has already been contacted by Maryland, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Butler, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Northern Iowa, Iowa State, Michigan, and Auburn, among others.

Marginal?

Comment

• im4wsu
                    im4wsu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Bleeding isn't paid millions to evaluate like the coaches here and those schools listed are.

• Shockm
                    Shockm commented
                    Editing a comment
                    He was better than marginal and probably a double figure scorer this year.

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                  The one player we had who showed signs of the ability and desire to Play Angry just left the building. The players who exhibited a lack of Play Angry and seemed capable of apathy graduated, so trying to say that Reaves' leaving is a necessary part of "cleaning house" is completely off base. Reaves was the guy most likely to instill the Play Angry mantra to the new players this summer.

Now there is absolutely no one able to get the new guys into the system and into the attitude over the summer. We have McDuffie, who forgot the plays during his injury, and Haynes-Jones, who was a great one-on--one player against inferior competition, working with the new players over the summer. Maybe Rodgerick Brown knows the system and schemes well enough to help out? I doubt it.
                  I'll have to disagree about the ability to play angry. His shoulders and 175 lbs just didn't allow him to play the physical brand of ball that we have to get back to. It wasn't a matter of desire but rather physical mass.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Reaves has already been contacted by Maryland, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Butler, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Northern Iowa, Iowa State, Michigan, and Auburn, among others.

Marginal?
                    Maybe one of these million dollar coaches can put 20-30 lbs on his frame! Again I didn't want AR to leave but we are not losing a 5 star athlete. No knock on him but he is a hard pick/charge away from surgery again. I hope he finds a good fit and lights it up. My observation is he is not strong enough to be the guy we all want him to be(see Connor Frankamp). Just sayin. Now beat me up!

Comment

Working...
                    X