Hard Reset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Reset

This is going to sound harsh, and a little crazy, but all this turnover is exactly what this program needed.

Play Angry had left and Apathy had set in. This program, in the span of a year, seemed to lose the mindset that took it to heights not seen in a long time. Getting back to that mentality is a crucial part to getting this program back on track.

Another reason this is good for the program is that the game of basketball, especially at the college level, is changing. Gone at the days of one-way players and being able to play two true big men. You need to be able to score and shoot at every level, and unfortunately some of the players on this year’s roster weren’t able to do that and other teams were able to exploit that at times. It appears the program is trying to address these issues with this current crop of recruits and gear more towards the Golden State and Villinova model of basketball; which is a wise move in my opinion.

Yes it hurts now, but it’s better to rip the Band-Aid off all at once instead of peeling it off slowly on your hairy leg. The program will be better off for it and I don’t think next year will be a horrible as some believe.

The future is still bright. WSU has a great program, great staff, and great fansbase. As long as those continue to stay strong, Shocker Nation is here to stay.

Play Angry. Let’s go.
    The Assman

Agreed 100%. This is tough, but we’ve got some incredibly gifted tough kids on their way to the Chuck, and it’s going to be fun to watch!!
    "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

The one player we had who showed signs of the ability and desire to Play Angry just left the building. The players who exhibited a lack of Play Angry and seemed capable of apathy graduated, so trying to say that Reaves' leaving is a necessary part of "cleaning house" is completely off base. Reaves was the guy most likely to instill the Play Angry mantra to the new players this summer.

Now there is absolutely no one able to get the new guys into the system and into the attitude over the summer. We have McDuffie, who forgot the plays during his injury, and Haynes-Jones, who was a great one-on--one player against inferior competition, working with the new players over the summer. Maybe Rodgerick Brown knows the system and schemes well enough to help out? I doubt it.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Shock Top
        Shock Top commented
        Editing a comment
        This wasn’t to single Reaves out. It was to calm the waters of the fan base.

• N Crestway
        N Crestway commented
        Editing a comment
        Not good at this point to be talking about "ripping the band-aid off". We just lost a key player who should have stayed at WSU for the remainder of his college career.

Maybe the coaches can help the player understand the system and plays and what not... Just a thought

Comment

• Aargh
        Aargh commented
        Editing a comment
        Coaches are really limited in what they can do over the summer. Players aren't.

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      The one player we had who showed signs of the ability and desire to Play Angry just left the building. The players who exhibited a lack of Play Angry and seemed capable of apathy graduated, so trying to say that Reaves' leaving is a necessary part of "cleaning house" is completely off base. Reaves was the guy most likely to instill the Play Angry mantra to the new players this summer.
      This wasn’t to single Reaves out. It was to calm the waters of the fan base.

Reaves was a great kid, fun to watch at tones, and by all accounts a tough worker. That said, he was not without his warts (like all players).

His loss, while tough, is not irreplaceable and good for both sides if both aren’t on the same page anymore.
      The Assman

Comment

• Aargh
        Aargh commented
        Editing a comment
        The hardest returning worker on the team just left the coach who insists that everybody works hard. Reaves and Kelly had every appearance pf being about the only players on the same page with Marshall last year.

• Shock Top
        Shock Top commented
        Editing a comment
        You have the liberty to believe what you want to believe. We’ll all see in due time what happens.

You ok Aargh? You don't sound ok. Just watch. Things will work out.

Comment

• Aargh
        Aargh commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm a lot closer to OK than the basketball team.

• Shockm
        Shockm commented
        Editing a comment
        I understand having concerns regarding the basketball team. That is legit. But you sound like you see zero hope. That's not a good perspective for any problem. That would mean it's unsolvable.

Austin wanted to leave... That's all I take from this... Time to move on to players we have and will be getting

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Now there is absolutely no one able to get the new guys into the system and into the attitude over the summer. We have McDuffie, who forgot the plays during his injury, and Haynes-Jones, who was a great one-on--one player against inferior competition, working with the new players over the summer. Maybe Rodgerick Brown knows the system and schemes well enough to help out? I doubt it.
        Good points. Duff is not the guy. Needs to be a newbie.

Comment

It's simple really...New conference comes with great responsibilities... Hard reset is the proper course of action... One could say we over achieved this year... Marshall gets what kind of players he needs and can get with a new conference... Same goes wtfh his assistant coaches... Gotta adjust or your job is on the line... Marshall is a competitive dude and will adjust in due time

Comment

• pinstripers
            pinstripers commented
            Editing a comment
            One could say that we over achieved, but one would be wrong if one said that.

To draw an analogy here, Duff could be the WSU version of Carmelo Anthony. Same size, much of the same skill set, a leader, but a leader by example. We will need somebody else to direct traffic, and if they're successful, it will make Markis a LOT of money come next spring.

Comment

Just had a "Hard Reset", everything's much better now.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Need a point guard... Have for the last 2 years. Hopefully a frosh.

Comment

Didn’t Secretary of State Clinton give Russia a reset button? Oh wait... wrong thread sorry.
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I’ve been critical of the assistants in the past, but now I guess having a bench of recruiters will be nice
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                    Just had a "Hard Reset", everything's much better now.
                    Less than four hours, I hope!
                    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                    ---------------------------------------
                    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                    X