2018-2019 Team Leader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018-2019 Team Leader

It really didn't seem to me that we had a true team leader this year. Our best teams always had one or more. Who will step up and lead this team next year? It's intangible but so important. I think maybe Austin is that guy. Markis is a senior so maybe he takes on that role, but I haven't seen him be that vocal in the past.
    I won't tolerate rude behavior

I looked at Kelly and Reaves as both being team leaders this past season. For 2018-2019, I look for Reaves to continue that role. I think that Stevenson could also take on that responsibility.

Comment

I think Austin will definitely come into this role next season. There are times he seemed to be the one that would help get guys fired up and he seems to communicate well and get guys in the right spot on the court. I can't remember what game it was but it was one where our walk-ons were being worked in. Kaelon Malone had just scored, and I think Kaelon was having one of those mini celebrations in his head and Austin gave him a little love tap to remind him to get his butt back on defense. Another thing that really stands out is how he always seems to be the first one picking his brothers up after a tough loss.

I think he's going to be the extension of coach on the court, while Markis can definitely assume a leadership role as well. They're going to have to because they will be the most battle tested of the bunch next season.

Comment

I agree...I think Reaves can take leadership... But he has to stay healthy and be consistent on the court to do it...

Comment

Whoever our point guard is.

Comment

Austin +++++. Really want to see our next PG assume a leadership role as well. Any others are more than welcome especially if they can become the guy that makes late game plays.
            Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

It doesn't always have to be the point guard... It just happens to be that way for most teams...Paul Miller the leader on the sweet 16 team...

Comment

• wusphlash
                wusphlash commented
                Editing a comment
                Doesn't have to be but it's great to have leadership out of that position.

Well the list of potential players keeps getting smaller. I hope we sign a pg who can lead along with Austin.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                1972Shocker commented
                Editing a comment
                I guess it depends on how your look at it. I assume we will have 13 players on scholarship next year so the list of potential players (excluding walk ons) will be the same as we have had. We just don't know the complete list yet.

I've seen a lot of talk about Reaves as our "team leader". Reaves is an aggressive team cheerleader. You've seen him get up in Landry's grill to cheer him up. In terms of intangibles that improve our play? Reaves isn't our man. He's played very poorly in crunch time. He's been very bad on defense. His ball handling has lost us games (as did Landy's). Last year the season long "count on me", 'Play Angry" guy was Rashard Kelly.

Comment

• Stickboy46
                Stickboy46 commented
                Editing a comment
                Everything you just listed could be the exact reason why he WILL be our leader. Because he's been in position and failed .. he doesn't want it to happen again.

Troll much?
              "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerMarch View Post
                I've seen a lot of talk about Reaves as our "team leader". Reaves is an aggressive team cheerleader. You've seen him get up in Landry's grill to cheer him up. In terms of intangibles that improve our play? Reaves isn't our man. He's played very poorly in crunch time. He's been very bad on defense. His ball handling has lost us games (as did Landy's). Last year the season long "count on me", 'Play Angry" guy was Rashard Kelly.
                I still can't find the "unlike" button.
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Of course there is room for improvement. If there wasn't he'd be heading for the NBA, no? Every criticism you have of him you can throw on anybody else as well. The team as a whole found ways to lose in crunch time. Although they're not perfect, Reaves and McDuffie are the best, most experienced players on our roster. They will have to emerge as the leaders, otherwise we will be in trouble because it would have to be a phenomenal freshman or grad transfer to come in and assume that role.

Comment

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by Woodrow View Post
                      It really didn't seem to me that we had a true team leader this year. Our best teams always had one or more. Who will step up and lead this team next year? It's intangible but so important. I think maybe Austin is that guy. Markis is a senior so maybe he takes on that role, but I haven't seen him be that vocal in the past.
                      Nevermind

Comment

Always have Samaje! Haha, kill me.

Comment

Working...
                        X