Good News / Bad News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Good:

Wichita State is 6-4 as an underdog in the tournament, going back to 2012. Our average margin of victory was 3.3 PPG.

The Bad:

Wichita State is 3-3 as a favorite, including first round losses to a 12 seed and a 13 seed (and also losing to the eventually runner-ups in the Round of 32). Our average margin in those games was +6.5, with the losses coming by 3, 2, and 6.

Comment

Boy, people sure are dismissive of the impact of injuries.

Comment

The Good: We’re in the AAC.

The Bad: proshox will continue to talk about how WSU was better off in the MVC, like we’re in a special Shocker Basketball episode of Legion (the TV series about BSC alternate realities), until possibly the second coming of Christ.

Comment

• proshox
          proshox commented
          Editing a comment
          Well played. I wouldn’t talk about it at all if people acknowledged that there are trade-offs. It seems impossible though....

The whole first post explains the benefit (a better seed) and attributes it all to AAC. He then wrote about the actual performance and the AAC isn’t blamed at all.

This year had everything going for it (six seniors, a sophomore NBA prospect, a tool for everything) and WSU somehow went backwards. I would suggest the AAC may be an impact. That is all.

i'm not so sure that wsu would have have won the valley this year.

wsu's worst team since 2011 sounds about right.

Comment

• shelback
          shelback commented
          Editing a comment
          SHOX would have rolled like always try the NBC. Team was built for that league.

Originally posted by another shocker View Post

You are incredibly obtuse.

Like 175 degree obtuse.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker View Post

Other than the fact that pretty much every single metric says WSU would have, what's your argument?

Comment

Wichita State would have gone 18-0 in the Valley.

Comment

• SHOCKvalue
              SHOCKvalue commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh come on. That’s highly unlikely, and sounds like something a Creighton Chode would have said circa 2014.
              Last edited by SHOCKvalue; March 23, 2018, 06:13 PM.

• Cdizzle
              Cdizzle commented
              Editing a comment
              Thing is, Creighton had nothing on which to base that claim. 5 titles and an 84-6 record in the 5 previous years WSU was remotely healthy give some basis for the claim.

Frankly, it doesn't matter. WSU is now in the AAC, which is a great thing.

Shox may not have gone undefeated in the MVC, but they would have won it. By 2 or 3 games.
            "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

The Good: C'mon man ya gotta ask?
              The Bad: My brackets
              The Ugly: BJ's
              For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
              - said no one ever...

Comment

A team like the 2017-2018 Shocker team was designed to win the Valley year in and year out...too much inside power for most of the Valley teams. It was nice being a potential Gonzaga of the Plains while we were in the Valley. ProShox makes some good points.

Comment

Maybe... Just maybe... This team was built for a Valley softer schedule and got burned out at the end... Just maybe... It might Marshall a year or two with newer breed of recruits to handle this type of grind ..a decent example is Creighton going to big east

Comment

• SHOCKvalue
                    SHOCKvalue commented
                    Editing a comment
                    *sigh

• OregonShocker
                    OregonShocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    *me throwing up*

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post

Other than the fact that pretty much every single metric says WSU would have, what's your argument?
                  What did the metrics predict about our 8 losses? Was it pretty close?

Comment

Gonzaga likes to be Gonzaga so much that they’re looking to move to the MWC, which would basically be a mirror image move (long term) to the move WSU just made.

Similar could be said of Xavier and Butler as well.

Weird.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

What did the metrics predict about our 8 losses? Was it pretty close?
                      The metric were pretty close to predicting WSU record. WSU slightly underperformed their metrics. That can be attributed to the Temple and Marshall games.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

The metric were pretty close to predicting WSU record. WSU slightly underperformed their metrics. That can be attributed to the Temple and Marshall games.
                        The metrics don't predict tournament performances in advance, so the Marshall game would not be considered. After our first loss, KenPom predicted 24-6 and 14-4 and that is where we ended the regular season.

kenpomend.png
                        Attached Files
                        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                        ---------------------------------------
                        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                        X