2018-19 Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid home and home with VCU.

I know they were down last year. I wonder what expectations/projections they have going forward the next year or two. Are they reloading or is this third coach in like 5 years washing them out?
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
      When does the Penny show come to town?

No way will we waste an IBA game against a conference foe like Memphis. I don't care what we have to settle for, conference foes deserve Koch and Koch only.

And btw, if Penny fails, while it sucks for the league, I'll be smirking inside with half of Memphis going on suicide watch.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Seems like an uninspiring IBA game to me.

Comment

• Having to settle for USM over Baylor (or ANY OTHER PROGRAM with some friggin' cache) at IBA is just atrocious. I would have rather lost to KSU by 15 (which wouldn't have happened) than try to get psyched up for this one. This type of BS is why we are not taken seriously in the college basketball world. Whatever the reasons are for us not getting marquee opponents need to be addressed. We haven't been able get anyone worth a $h!t on our schedule, EVER, unless they are within a 500 mile radius.
        Last edited by WalterSobchak; August 2, 2018, 11:19 AM.

Comment

• Southern Miss.... again?

Good Lord, that’s pathetic. They better be giving those tickets away or it’s gonna be crickets there for that garb.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
            C0|dB|00ded commented
            Editing a comment
            That would make no sense. If it's crickets at IBA Shocker Nation should be ashamed of themselves. Our roster is loaded with great talent and these boys (including our coach) deserve maximum asses in seats on game day.

T

...:cool:

• It's amazing how far we've come that we get games against Providence (N), Baylor (H), OU (A), and VCU (A), and people are still pissed off. You can't please everyone, and we all would have killed for this sort of a non-con slate four or five years ago.

Realistically, it's more of a matter of how the away-neutral matchups lined up, along with having the Baylor game specifically designated for Koch.
          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• WalterSobchak
            WalterSobchak commented
            Editing a comment
            I encourage you to go look at the non-con schedules from 4 (2014-2015) or 5 (2013-2014) years ago and re-visit your stance. This year is much worse.

• SB Shock
            SB Shock commented
            Editing a comment
            I looked the 2013/14 schedule. There is some pitfalls trying to project off of last year RPI with out some research, but this non-conference schedule is comparable (slightly weaker) depending on who they get in the tournament. I wished there wasn't some RPI suckers, but there seems to be some quality opponents. It seems to be good enough combined with the AAC schedule to give them a shot to have an at-large bid opportunity. .

• Kel Varnsen
            Kel Varnsen commented
            Editing a comment
            I stand corrected. Our non-con schedules overall were better than I remembered, but the average KP rating last season of the teams we know we are playing this season is 135.4. In 2015, it was 123.1 and in 2014, it was 123.4. Not that big of a discrepancy considering we have a really young team and we could end up facing a team like Purdue in Charleston as well.

• Originally posted by WalterSobchak View Post
          Having to settle for USM over Baylor (or ANY OTHER PROGRAM with some friggin' cache) at IBA is just atrocious. I would have rather lost to KSU by 15 (which wouldn't have happened) than try to get psyched up for this one. This type of BS is why we are not taken seriously in the college basketball world. Whatever the reasons are for us not getting marquee opponents need to be addressed. We haven't been able get anyone worth a $h!t on our schedule, EVER, unless they are within a 500 mile radius.
          "This is why we are not taken seriously in the college basketball world"

Who the fk is this newbie?

"Whatever the reasons are for us not getting marquee opponents need to be addressed."

What are you gonna do Skippy? You gonna go give Marshall an earful?

T

Comment

• WalterSobchak
            WalterSobchak commented
            Editing a comment
            I know you already know everything there is to know about anything, but take a look at Cincinnati's first 4 games in December last year and let me know when we have or will have a stretch that resembles anything close to that. Richard.

• C0|dB|00ded
            C0|dB|00ded commented
            Editing a comment
            You mean the schedule where they only played one of those games at home and lost 2 of 4 with their greatest team in the last 20 years? (Their words not mine).

T

• Yes, I’m a little disappointed, but maybe Saturday games in December we’re limited? It takes two to tango.
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
            It's amazing how far we've come that we get games against Providence (N), Baylor (H), OU (A), and VCU (A), and people are still pissed off. You can't please everyone, and we all would have killed for this sort of a non-con slate four or five years ago.

Realistically, it's more of a matter of how the away-neutral matchups lined up, along with having the Baylor game specifically designated for Koch.
            This is a very fine schedule - especially when you consider we are totally reloading our roster.

We play two Big 12 teams one of which gets to enjoy one of college basketball's most intimidating environments.

We are in a power conference now, our season doesn't hinge on who we can get into IBA. Most years we'll have a brand name at IBA but scheduling 3 power non-con teams in a year when you have literally nobody returning is suicide. Two may be suicide.

T

Comment

• Cold.... you are a joke, man. You sit here and on other boards telling anyone who will listen that we are on par with the likes of Duke or UNC in CBB. Then, in the next breath, you're totally cool with our weak ass schedule because we are "rebuilding." Which is it?
              Last edited by WalterSobchak; August 2, 2018, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                C0|dB|00ded commented
                Editing a comment
                "Cold.... you are truly incredible man."

Thank you.

T

• C0|dB|00ded
                C0|dB|00ded commented
                Editing a comment
                Editing your original post from "incredible man" to "joke"???

That's not going to pass muster, buster...

T

• I'm disappointed with the iba game. Other than that. It's not bad. 6-7 games against teams that consistently make the tourney.

Comment

• Do you see the likes of KU, Duke, Carolina, Gonzaga, UCLA, Villanova, Arizona, etc etc manipulating their schedules because of their roster? Am I the only one on here that understands the concept that until we can get on that level scheduling-wise, we will never be on those programs level except for a day we play and potentially beat them?

Comment

• Stickboy46
                  Stickboy46 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Man you are on a rampage. Power teams aren't known for tough OOC schedules

• WalterSobchak
                  WalterSobchak commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Power teams...do you remember the slogan for our new conference?

• Originally posted by WalterSobchak View Post
                Do you see the likes of KU, Duke, Carolina, Gonzaga, UCLA, Villanova, Arizona, etc etc manipulating their schedules because of their roster? Am I the only one on here that understands the concept that until we can get on that level scheduling-wise, we will never be on those programs level except for a day we play and potentially beat them?
                Expecting us to have the same draw for opponents as blue bloods in Power 5 conferences is totally realistic.

"In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• WalterSobchak
                  WalterSobchak commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Riiiiiiiiight, because I'm definitely the one to bring us up in the same sentence with those type of programs at any opportunity.........

• Speaking of IBA disappointments... it may be time we take the downtown arena off our yearly schedule unless a marquee program demands a neutral-neutral arrangement. This would be a good year to have skipped it. Wichita State enjoys zero home court advantage playing at that location so there must be other factors present for us to choose to play there.

We likely make less revenue at IBA compared to Koch also.

T

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                  C0|dB|00ded commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Meh.

I agree that the players enjoy playing there. It's fancy, like an NBA arena.

It's quiet like an NBA arena too. Zero energy.

I define energy as that which is experienced at Koch Arena.

Incomparable.

T

• SB Shock
                  SB Shock commented
                  Editing a comment
                  IBA is not loud. It is a concert arena so the reverberation time has been optimized for music. Which means the sound is absorbed. Meanwhile, KOCH arena has no optimization and there is a lot of reverberation (thus extremely noisy).

• C0|dB|00ded
                  C0|dB|00ded commented
                  Editing a comment
                  In other words... a sonic hell hole for our foes.

I like it!

T

• We have one player with substantial experience returning. I'll take a tamed-down version for this year. Next year, let's load it up.

Comment

Working...
                X