No announcement yet.

2018-2019 Shox Offseason Predictions and Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I will say that, what I’ve seen this summer, @C0ldBl00ded is not exaggerating about JE. Still trying to process what I saw both from watching him play and meeting in person. Understanding real game translations are not into evidence yet, but I’m a little more than excited. Also find Burton’s game quite intriguing—as in able to play three positions equally well.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
      C0|dB|00ded commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm glad I wasn't suffering from a CB-infused summertime hyperbolic delusion. The boy has some things you just can't teach, and a few you can. His mid-range shot is deadly.

T

...:cool:

• "A midsummer’s look at American Athletic Conference men’s basketball" - The New haven Register

By David Borges
    Published 5:29 pm EDT, Sunday, July 29, 2018

"The American Athletic Conference had four NBA draft picks in June, including a pair of first-rounders. Heck, one of them was from Tulane, of all places.That’s a nice, positive anecdote for a league constantly in search of more respect. But there’s a flip side: All four of those players are now gone from the league. As is the reigning Player of the Year, league scoring champion and just about the entire Wichita State roster.

What’s left is a league that could be a bit down this season, which has kind of been the AAC’s modus operandi: Up one year, down the next. In its inaugural season in 2014, four teams earned tourney berths and UConn won a national title. The following year, the league got just two bids. In 2016, four teams made the tourney and SMU would have if it hadn’t been banned. In 2017, just two bids again.

There were only three bids last year, but it quite possibly would have been five if not for mass, devastating injuries to SMU and UCF.It’s looking like a two- or three-bid league again this season. But while the overall strength may be down, remarkable parity will make the conference fascinating in 2018-19. Or just try to pick the top team in the American this season. We dare ya.

Go with a perennial contenders like Cincinnati or Wichita State? The Bearcats have been to eight straight NCAA tourneys and the Shockers seven straight. But Cincy has lost three stalwarts, including first-round draft pick Jacob Evans and league Player of the Year Gary Clark, and replacing them won’t be easy. Wichita has lost all five starters and 89 percent of the offense from last year’s league runners-up, including first-round pick Landry Shamet....

1. CINCINNATI

Best player: Jarron Cumberland, a decent shooter in a strong safety’s body.

Best newcomer: Rashawn Fredericks, an athletic swingman who averaged a double-double the past two seasons and was a 2017-18 NJCAA first-team All-American.

Biggest losses: Gary Clark, the league’s Player of the Year, Jacob Evans, a first-round NBA draft pick, and Kyle Washington, a double-figures scorer.

Biggest question marks: Will the alarming choke job in last year’s NCAA tourney second-round loss to Nevada have any lingering effects? Can East Hartford’s Cane Broome regain the scorer’s mentality he had while finishing eighth in the nation in scoring a few years ago at Sacred Heart?

2. UCF

Best player: Aubrey Dawkins, coach’s son who possesses athleticism not often seen in this league.

Best newcomer: Collin Smith, a super-athletic, 6-foot-11 forward who sat out last year after transferring from George Washington.

Biggest loss: A.J. Davis

Biggest question marks: Can they stay healthy? That’s it, really.

3. HOUSTON

Best player: Corey Davis, Jr., who averaged 13.1 per game last year and hit a 3 in 29 straight games.

Best newcomer: Nate Hinton, a four-star, is one of program’s most decorated incoming recruits in a long time.

Biggest losses: Rob Gray, Jr., the reigning AAC scoring champ, and Devin Davis.

Biggest question mark: Will better overall depth trump the loss of top scorer (Gray) and rebounder (Davis)?

4. WICHITA STATE

Best player: Markis McDuffie, who led the Shockers in scoring and rebounding two years ago.

Best newcomer: Rickey Torres, a first-team NJCAA All-America point guard who ranked third nationally in assists.

Biggest losses: Landry Shamet, a first-round NBA draft pick, Shaquille Morris, Conner Frankamp, Darral Willis, Jr., Austin Reaves, Rashard Kelly, Zach Brown … basically everyone but McDuffie.

Biggest question mark: Can McDuffie get back to form after being dogged by injuries last season.

5. UCONN
    6. TEMPLE
    7. SMU
    8. MEMPHIS
    9. TULSA
    10. TULANE
    11. ECU
    12. SOUTH FLORIDA..."

Comment

• Stickboy46
      Stickboy46 commented
      Editing a comment
      You can organize 3-9 any way and I think it would be reasonable. This will be a fun year.

• UCONN_Husky
      UCONN_Husky commented
      Editing a comment
      Borges does his research and is generally very fair. He's very high on quality coaching and the kind of impact it has on a team's W/L record. I agree that 3rd thru 9th could really be any order.

• "Taylor Eldridge from Kansas.com talks Shocker hoops" - SPORTS DAILY

MONDAY, JULY 30TH

Catching up with Taylor as he shares his insight and observations on WSU Basketball, what he sees moving forward with the Shockers, his thoughts on Gregg Marshall and how much he has accomplished with Wichita State over the years. ​Can an alumni team represent WSU in The Basketball Tournament in 2019?

Comment

• If this dude goes to Memphis after decommiting from Kentucky, good lawd that program will be stacked. Good for the AAC I guess.

D.J. Jeffries, a five-star forward from Mississippi's Olive Branch High School, announced Monday that he was decommitting from Kentucky and reopening his recruitment.

Comment

• Stickboy46
        Stickboy46 commented
        Editing a comment
        Penny doing what people expected him to do. Get talent from the teams he's been coaching the last few years. Now can he coach in college?

• Originally posted by Shox The Revenant View Post
      If this dude goes to Memphis after decommiting from Kentucky, good lawd that program will be stacked. Good for the AAC I guess.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ns-recruitment
      Kluck U getting 5-stars seems to be ok for the b12-2...

its-ok-i-guess-meme.jpg
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• we-will-find-out-i-guess-meme.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Shox The Revenant View Post
          If this dude goes to Memphis after decommiting from Kentucky, good lawd that program will be stacked. Good for the AAC I guess.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ns-recruitment
          Yeah that'd be real cool for him and the AAC! I wanna see this league get 5 teams in the tourney every year. That's why we signed up! Go League!!! Go Shocks!!!
          FINAL FOURS:
          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
          Number of Times Ranked: 157
          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
          #3 - Dec. 2017
          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
          #2 ~ March 2014
          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• I hope Hardaway can coach at the D1 level and can keep bringing in studs after he's no longer coaching them in AAU ball. That would give Marshall a lot of motivation.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• ...and perhaps getting that target off our backs a bit.
              FINAL FOURS:
              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
              Number of Times Ranked: 157
              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
              #3 - Dec. 2017
              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
              #2 ~ March 2014
              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• "Wichita State Basketball: 3 thoughts on 2018-19 non-conference schedule" - FanSided Sports

by Holden Walter-Warner
                Posted: 08/0/18, 8:15am cst

The Wichita State Shockers are going through a retooling, but you wouldn't know it by looking at their challenging non-conference schedule.

"The Wichita State Shockers are going through a retooling, but you wouldn’t know it by looking at their challenging non-conference schedule.

The 2017-18 season ended in disappointing fashion for the Wichita State Shockers. After a successful first year in the AAC, the Shockers earned a No. 4 seed in the NCAA Tournament, where they were a sleeper Final Four pick (at least in the eyes of this prognosticator). One awful upset to Marshall later, Wichita State’s year was over.Joining the AAC was the culmination of years of hard work for the Shockers, who earned their elevation from the Missouri Valley.

Their time near the top of the conference may be shortlived, though.

Wichita State lost nearly every player of consequence from last year’s squad. Some were expected – the graduations of Rashard Kelly, Darral Willis Jr., Shaquille Morris, and Conner Frankamp – while the departures of Landry Shamet (NBA) and Austin Reaves (transfer) will sting from some time.

Outside of Markis McDuffie, general college basketball fans would be hard-pressed to name another member of Wichita State’s 2018-19 squad. Still, the Shockers will have games to play this season as they attempt to make the NCAA Tournament once more.

Here are three major takeaways about their recently released non-conference schedule.

Charleston Classic: The early season tournament...
                The Mid-Majors: Not many softies...
                The Big Ones: Major conference foes..."

Comment

• Any new update with team? Last picture i saw the team looked big, thick, and Denise.

Comment

• Do not google “big, thick and Denise”.

201412_2017_afaca.png

Comment

• Kung Wu
                      Kung Wu commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yup

• bleednblackngold
                      bleednblackngold commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Dave's not here, man!

• yk6z2.jpg

Comment

• I got the stuff; I think the cops saw me!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave from Tulsa View Post
                        Any new update with team? Last picture i saw the team looked big, thick, and Denise.
                        Glad you "learned your lesson".

Lmfao, later loser.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                        X