2018-2019 Shox Offseason Predictions and Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Singeril View Post

He’s already done that and is, I believe, respected as one of the elite.
    I dont disagree, but last year didn't go well, and was not a great coaching performance on a whole, given all of our expectations. We were exposed nearly every game.

I think that if he can take a team with tempered expectations and he excels, it will go a long way to solidify his reputation.

Marshall knows he will be the first coach to lose his luster after 2 or 3 stinkers in March.
    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Stickboy46
      Stickboy46 commented
      Editing a comment
      I think the morale of the story is most people had their expectations too high if a 2nd Place finish in the AAC and a 4 seed AT LARGE in the tourney was a disappointment ...

• This article agrees that last year wasn't as good as expected or hoped for, but they still have him ranked in the Top 12. I would say the writer of this article has Gregg as an elite coach. One other element toward Gregg's cementing himself as a Top Coach is that imo, he is the greatest coach in Shocker history and this places him above Ralph Miller (at WSU) who is in the College Hall of Fame.

Most (maybe all) of what you said is correct. But I would add, if we were exposed nearly every game, our games against Top 10 teams like Cincinnatti (where we drilled them at their place and we lost by one point at home) showed some pretty good resiliency. We played a better schedule than we have in a long time with our conference foes (Houston, Cincinnatti, Temple, UCF, and even teams like Tulsa and Memphis were better than most Valley foes), and then OSU, and Baylor. We lost some close games to some very good teams, that we may have won but we also won a couple of close games.

Really my only big disappoinment was against Houston, there, and Marshall in the NCAA Tournament. We didn't play well in either game.

Comment

• ShockerPrez
      ShockerPrez commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm with ya.

I'm conjecturing on, say over the next 3 or 4 years. If we level out around 3rd or 4th in the AAC, no championships, no sweet 16s, bubble seeds, there will be some that say, "well, see, he is great at WSU, but when he faced better competition on a regular basis...."

That's where this will go. He knows it. So, aside from wanting to win, duh, he doesn't want to give those people a reason to even have a chance to state that opinion with credability.

So, he will have a renewed focus to drive this team forward to what a Gregg Marshall team is supposed to be.

Given he has basically a blank canvas, I think that is gonna be his intent.

• kcshocker11
      kcshocker11 commented
      Editing a comment
      I would have him above a few of the coaches ahead of him. He has done more with less.

• Why Gregg Marshall and Wichita State won big this summer

BY TAYLOR ELDRIDGE

Comment

• Cool story. Wish Cle could've stuck in the NBA as well so we would've had an athletic forward to show recruiting prospects as well. Also...didn't Toure Murry and Gal Mekal get some NBA time a while back?
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
        Cool story. Wish Cle could've stuck in the NBA as well so we would've had an athletic forward to show recruiting prospects as well. Also...didn't Toure Murry and Gal Mekal get some NBA time a while back?
        Yes. Look here. Pages 109-111.

Comment

• 4 more long months. This is killing me, man!
          Rip em up, Tear em up, Give em HELL Shockers!

Comment

• WSUwatcher
            WSUwatcher commented
            Editing a comment
            Kinda off topic, but you need to start following football, rah.

I have the good fortune of being a lifelong Alabama fan, as I've said here many times (long live Nick Saban!), and as a result I'm able to keep an eye on recruiting news and tidbits from summer workouts already, and then fall practice will begin in just a few weeks, and then the season is here. So although I share your eagerness to get Shocker practice underway (actually just a little over three months for that) and then see the new-look Shocks in real game action come November, it's not like I have to just sit idle going crazy in the meantime.

So come on board and join me and small tyme -- RTR (Roll Tide Roll)! Plus, I've been able to root for five national champions in the last nine years, and what's not to like about that?

• Can't wait for November

Comment

• For a little perspective on this year, South Carolina is an example of a team who went to the Final 4 two years ago. They lost a lot of players and last year they were 17-16 and 7-11 in their league. If you consider their path, I may have been too optimistic regarding this upcoming year too. I predicted 18-21 wins for this year and 10-8 in our league. It takes time, even for good players to learn how to win (especially close road wins) even at home. Leadership is so important.

Comment

• shock
            shock commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep. A good reason to get better leadership from the guys in suits.

• We will be top 3 AAC and right in the mix for an at large

Comment

• Hopefully the Shocks will fare better against guys on the basketball court than against a girl on the tennis court.

https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...215177065.html

Thank goodness it is a totally different skill set.

Comment

• "College basketball: Dan Hurley, UConn could make huge strides in the American Athletic Conference this season" - NCAA.com

by Andy Katz, Correspondent
              Last Updated - Jul 25, 2018 10:50 EDT

The college basketball season will be here faster than you know it. And it's never too early to be thinking about your March Madness bracket. To help you out, we are going to break down each conference with storylines to know, predictions and power rankings you should know ahead of the upcoming season.

"The college basketball season will be here faster than you know it. And it's never too early to be thinking about your March Madness bracket. To help you out, we are going to break down each conference with storylines to know, predictions and power rankings you should know ahead of the upcoming season.

Here is our preview of the American Athletic Conference.

Here are 12 storylines to watch in the American American Athletic Conference this season:

...No way Wichita State should be this low: I know. I know. This is based on returning talent. And it’s probably wrong because Gregg Marshall doesn’t ever finish in or near the bottom. Markis McDuffie will be beast for the Shockers. This team will remain one of the more athletic in the conference, but will be inexperienced. The homecourt advantage for Wichita State will do wonders for keeping the Shockers in every game and in the mix within the AAC....

Early predictions:
              Cincinnati, UCF will be locks for the NCAA touranment; Memphis, Houston, Temple, Tulsa and Wichita State will be bubble teams. I could see three of the five getting bids. SMU and UConn are the outliers who could surprise.

Here are our summer power rankings for the American Athletic Conference:
              1. Cincinnati
              2. UCF
              3. Memphis
              4. Houston
              5. Temple
              6. Tulsa
              7. SMU
              8. UConn
              9. Wichita State
              10. USF
              11. Tulane
              12. ECU

Here's our list for the first team:
              Jalen Adams, UConn
              Jarron Cumberland, Cincinnati
              BJ Taylor, UCF
              Tacko Fall, UCF
              Markis McDuffie, Wichita State"

Comment

• SHOCKvalue
                SHOCKvalue commented
                Editing a comment
                Cognitive dissonance... not just reserved for us rubes.

• C0|dB|00ded
                C0|dB|00ded commented
                Editing a comment
                Or politic'in...

T

...:cool:

• Stickboy46
                Stickboy46 commented
                Editing a comment
                So he's predicting a potential 5 bids .. in a year most people are saying will be a down year for the AAC.

• Hope he is right about MM but I remain skeptic. He is just to hesitant and soft to attack the basket. He better toughen
              up or he might be backing up RB

Comment

• Markis was a really good complimentary players when he had a team of studs around him. He has yet to prove that he can carry a team. In fact, I would say he is worse when he tries to shoulder the load. I'm hoping last year was a fluke and he plays up to the potential everyone seems to think he has.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post

...No way Wichita State should be this low: I know. I know. This is based on returning talent. And it’s probably wrong because Gregg Marshall doesn’t ever finish in or near the bottom. Markis McDuffie will be beast for the Shockers. This team will remain one of the more athletic in the conference, but will be inexperienced. The homecourt advantage for Wichita State will do wonders for keeping the Shockers in every game and in the mix within the AAC....[/I]
                Interesting prediction. Same head coach. Probably the best recruiting class for Greeg Marshall. 9th??? Would Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina be picked that low with that kind of player turnover and inexperience? Doubt it.
                FINAL FOURS:
                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                #3 - Dec. 2017
                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                #2 ~ March 2014
                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post

Interesting prediction. Same head coach. Probably the best recruiting class for Greeg Marshall. 9th??? Would Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina be picked that low with that kind of player turnover and inexperience? Doubt it.
                  The schools you mentioned own 5 of the last 10 national championship banners and collectively have 53 final 4 appearances. I agree it's a promising recruiting class but it's also rated the 60th best class according to 247. It's safe to assume they get the benefit of doubt going into a new season.

Comment

• Jhook89
                    Jhook89 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You better watch out using reason and logic on this site. They will hang you from the tree for it.
                Working...
                X