2018-2019 Shox Offseason Predictions and Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArtVandalay View Post
    ..... Saw too many guys scared to make a mistake this year. .....
    I really think that hurt us this year at times. I think there were times guys were hesitant knowing that if they screwed up they'd get yanked. I have a feeling it effected Nurger in particular, he seemed to be playing scared late in the year.
    Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Shamet will return, because he isn't getting drafted in the first round.

McDuffie will return, unless he chooses to transfer. I'm a little worried about that with how he's seemed on the bench lately, but that's probably anger with his own play.

Reaves will get better and stronger.

We have a massive, gaping hole at the 5 spot. I have no idea what to expect there, because we're replacing a known game-changing force for a bunch of large, completely unproven kids.

Can Rod Brown fill Zach Brown's spot as "lock down defender" ? Hell, I don't know if Zach Brown filled his spot as "lock down defender," either.

Personal feelings about players past that, I don't really see a lot of loss in Kelly, Frankamp, Nurger, or Willis, except in depth. And that's a lot of quality depth to lose, across all positions.

I hope some of the incoming recruits are going to be immediate contributors, because we're screwed if they can't be immediately.

I hope a few assistant coaches are being replaced.

1 Shamet/Lomax, 2 Reaves/Stevenson, 3 Brown, 4 McDuffie, 5 Midtgaard/Chandler/Udeze ? The post is a question, but it's not a bad looking three-headed monster. Lack of 3/4 depth looks worrisome -- we're going to be playing a lot of 3 guard lineups, and hopefully CJ or SHJ can add value there or be replaced with someone who can.
      Originally posted by BleacherReport
      Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Rlh04d
        Rlh04d commented
        Editing a comment
        Yikes -- don't know how I forgot Moore at least.

• GreatWhiteBuffalo
        GreatWhiteBuffalo commented
        Editing a comment
        Honest question: Is Landry really a point guard? He's played well there at times and awful at times. Is it time to maybe find a new player there to free him up to score?

• Rlh04d
        Rlh04d commented
        Editing a comment
        Honest question: would Landry decide to jump to the NBA even if he isn't a first round pick if Marshall moved him to the 2?

He likely has a better chance at NBA success as a PG, or at least a combo guard with a lot of point experience. Him at the 2 and AL good enough to start at the 1 from day one would probably be best for us, but is it best for him? If the choice was him at the 1 or in the NBA D League, I know what's best for us there. But all things being equal, he's probably a more natural 2

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
      I think we need to wait a few days and/or weeks before we start having this conversation. People are a little unhinged and irrational right now, most of it deservedly so.
      Thank You, @ShockFever. As always, the voice of reason and calm. :playful:

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
        SHJ isn't even middle of the road mvc talent. CJ hasn't displayed much basketball skills including even average defensive skills. And I won't even mention the coaching staff.
        You forget how weak “middle of the road MVC talent” is.

Comment

It will be an interesting off season is all I have to say.

Comment

• Shox The Revenant
            Shox The Revenant commented
            Editing a comment
            It first starts with HCGM. The talk is already starting that he's done everything he can for WSU and projections that next year's team will be down compared to his past squads, the timing is right for him to move on now.

• ShockerFever
            ShockerFever commented
            Editing a comment
            Alright, it's time to ban KC again. He just goes too far.

• Stickboy46
            Stickboy46 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hasn't it been the "time to move on" like every year the past 3 years ?

Originally posted by Topshock View Post
          It will be an interesting off season is all I have to say.
          Who? I just watched a video on Yahoo where they were discussing this exact topic. I went back to find it to link the story here but it's not there anymore. Are you sure you're the one who isn't unhinged here? Oops, this was meant for Fever not you Top

Comment

Sounds like there is some team chemistry issue on the team that will have to be dealt with in the offseason.

Senior Rashard Kelly said it came down to not handling business “like men” against Marshall, a team without an NCAA Tournament victory in its history.

“I think it just goes all the way back to our preparation, our mindset,” Kelly said. “Not everything was on the ups. Not everything was on the positive around here. Our young guys, they aren’t the most perfect players, and they do make mistakes.

“We weren’t able to eliminate it, and things didn’t change.”
            http://www.gctelegram.com/sports/201...-role-reversal

Comment

As a fan, I'd prefer to just teleport myself to 2019-2020, I'll just say that. Ultimately, I think there will be more personnel changes than most of us might expect at this juncture, coupled with a whole boatload of newbie initiation. It could be rough relative to the to the past 7-ish years. Future is still as bright as it has ever been, sans next year.

Just my take.

Comment

• Rlh04d
                Rlh04d commented
                Editing a comment
                I hate that we pulled a UNI with this year's senior class. And then didn't even do anything with it.

It's the kind of class you build with a win this year and screw next year mentality. It's the kind of class I look at with a mid-major and expect the coach to be parlaying a tournament win or two into a new job, screw the program after.

Probably not the case here, but still leaves the cupboard incredibly bare for next year. If Shamet stays we have a shot at the tourney -- if not, I'd be very happy with top half of the AAC.

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
              Sounds like there is some team chemistry issue on the team that will have to be dealt with in the offseason.

http://www.gctelegram.com/sports/201...-role-reversal
              Do you ever read before you post?
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

The bar will be lower next season but it's always at least the dance. Losing a lot but opportunities abound
                for younger hungrier players especially if LS moves on. Hope he stays as he will be needed not only
                as a great player but clearly our leader next season. I see him moving primarily to shooting guard
                with AL taking over at point. Solid, potentially great, back court with AR backing up at both the PG
                and SG positions. Will be a dog fight at SF between Moore and ES. We will be stronger offensively
                at small forward, no doubt. I think by mid season ES will take command there - especially if he grows
                a couple inches as projected. I thought MM played very soft this season. He still needs another ten
                pounds of muscle and a new much tougher mindset. We need him to be able to play the four spot
                much more than he will be needed as a three player and average 12-14 ppg AND 8-9 rpg. If he
                toughens up he should be able to do that for us. At center, we need at least two pleasant surprises
                from that group.

Comment

• Shockm
                  Shockm commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I would think that Rod Brown would get chance to begin the year. RB will probably play the 3 and 4. Judging the amount of time that Marshall was giving CJ at the end of the year (seemingly ahead of SHJ) if he chooses to stay, I would think that he is in the picture too. ES and Chance will have to take it from these guys.

Somewhere we need to find big man transfer that is immediately ready to provide significant contributions. The thought of relying upon AM is a unsettling. Seems like he wasted this year on the bench.

Comment

• Shock Top
                  Shock Top commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mike Daum

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                The bar will be lower next season but it's always at least the dance. Losing a lot but opportunities abound
                for younger hungrier players especially if LS moves on. Hope he stays as he will be needed not only
                as a great player but clearly our leader next season. I see him moving primarily to shooting guard
                with AL taking over at point. Solid, potentially great, back court with AR backing up at both the PG
                and SG positions. Will be a dog fight at SF between Moore and ES. We will be stronger offensively
                at small forward, no doubt. I think by mid season ES will take command there - especially if he grows
                a couple inches as projected. I thought MM played very soft this season. He still needs another ten
                pounds of muscle and a new much tougher mindset. We need him to be able to play the four spot
                much more than he will be needed as a three player and average 12-14 ppg AND 8-9 rpg. If he
                toughens up he should be able to do that for us. At center, we need at least two pleasant surprises
                from that group.
                My guess at the depth chart to start the season (assuming LS and MM back):

1: Shamet, Lomax, SHJ (he'll already know the system, just not sure I'd put him ahead of AL)

2: Reaves, Shamet, SHJ, Stevenson, Keyser (CJ still more of a 3)

3: R Brown, Reaves, Keyser, Moore

4: McDuffie, R Brown, Chandler

5: Midtgaard (knows the system), Echenique, Udeze, Chandler (until we know how quickly they pick up the system, mix the last 3), Barney might see time as well.

A lot of this may go out the window by conference time or depending on how fast the newbies adapt.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
                  Somewhere we need to find big man transfer that is immediately ready to provide significant contributions. The thought of relying upon AM is a unsettling. Seems like he wasted this year on the bench.
                  Seems most of those guys transfer to get a final opportunity to play in the dance. (Anton Grady)

Comment

I’m excited for next year. Shamet, McDuffie, and Reaves is a decent place to start. If at least 2 of the post recruits are athletes who can defend and rebound we should be fine. Lomax and Stevenson seem to be guys who can contribute from day 1 but we’ll see.

Cutting down on turnovers and getting back to stingy defense is key. If a couple of the redshirt/incoming guys can slash to the basket it would be a nice bonus.

In short, I’m not worried. If I can identify the issues that plagued this years team I know Marshall can. He doesn’t like to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

Seems most of those guys transfer to get a final opportunity to play in the dance. (Anton Grady)
                      What's your point?
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                      X