2018-2019 Shox Offseason Predictions and Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tgcshock View Post
    At the Shocker luncheon when asked about the freshmen Marshall commented on Williams.

He said, (paraphrasing) "I always ask my point guards to do four things: 1. Be an extension of the coach on the floor. 2. Play great defense. 3. Don't turn the ball over. 4. Make the shots that are open.

Against UNI, Williams drove the ball down the court and took an off-balance shot with his off hand, over Egleseder, that was blocked. I asked him "What were you doing?" and he said, "Trying to make a play." I went over to the board and wrote #92. Shoot an off-balance shot over a 7 footer with 29 seconds remaining on the shot clock because you are trying to make a play. Demetric knows what #1-4 are in my expectations and he needs to figure out what #5-91 are before he ever does #92 again."

It was pretty funny stuff, hearing Marshall say it. Nonetheless, he knows the freshman have to learn and seemed to accept that the up and downs are part of the process.
    Had to find this gem as we are looking for PG help. We definitely need a guy that gets 1-4.
    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Landry did only #4.

Comment

• We don’t have anyone that does all those things right now. Most of our guys only do one of those things. I’d say Austin does 2 of them. I hope our freshmen can pull up the slack.

Comment

• Marshall set the bar really high for himself... We as fans gotta know some years might be tough sailings

Comment

• The Wichita State Shockers lose Landry Shamet, to the NBA Draft. Where does their 2018-2019 roster stand after losing such an essential piece?

a good read, but the writer is no insider

Comment

• At this stage of the game, I personally think he is spot- right-on.

Comment

• Shockm
                Shockm commented
                Editing a comment
                Both were close but probably Austin was our 3rd option at Point. Conner was our 2nd. Conner almost made zero turnovers but Austin wasn't far behind.

• Early in the season, the starting lineup could easily be

PG - Reaves - he was the second most effective PG on the roster this year
              SG - Stevenson - hard work in practice will put him there
              SF - R Brown - may as well stay with someone with a last name of Brown who struggles with his jumper
              PF - McDuffie - although I kind of wonder why there hasn't been a denial of the rumor or confirmation of his coming back - unhappy in Wichita?
              C - Midtgaard

When I look at that possible lineup, I wonder about who's coming back for Tulane, because if Tulane brings most of their guys back, I'm not confident of finishing above them in conference.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• BOBB
                BOBB commented
                Editing a comment
                If Reaves is our every day point guard, we are in trouble and I love Reaves and what he can bring, but he is a 2.

UCF, maybe Tulane, could be the conference leaders next year. Us, Cinci and Houston lose a lot. Wide open race.

• ShockingButTrue
                ShockingButTrue commented
                Editing a comment
                The fact that he was the 2nd best point guard shows just how lacking we were at the guard position. That's not a knock on the kid because I think he makes a pretty decent two guard, or even small forward because of the way he hits the glass.

We need some guards (again) in a major way next year.

• I hope SHJ gets his anxiety under control. If that can happen, we all know what second year juco players do under Marshall. I agree with many, we need 2 combo guards...preferably one HS and one juco or grad transfer. R. Brown, CJ and Moore can fight for minutes at the 3. Markis will get 25-30 minutes at the 4, with help from Poor Bear and Udeze (R. Brown might also see time here depending on match ups). Asbjorn, Echenique, Udeze and Poor Bear will battle for the 40 minutes here.

Comment

• I still think we sign 3 at least

Comment

• I still can’t figure out why so many assume Stevenson will start ahead of CJ.

Comment

• Aargh
                    Aargh commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Maybe some of us assume Stevenson will be here next year.

• Originally posted by Slykryck View Post
                  I still can’t figure out why so many assume Stevenson will start ahead of CJ.
                  Because we need scores/shooters. Today's game is drive, kick, and shoot. Stevenson and Moore have a chance to play a lot of minutes.
                  The Assman

Comment

• Topshock
                    Topshock commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Of course it won't matter unless we stop playing two five's at the same time. No room to drive, no kicks and few open shots.

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post
                  I hope SHJ gets his anxiety under control. If that can happen, we all know what second year juco players do under Marshall. I agree with many, we need 2 combo guards...preferably one HS and one juco or grad transfer. R. Brown, CJ and Moore can fight for minutes at the 3. Markis will get 25-30 minutes at the 4, with help from Poor Bear and Udeze (R. Brown might also see time here depending on match ups). Asbjorn, Echenique, Udeze and Poor Bear will battle for the 40 minutes here.
                  I don't see it with SHJ. He's not even close to the same type of player the other JUCO PG's were when they played in their junior seasons. SHJ as a starter would mean we are gonna be in deep doo-doo next year.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Aargh
                    Aargh commented
                    Editing a comment
                    SHJ as a second-unit guy would mean we're in deep doo doo.

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I don't see it with SHJ. He's not even close to the same type of player the other JUCO PG's were when they played in their junior seasons. SHJ as a starter would mean we are gonna be in deep doo-doo next year.
                  This could be all true. I do know a thing or two about anxiety and its affects on behavior and decision making. If it is accurate that this a diagnosis for him; and if it accurate he didn't have it under control this past year, and if it can be controlled through pharmacologic intervention and possibly therapy, he has a chance to fulfill the potential Gregg saw in him.

Comment

• 60Shock
                    60Shock commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's a lot of if's!

• All returner team would look like this:

PG - Haynes Jones
                  SG - Reaves
                  SF - Keyser or Rod Brown
                  PF - McDuffie
                  C - Mitgaard

this lineup might win the Valley but it’s 6th - 7th place in the AAC

Comment

• pinstripers
                    pinstripers commented
                    Editing a comment
                    middle of the pack in the Valley

• 60Shock
                    60Shock commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Near bottom or bottom in American.

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

Because we need scores/shooters. Today's game is drive, kick, and shoot. Stevenson and Moore have a chance to play a lot of minutes.
                  Scorers and shooters? How did that work out for us this year? If you can score and shoot, but can’t defend the perimeter, you’re still a liability. CJ is one of two on the roster that has shown any type of ability to defend at a D1 level. And with all the minutes potentially available, I don’t see him going anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                  X