Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What letter grade do you give the 2017-18 Coaches this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Marshall needs to re-evaluate his strategy of sitting players who pick up a 2nd foul through the 1st tv timeout of the 2nd half. We played a LOT of minutes without Shaq because of this the last two games, and Shaq finishes with 3 and 2 fouls. I see a lot of players from other teams with 2 fouls playing in the first half.

Comment

• proshox
      proshox commented
      Editing a comment
      This. It is f’ing Maddening.

Kenpom has already proved that average coaches sit players much more than fouling out ever will. HCGM takes this negative strategy to the extreme; therefore, are best players sat for no good reason..

I believe it helped lead to this year's decline in defense (in two ways). First, All the stars saw that two fouls basically eliminated their chances to play; therefore, they played defense in a way that avoided any chance of being called for a foul. Second, HCGM would go zone due to one player’s trouble. Happened a number of times. We typically gave up wide open threes after one or two passes by the other team.

A couple years ago - not playing a starter with two fouls on the first defensive possession was “cute.” This year we didn’t play guys until the under 16 or worse.

I am pretty sure his assistants knew this strategy was a loser.

I think Coach Marshall should have a banner hanging from the rafters with his name on it. Sometimes you need to step away and reflect on how fortunate we are to have this coach. Yes, we played our worst game of the year against an inferior opponent and lost. We’re not alone in doing that. We still strung together another 25 win season, a wire to wire national ranking (not sure we have ever done that that I can recall), and a 7th straight NCAA tourney invite. How many other teams can claim those accomplishments? And hey, it could be worse, we could be Virginia!

Comment

Lots of complaining but no solutions. This was not a good year. Gregg Marshall is the best and winningest coach in WSU history. Even ahead of the great HOF Coach Ralph Miller. I’m sure he’s evaluating this year but this is a “Golden Age” in Shocker basketball history. As someone who lived through the 90s (actually 1966-1980 wasn’t much better-we may have had 3-4 decent years) when we probably averaged less than 13 wins a year and never won a Championship, this is not even a close call and we need to get rid of the venom and get behind the program ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
        Lots of complaining but no solutions. This was not a good year. Gregg Marshall is the best and winningest coach in WSU history. Even ahead of the great HOF Coach Ralph Miller. I’m sure he’s evaluating this year but this is a “Golden Age” in Shocker basketball history. As someone who lived through the 90s (actually 1966-1980 wasn’t much better-we may have had 3-4 decent years) when we probably averaged less than 13 wins a year and never won a Championship, this is not even a close call and we need to get rid of the venom and get behind the program ASAP.
        No one. Repeat, No One is asking for HCGM's head. Most of us here are saying nothing that Marshall isn't saying:

On the season "We didn't play our best. We never really at any point said 'Wow, that may have been the best game we played all year'. I would have a hard time coming up with that individual game where we played that well."

"Some guys honestly regressed, you can't have that. You've got to get better and continue to evolve, as an individual, as a team, and as a coach. We've just got to be better".

Comment

D
          “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

One the one hand, we are pretty good and Marshall deserves credit for the macro-economic status of the program.

The micro-economic status needs some work. Defense, end of game inbounds plays, gameplans, etc need some work.

Its like we have the bag of legos, but no instruction manual.
            "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Working...
            X