Annual melt down thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annual melt down thread

Well - that sucked. But the issues we all saw all year killed us.

But good god I’ll miss some of these men. it’s been fun.

once again I say - no need to melt down

**** happens. Hopefully everyone that is coming back learns somethings, gets in the gym and gets better.

man did we miss Jans and Haier.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerNation28
      better luck next year, Wheat Shockers!
      So angry.

Go Hall.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I will try and keep this level headed.

Our coaching staff did us no favors this year. We usually looked unprepared for games and had to play from behind in what seems like most of the first halves. I don't pretend to know more than them, but wow that season left a lot to be desired from the top down.

We had a very soft team this year- stupid turnovers, lackadaisical play, no defensive intensity. It was sad to see how much regression took place with essentially the same team as last year.

I'm probably overreacting, but other than Shaq did anyone else on this team get better as the year went on? I can't recall anyone. I certainly appreciate and am thankful for what all the seniors and others who may leave did for the program, but I am not sad to have the chance to see new faces and a team that is tougher. We need a reset and a change in culture/attitude from what we witnessed this year.

There were some good moments and happy times, but overall it was a frustrating and disappointing year. Next November can't get here soon enough.
        Last edited by Mr. Pickle; March 16, 2018, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Turns out the AAC was little more than Kelvin Sampson, a man bun and weak ass mid-major junk!!

Comment

• Kung Wu
            Kung Wu commented
            Editing a comment
            Wha ... ?

He's a KU fan. He only posted during the KU loss in 2015 and has been liking posts that take shots at WSU ever since.

Please ban these losers. I wanna melt down with WSU fans only, not losers that are jealous of the program.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Well gosh dang darn it. :cry:

Comment

I HAAAAATE Doug Gottleib. But he had a good point:

We played 3 on 5 on both offense and defense for too may minutes this year.
              The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• Jhook89
                Jhook89 commented
                Editing a comment
                I don’t care to look it up, but I made a statement at the beginning of the season that we had too many 1 way players.

• Rlh04d
                Rlh04d commented
                Editing a comment
                That's truly a fair point. We had offensive guys that couldn't do a thing on defense, and defensive guys that couldn't do a thing on offense.

No melt down here. None of us should be really surprised by today's loss. We all knew our Achilles Heel was our porous defense and our inability to contain the other team's best guard and scorer. Today's game was another example of a guard utterly destroying us. A meltdown can be made at the lack of intensity by a lot of our players, many of them appeared to be just going through the motions as if Marshall would see the ranking by the name on our jerseys and lay down. The poor body language out there on display was just shocking to see.

Comment

Pretty simple. Coaches need to be able to make adjustments. All five on the floor must be able to score (or at least not terrified to try) and play D.

McDuffie better come back for his sake or he'll be playing in Turkey. Shamet probably needs to come back and play off the ball, but I bet he leaves.

I've not had a good feeling about this team the last half of the year. My pessimism says Lomax decommits by the end of the weekend.

Comment

I have enjoyed shouting into the void with you fellas this year. Not a ton of Shox in Reno to commiserate with.

This game was a microcosm of this season. Unprepared team. Bad defense. No real point guard. Players regressing. Unfortunate, because we had some talented pieces.

Look at our losses and close wins and other teams' stars outplayed ours. Who wouldn't take Rob Gray on our team?

Anyway, hoping the staff can be introspective and that starts at the top. It can't just be that we need better players.

If the baseball team catches fire I will jump on the bandwagon, but probably not gonna happen.
                  ​​​
                  Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

I'm not interested in melting down after this loss. Disappointing but so be it. I wanted a S16 loss to Villanova, but I had no delusions we could go further than that with this defense.

What I'm ready to melt down on is the program's future. Marshall seems to have been exposed without excellent assistants. It's not a good sign that our identity completely changed after Jan's and Heiar left -- that says to me the identity that led us this far might not have been Marshall's, and can't be sustained under him.

Roster wise, Shamet isn't ready for the NBA -- he may be drafted, but he isn't ready. We're going to miss Shaq, but I'm really not worried about any other senior leaving. Mcduffie can't get any worse next year, and won't even sniff an NBA pick after this year. We should have a good lineup, but I'm worried about the interior and what we can do to correct the defense short of hiring Jans as HC. Going to be a lot of young size inside.

This will be the first off-season that any talk of Marshall leaving will get a shrug from me.
                    Originally posted by BleacherReport
                    Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• BOBB
                      BOBB commented
                      Editing a comment
                      A manager should get credit for hiring good assistant managers, no? Past is usually prologue and I would look for some of this to get sorted out.

• Rlh04d
                      Rlh04d commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Certainly he gets credit for hiring good assistants, in the same way he gets blame for hiring poor ones.

In all seriousness, the bigger deal for me is the ability to make hard decisions there. He identified Heiar and Jans and kept them for a long time. That's more important than the initial hire. If he moves on immediately from assistants not working out, that says more than hiring them in the first place. If he doesn't, that's a major problem.

I've just finished watching this same story play out at FSU. Marshall reminds me a lot of Jimbo Fisher, for good and bad.
                      Last edited by Rlh04d; March 16, 2018, 03:29 PM.

• pie n eye
                      pie n eye commented
                      Editing a comment
                      This is a bad take, even if it’s coming after a disappointing loss and arguably season.

It's hard for me to have a meltdown over this when I am just not all that surprised.

Comment

We need people that hate to lose (staff included), not just people that like to win.

Comment

• FlyingWheat
                        FlyingWheat commented
                        Editing a comment
                        All year that had been Landry. Sure wasn’t today

I'm really happy for Conner. Amazing game.... No clue why that wasnt happening all year, but a great way to go out individually. The team? Soft as s*** It started against Notre Dame and never got better. Not a clutch bone to be found. Gregg never figured out substitutions and that Nurger should rarely play in big games. Didn't know what to do with Markis and Austin. Just frustrating....
                      Landry was so bad today. Wow.
                      But, life goes on. Lots of new faces coming in.
                      I predicted a quick exit, just didn't know it would be today. :(

Comment

• N Crestway
                        N Crestway commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Agree, really glad to see Connor go out on a good note. About the only positive in this game.

• MadaboutWu
                        MadaboutWu commented
                        Editing a comment
                        What I really wanted the win for most of all was so that Conner would get to be the hero. He deserved it.
                    Working...
                    X