Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New Yorker, WSU, and Fake News - How many factual errors can you find?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"March Madness 2018 Live Updates: TV Schedule, Bracket and Top Story Lines" - The New York Times

By ZACH SCHONBRUN and VICTOR MATHER
    Posted: 03/16/18, UPDATED 10:48 AM est

Best Chance for an Upset: Marshall vs. Wichita State (1:30 p.m. ET)
    We already mentioned New Mexico State and Clemson, but keep an eye on Coach Dan D’Antoni’s Thundering Herd. They love to push the pace and spread the floor. And this is not your typical Shockers team. They’re ranked 110th in defensive efficiency, the lowest it’s been since 2008-09.

Comment

• FlyingWheat
      FlyingWheat commented
      Editing a comment
      You’re saying that The NY Times is picking us to lose because Koch’s name is on our stadium? That’s a bit of a stretch. The article doesn’t mention Koch at all.

"March Madness Has Become About The Koch Brothers – Is Nothing Sacred Anymore?" - The Daily Caller

by David Hookstead, Reporter
    Ported: 12:16 PM 03/16/2018

March Madness is one of the most sacred traditions in America, and The New Yorker is doing its best to ruin it by making it about Charles and David Koch.

"March Madness is one of the most sacred traditions in America, and The New Yorker is doing its best to ruin it by making it about Charles and David Koch.

The tournament is about young men taking the court to crown one champion out of 68 contenders. It’s about basketball, fun times, friendship, memories and legends being born. The New Yorker apparently missed the memo on all of that with its piece, “How Charles Koch Turned Wichita State into a College-Basketball Powerhouse.”...

Do you see what they’re doing here? The New Yorker is trying to argue that the the Koch brothers funneled money to WSU, and then they try to draw the most obscure tie to the fact Pompeo is a fan and now he’s the nominee Secretary of State. This is about as big of a stretch as you can get. He got money from the Koch’s, WSU got money from them, so there must be something sinister going on here! Happy March Madness, everybody. I’m glad we’re finally focused on what’s important. Not the games, but the Koch brothers!

But wait! I have found something that apparently The New Yorker didn’t when writing this story. The whole thing is staged to make it seem like the Koch’s money is pretty exclusive to WSU. Well, it’s not. According to the Wall Street Journal, the Charles Koch foundation has given money to more than 300 schools.

This article is so flawed that in the initial version of the story, The New Yorker referred to the WSU mascot as corn. Outstanding work from their research team.

Is nothing exempt from politics these days in America? Here’s an even better question. Does the person who wrote this article even know anything about college basketball? Wichita State built their program through incredible recruiting – plucking diamonds from the rough – and great coaching from Gregg Marshall. If it was just the money, then why aren’t all 300 schools the Kochs donated to massive powerhouses? The answer is an obvious one. A small donation to WSU didn’t make them a basketball powerhouse.

WSU got to where they are today because they took kids nobody else wanted. A perfect example would be Ron Baker. That guy was embarrassingly under-recruited coming out of high school and turned into a star under Gregg Marshall. But that’s not nearly as salacious as blaming creeping Koch-ria, so it doesn’t get mentioned.

Wichita State did things the right way, and it’s the reason why they are a dominant team. Maybe the folks at The New Yorker should spend a little more time watching basketball and relaxing instead of drumming up dumb articles about school donations."

Comment

People are going to complain about the New Yorker and then are going to link to the Daily Caller? What was the Breitbart or The Blaze not available?

Comment

• FadedCrown
        FadedCrown commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't think Breitbart writes about WSU

• AndShock
        AndShock commented
        Editing a comment
        In this case one is clearly right and one is clearly wrong.

Oh my, I certainly was not expecting conversations about 'The New Yorker' when I signed up. My family has subscribed for decades, always a good read! We also enjoy 'The New Republic' as well as 'The Atlantic'.

Comment

Working...
      X