Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New Yorker, WSU, and Fake News - How many factual errors can you find?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Yorker, WSU, and Fake News - How many factual errors can you find?

How many factual errors can you find?

"How Charles Koch Turned Wichita State into a College-Basketball Powerhouse" - The New Yorker

By Zach Helfand
    Posted: 02/15/18, 7:22 P.M. est

https://www.newyorker.com/news/sport...all-powerhouse

"Five years ago, the unranked Shockers of Wichita State surprised everyone by popping up in college basketball’s Final Four. Such Cinderella runs are often one-off affairs, but Wichita State exhibited unusual staying power. The next year, they went undefeated during the entire regular season. In N.C.A.A. tournaments to come, they sunk the powerhouse programs Indiana, Arizona, and Kansas. This year, the Shockers are the fourth seed in the East bracket. Among the key factors to their sustained success: a wizard of a coach, excellent defensive play, and the deep pockets of the world’s eighth-richest man, the conservative mega-donor Charles Koch...."
    0 - There is no Liberal or East Coast Bias
    38.71%
    1-3
    3.23%
    4-7
    9.68%
    8-10
    0%
    10+ and i have stopped counting
    48.39%
    Last edited by WuShock Reaper; March 17, 2018, 10:23 AM.

lol

Comment

Sports and The New Yorker don’t mix
      The Assman

Comment

I had to stop reading. I have to figure why a school named the wheatshockers would have a mascot made out of corn.

Comment

Typical left wing media crap. A never-ending deluge of unapologetically slanted garbage.

Comment

The whole article alleges evil, but the only thing the Koch’s did was donate finances.
            Livin the dream

Comment

Wow. Hit piece aimed at the Kochs and WSU, dressed up as a story about basketball.

Comment

I couldn't get past the caption of the lead in photo. It said we had a strong defense.

I imagine the rest of the article doesn't get more accurate.

Comment

• FadedCrown
                  FadedCrown commented
                  Editing a comment
                  While you are right, the article was not accurate, the strong defense was a key to our success, which the article states.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/new-yorker/

Comment

Other than the corn statement, this one had me laughing “established climate-change science”

Last edited by DwShock; March 16, 2018, 07:59 AM.

Comment

FadedCrown, you could be right. I didn't make it far enough to see what they said. The photo caption says Wichita State has a strong defense, which we certainly don't.

Comment

That was...interesting...? Had to quit reading. It was just a *****-fest about the Kochs

Comment

Just more left leaning crap disguised as an article about WSU basketball. I stopped reading the drivel,, did they ever get to the Russia conection part LOL
                        From the road I listen (Tune In radio) at home I watch ( season Ticks )

Comment

The New Yorker is less credible than those celebrity magazines in supermarket check-out aisles.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                            FadedCrown, The photo caption says Wichita State has a strong defense, which we certainly don't.

Some of our defensive critics (from within) lack balance when you talk about our defense. It depends what the word "strong" means. We don't have an ELITE defense but our defense is definitely good. From the statistics that I've seen we are rated in the Top Quartile for Division 1 defenses. Real Time (86th) and Adj D from Kenpom was around 100, puts the Shocker defense in the 70 to 75 percentile of all Div. 1 defenses. I think we held our opponents to 71 points which again puts us in that range of defense. Many of the teams whose defense ranks higher plays a slower pace on offense which helps their defense. Again, our defense wasn't the best in our league but we were probably 4th or 5th on team defense. Not ELITE but SOLID and good.

I hope we revert back (recruiting) to getting stronger players who are more physical and capable of dominating the other team when we are on defense, and are strong enough to take care of the ball better (fewer turnovers) but we don't have that type of player right now. While I don't like our defense as much as in the past, I do like our offense.

Comment

Working...
                            X