Gonzaga among programs in talk to join the Mountain West Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gonzaga among programs in talk to join the Mountain West Conference

Mountain West Conference commissioner Craig Thompson said Wednesday he has spoken with six university presidents or athletic directors about joining the league, though Gonzaga was the only school he identified.

Saw this up on ESPN and wondered if our move to the American is influencing things, which I wouldn't be surprised one bit if it is. The Mountain West has fallen a bit the past few years but is still better than the WCC, and although they're really established, Zags goes through the same issues we did year in and year out with weak competition with St. Mary's essentially being their UNI.

Seems like it would benefit the MW conference more than Zags but still benefit them nonetheless. I wonder with the trouble BYU has had getting into a power conference, if they wouldn't try to be getting back into the MW as well, especially if Zags does. NMSU seems like it would be a decent option down the road as well if they can hold on to Coach Jans.

Comment

Sorry, my bad everyone. Choking myself as it type this with my other hand.
      Last edited by Walker; March 1, 2018, 10:37 AM.

Comment

• Cdizzle
        Cdizzle commented
        Editing a comment
        Just pointing it out so the threads can get merged one way or another. It's interesting info.

• Walker
        Walker commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yeah I know, no worries. I was just being a goofball. Completely forgot to check the Around the NCAA section, which it would make more sense for it to be in there.

When the MWC falls behind the MVC in basketball and the MVC doesn't have Creighton or WSU, it's time to do SOMETHING!
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

If Uconn ever leaves the AAC I wouldn’t mind seeing Gonzaga join up.

Comment

• Shoxthemonkey
          Shoxthemonkey commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll bet Temple and ECU say no.

Originally posted by dwbarcl View Post
        If Uconn ever leaves the AAC I wouldn’t mind seeing Gonzaga join up.
        If you do that, you may as well rename the conference American Airlines Conference for all the traveling teams would do.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingWheat View Post

If you do that, you may as well rename the conference American Airlines Conference for all the traveling teams would do.
          Free Concords for everyone.

Comment

In a couple of years there is the possibility of Big 12 realignment. For the Big 12 leftovers, joining the Mountain West, or the Big 12 picking off a few Mountain West members could likely happen. KU fans are justifiably worried about something like this given their dysfunctional Athletic Department and terrible Football program. Up until a few years ago the assumption was that Kansas could find a home in one or two power 5 conferences [Big 10 and Pac 12 ] based on their strong men's basketball program...now it seems less likely going forward.

Comment

Working...
            X