X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bias against the MVC?

Brought up in the Bracketology thread.

Please explain to me this...

Why is SMC on the bubble and Loyola is not?

Anyone who’s paying attention won’t be shocked if St. Mary’s is left out on Selection Sunday. My guess is that they get the play-in game treatment (you didn’t prove anything during the season, prove it now).

Comment

They're reasonably close, but the predictive metrics stand out to me. SMC has a significantly stronger BPI, KenPom, and Sagarin. I'm not saying the committee will care about that, but it is a distinguishing feature between the two resumes.
      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

why does Loyola only have one quadrant 2 game against certain conference teams. For example, I would think that both games against SIU would be in the same quadrant?
        Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
        Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

• SB Shock
          SB Shock commented
          Editing a comment
          The NCAA is weighting road and neutral site games heavier than home games with their new quadrant system.

Originally posted by capnkirk View Post
        why does Loyola only have one quadrant 2 game against certain conference teams. For example, I would think that both games against SIU would be in the same quadrant?
        Home, road, neutral games are treated differently this year.

Q1
        Home :1-30
        Neutral: 1-50
        Road: 1-75

Q2
        Home: 31-75
        Neutral: 51-100
        Road 76-135

etc etc

Comment

The MVC provided Loyola only four Q2 games, all on the road. Zero Q1 games.

Once again: God Bless the American.

But yes, I don't expect SMC to make the tournament. Like Rocky Mountain Shock said, play-in at best.

Comment

Looking just at rpi shows that it's fool's gold to consider the Valley stronger because of their conference ranking by rpi metrics.

The average rpi of the non-Loyola teams is 133 with a low of 87 and a high of 177. There really aren't any teams that could be considered even decent other than Loyola. There also aren't any total duds, so the Valley looks decent overall because they don't have any bottom dwellers really dragging down the overall conference (such as ECU and USF, who are 100 rpi points worse than the worst teams in the Valley).

Loyola doesn't even have a top-50 rpi team on their schedule. If a team wants an at large bid, they need to at least try in their scheduling. SMC has 3 top-50 games on their schedule and has a road win over Gonzaga. There's a big difference between SMC's best win (@ Gonzaga) and Loyola's (@ #58 Florida).
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• AndShock
              AndShock commented
              Editing a comment
              Top 50 is an irrelevant metric. Same as saying top 43.

• ShockerPhi
              ShockerPhi commented
              Editing a comment
              Well then so is the Quadrant system...

• AndShock
              AndShock commented
              Editing a comment
              Quadrants aren’t irrelevant. More like arbitrary.
          Working...
          X