#13 WSU vs Tulane Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Conner, Austin, Shaq, and even Willis are all better offensively. Now Duff looks to be ready to add to the offensive end. When you have this many offensive weapons, good passers, and rebounders, your offense improves. If we were playing MVC teams we'd be winning by 30 every game. It would look like our defense was really good but against good offensive teams, with NBA prospects, we'd be exposed. FVV, Baker, Cotton etc. could dominate teams (KU)by pressuring offenses. Landry and company aren't like that. That may change after this year.
    Good points. I agree my post did read as overly critical. I think all these guys are fantastic young men who we should all be proud to have represent our university. I think we should all aspire to display the level of character of Zach and Rashard, for example. I don't ever question they're effort or diligence. I was just observing what seems like a decline in their individual defensive levels this season. It could be that their defensive strengths were accentuated in the Valley and their weaknesses are exposed with how basketball is now played with spread offenses and the emphasis on 3s. I'm just searching for some kind of explanation for what I expected to be this teams' strength and has turned out to be it's weakness.
    Last edited by Zubcut; February 21, 2018, 11:04 PM.

Comment

• You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• shockrah
        shockrah commented
        Editing a comment
        He must have been tired of the game hen jokes.
        A guy can only take so much of that before he says something.
        This was his night.

• No doubt that Kelly and Brown are terrible ball handlers, I cringe anytime Brown drives into the paint usually ending in a turnover. Rashard probably played the worst game in about a month, he’s been having a good year being our junk-yard-dog. Brown just needs to stick to his role and that doesn’t include trying to create offense or shooting 30 foot three pointers early in the shot clock. If everyone sticks to the script and plays to there strength we will increase our chances to a strong finish in league play and a deep run in March

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackmag View Post
        No doubt that Kelly and Brown are terrible ball handlers, I cringe anytime Brown drives into the paint usually ending in a turnover. Rashard probably played the worst game in about a month, he’s been having a good year being our junk-yard-dog. Brown just needs to stick to his role and that doesn’t include trying to create offense or shooting 30 foot three pointers early in the shot clock. If everyone sticks to the script and plays to there strength we will increase our chances to a strong finish in league play and a deep run in March
        Bingo. If everybody knows and accepts their roles, we're good to go. What's a little disconcerting is that happens continually this late into the season. There should be some point out I would think that you not play to your weaknesses. It's obvious what their weaknesses are and yet they show up doing the same things every game, mostly leading to bad things.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Never ceases to amaze me how gritty ShockerNation is showing up. It's bloody awful outside. Yeah, a couple hunskie no shows in the GA section and I'm sure zero walk up crowd due to the time and weather. And geez, if anyone is like me, and feels like rotting rhino ass warmed over, still battling Hantavirus, bubonic plague or whatever the eff is going our town right now, you might not have felt like being on your feet and screaming at the top of your lungs either, if in fact you have any lung capacity remaining. I didn't think I was going to make it, and I was positive when it was over I wasn't going to make it home. Tough conditions for sure.

Once we heard Landry was out I knew Conner was the MVP, IF we win. He was huge. But what is he going to do against 6'5" athletic guards? He just can't guard them. Everyone knows it, they isolate him and it's tough sledding. We have to help and someone is open and tonight, again, that someone knocked down every freaking 3. Come on, 60%? It's laughable at this point.

I give CJ credit for not vomiting, making free throws and hitting the glass. You have to start somewhere. But dude was completely lost defensively. There were times it was 4 guys trying to guard 5, usually Conner trying to cover 2 kids, and CJ is just praying a Tulane player will magically run into him so it will look like he guarded someone. Austin was screaming at him to try and get him in the right spot (from his foul prone spot on the bench) but to no avail. Still, that was an exceedingly tough spot for the young man, and he did some things well.

Markis' 3 with about 90 seconds left may have been one of the worst shots in the history of basketball. He can be so damned good sometimes. I wish he'd relax just a touch and let the game come to his immense talent.

So damned happy for Conner and proud of his effort. We HAD to have to him tonight and he delivered. I kept begging him to not ever pass but he's just not selfish enough. It has to be hard for him.

This is one of the greatest WSU teams of all time. I hope you are enjoying it as much as I am. Coach's comment about us being fools gold is right, if you're talking about winning a Natty. Right now we don't play D well enough to do that. And maybe that's just this team, I don't know. But I love watching them play, and I love what they have accomplished and what they have yet to accomplish. And they rarely, if EVER don't make me proud to be a supporter and fan. And I thank all of them for that.

And I hope someone recorded the victory song in the locker room. Go Shocks!

I almost forgot, because like so many fans, I'm spoiled rotten, but Shaq again was incredible. There aren't enough descriptors for the young man. Guys pounding him, goading him, trying anything to slow him down (you CANNOT stop him these days) and all he does is drop 25 and 9 with essentially zero help. The kid has been abused, screamed at, benched, left at home, challenged and at times even ridiculed and he's responded by being one of the most genuine and fun loving young man I've ever known at WSU, and just maybe one of the top 20 or so all time Shockers when it's all said and done. Another great game by SHAQ.
          Last edited by WuDrWu; February 21, 2018, 11:30 PM.

Comment

• Shocker Mama
            Shocker Mama commented
            Editing a comment
            Video of Shaq staying calm while being mistreated.

Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.

• WuDrWu
            WuDrWu commented
            Editing a comment
            Keep watching after that first video. It's a SHAQ highlight reel and a GREAT view of his clean block. Ok, he followed through at the very end, but that's NOT called in big boy basketball. Incredible play.

• Coming off the Cincy win this was about what I expected. I just have to defend RN from it least
          one poster. First, he only played ten minutes but he had TWO blocks and hit a key jump shot
          down the stretch when Tulane was making a run. Don't know how anyone could call his play a
          "disaster". He is and always has been a valuable player for us and played decently tonight.
          In addition, he knows his role and plays it VERY well. Love SM's play lately on BOTH ends.
          Great game for CF and AR, as well. CJ had his best game as a Shocker but has to know his
          role and don't force things.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
            Coming off the Cincy win this was about what I expected. I just have to defend RN from it least
            one poster. First, he only played ten minutes but he had TWO blocks and hit a key jump shot
            down the stretch when Tulane was making a run. Don't know how anyone could call his play a
            "disaster". He is and always has been a valuable player for us and played decently tonight.
            In addition, he knows his role and plays it VERY well. Love SM's play lately on BOTH ends.
            Great game for CF and AR, as well. CJ had his best game as a Shocker but has to know his
            role and don't force things.
            You're referring to me on the Nurger comment. I only referred to his defense as a disaster. Mostly because he can't recover to shooters or rollers after hedging on the pick and roll. He is constantly exposed on that play, and with how basketball is played now, that ability is a must. "Disaster" was probably a bit harsh, as he has done a fairly good job blocking shots and is usually not making mental mistakes. He doesn't get out of position as much as his lack of mobility is often exposed. He also doesn't rebound well for his size. I don't have any issues with his effort or attempts to do the right things on D. Our bigs are all poor at recovering off of picks to shooters and Rauno is the poster boy.

Comment

• proshox
              proshox commented
              Editing a comment
              This problem goes away if we play smaller...

• Topshock
              Topshock commented
              Editing a comment
              His defense frequently is a disaster giving up a lot of points.
              Agree with proshox, just go smaller while Shaq is resting

• WheatShock
              WheatShock commented
              Editing a comment
              I wonder if Nurger isn't hedging too hard on screens? He tends to hedge very hard and ends up way out there and is so far away from his man that nobody could recover in time. Maybe backing off on that would help.

By way of contrast Shaq barely hedges at all.

• We got a win... I have watched Tulane against good competition and they always stay in the game. I was really surprised when the WSU lead expanded above 15 points.

HCGM wasn't "outcoached," but his conservatism kept the game much closer than it would have otherwise been.

The fear of one player fouling out led to a number of oddball coaching decisions. This had to be a "wet dream" for the Tulane coaching staff. Not only is the WSU MVP out sick, the next most versatile score is sitting on the bench with 2,3, and 4 fouls, but now WSU is playing zone! !!!! I don't get the strategy since the remaining players were not in foul trouble & we have plenty of depth... Unfortunately, this team CANNOT execute an effective zone defense.

Everyone keeps talking about last year to this year when regarding defensive efficiency... if we start playing smaller and avoid a zone at all costs the numbers will move in the right direction.

Other head scratchers -

Leaving RK in the game with a couple of minutes left when Tulane was shooting free throws - we knew we were about to get the ball back. The offensive set left him standing in the corner. The same corner that he has not hit a shot from in 2017/2018. McDuffie needs to be the four when we go offense for defense in late game situations (DW's decision making scares me in the close games). MM can realistically hit the baseline three or create at the end of the shot clock.

Not continuously playing AR's for the last four minutes... at some point the risk / reward equation forces you to play him when there are limited minutes remaining.

Not calling a timeout when we had the ball with zero ball handlers on the court... bottom line: going defense for offense shouldn't result in zero ball handlers on the court

Final thoughts:

I keep wondering if CJ's driving/finishing is fool's gold or legit... If he was in the scouting report would those drives work? If they would, his game has an element which is currently missing in the rotation (The TC drive to finish).

CF's game was good and post game interview was better. He got to play the way he "wants" or is "comfortable" playing. I hope he can continue to be aggressive when LS returns.

SM quietly put up massive numbers. I believe he has slowly become a great player and it isn't fully appreciated and may not be until he is gone.

CJ did as well as one could hope with his first real minutes.

Comment

• Zubcut
              Zubcut commented
              Editing a comment
              Great post. I basically agree with everything. Especially keeping Austin on the bench in crunch time. Marshall fouled Reaves out of the game more than the refs did. Reaves is a smart player. He can play without fouling if he has to. CJs great foul shooting saved this from looking worse. Also someone blamed Kelly for taking that last 3. He had to shoot to beat the shot clock. In this offense he was in the corner to spread the floor. The real problem is you need a shooter standing in that corner at that point in the game. Rashard had no other choice but to take that shot though. CF made a great drive and dish for a wide open 3 with 2 seconds on the shot clock. Unfortunately, the wide open shooter was Kelly. I have a feeling, at this point, Rashard can get a wide open 3 any time he wants one.
              Last edited by Zubcut; February 22, 2018, 12:34 AM.

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
            we just gave up 86 at home to a bad team
            Good heavens. Did you take WSU and give the points?

Anyway, they did so and still won without Tulane's ever having a possession to tie, much less take the lead. We've seen previous WSU teams find a way drop games like this, and do it at home -- even the version with FVV, Baker, Cotton, and Wessel -- in a solid (or more than merely solid) season. Actually, we've seen that same thing happen earlier this year, although not so much at home, but in Maui to ND and in Philly to Temple.

But not tonight, even without Shamet, and with Reaves nitpicked onto the bench. Obviously they'll have to play better at SMU, but they should have no trouble with the mental side of that one. Let's just hope Landry feels better and that Milton doesn't miraculously return from the DL to go crazy again. One performance like that per season is all that's allowed.

Comment

• No more teams in conference to SCOUT! At least for the first time! Great job COACHES!!! Great job players!!! Great job ShockerNation!!!!

This is Big-Time Division I Basketball!!

The end-goal has not been reached yet...but we are positioned to get it should we still want it!

WE CONTROL OUR OWN DESTINY!
              KNOW THAT! BELIEVE THAT! AND GO GET THAT!!!!

Great win again against another tough team!

GO SHOCKS!!!!!!!

FINAL FOURS:
              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
              Number of Times Ranked: 157
              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
              #3 - Dec. 2017
              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
              #2 ~ March 2014
              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• IF YOU HATE LONG POSTS, DON'T READ. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

I just rewatched the game, focusing only on CJ Keyser's minutes. I was surprised how well he really played. Contrary to what someone here thought, his defense was actually quite good.
                In the first half he got beat badly on one dribble-drive at half-court, then miscommunicated on a switch leaving the ball and a wide open shot. Fortunately the shot was missed and CJ rebounded, got fouled and hit 2 FTs. Other than that his first half defense was excellent. He gave up one three, but contested it well and didn't foul the shooter. He stayed in front of his man, played smart, and gave good effort the entire time. On offense, he had two great drives for scores, and a third that was a good shot that rolled off. His ball handling was good and he had a great assist for a layup. No turnovers.
                In the second half he started with a great entry pass to Shaq for a layup. On the very next defensive possession he caused a tie-up on a driver to force a turnover. He gave up a 3 at 17:10 but he contested it ok, not great. His last possession before getting subbed out was a beat-the-clock 3-ball that barely missed, that was a good play just to get the shot off in time. On his next stint he was again forced to shoot to beat the shot clock and missed a 17 footer. Even though he missed all of his 3 outside shots, two were desperation shots to beat the clock, none were bricks. Although his defense was good in general, he did let a couple of ball handlers escape the trap on the press too easily and we gave up easy looks on the press break as a result. What impressed me most was CJs crunch time minutes. His ball handling against the press was tremendous. He was poised and made great passes on the press break. He made a crucial dish to Shaq for FTs at 2:15. None of Tulane's many late game scores were on CJ.
                In conclusion, I see now why Marshall gave CJ so many minutes. He played a very good game. I was struck by how few mistakes and how many good decisions he made throughout. Unlike most of his teammates, CJ has the ability to help on D and still quickly recover out to a shooter and contest the shot. He was money in crunch time at the line, and never looked remotely like a liability on offense or defense. He needs to be more of a threat from outside, but Marshall has said he's a good shooter. It's by far the best I've seen him play and I bet he's now the fourth guard in the rotation and that Marshall will trust him with more than just garbage minutes from here on. I'm also much more optimistic about his role on next year's team.
                (Sorry for the excessive length of this post but I broke my leg and have a lot of time on my hands)
                Last edited by Zubcut; February 22, 2018, 02:53 AM.

Comment

• Zeb, I focus on RN like you obviously do on CJ as he is one of my favorites. Always has been so
                  I watch his every move. First, I commented that last night was CJ's best game and I am a little
                  more encouraged going forward ( next season ) with his play, however, one decent game against
                  a weak defensive team like Tulane hasn't made me a believer yet. Back to RN. I've watched a lot
                  of good teams play throughout the season and have noticed there are a LOT of centers on very
                  good teams that are left exposed on those high pick plays. It's not just RN that can occasionally look
                  bad on those high pick and rolls. I think his one on one defense is very good and plays very good
                  help defense, as well. In addition, watch him block out so that others can get an easy rebound. He
                  blocks out extremely well and it goes un noticed unless your watching closely. Still has second
                  highest FG % on the team, is a very good passer, and takes good care of the ball.

Comment

• proshox
                    proshox commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Correct - 6'10" dudes aren't covering the action... We have a scheme where this becomes an option for the other team's to attack... As teams get smaller and more skilled this weakness is more often exploited.

• Happy for the win. The guys showed grit and toughness and played well offensively without Landry. Now...about those 50 pt halves...

Comment

• Coaches presser was interesting after the game. After he looks at tape he could temper his opinions but this was what stuck out to him

Conner and Shaq were great
                    CJ played really good
                    MM played well
                    After those 4 tough to find any production
                    CJ was perfect from the free throw line, could be a lock down defender but sometimes watches shots standing flat footed. Is very athletic during warm ups but needs to translate that athleticism to the defensive part of his game on the court.
                    AR got called for fouls trying to stay in front of his guy. Coach doesn't know what he did to the Refs? but they called him on everything. He wasn't very good missing free throws and throwing it away but he sat for long periods and that may have thrown him off but he just wasn't very good.
                    Upfront guys are not defending like he would like.

Comment

• Jhook89
                      Jhook89 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      He also didn’t seem overly happy about Shamet not playing.

• im4wsu
                      im4wsu commented
                      Editing a comment
                      AR "throwing it away and missing FT -- he did one of each. Pretty tough evaluation. Was 4-6 FG and 2-3 3FG and a steal. I'll take that line, except for the fouls. The second one was extremely bogus; he was standing there watching and then stuck both hands in right on the ball and the official who was peering from behind through the Tulane player's midsection call the foul. He should give up the striped shirt for one with a big "S" emblem.

• those type of teams that win by outscoring, outstanding offense, looking slick are the teams that get upset in the second round of the ncaa tournament.

Comment

• Shockm
                      Shockm commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I want to add to your comment that half of the teams lose in the second round of the tourney. Bad defensive teams are much more likely to lose. While we have warts, we are not a bad defensive team. Teams who can't score (have to make free throws because sometimes it is difficult to score) also lose early in the tourney. They may win one game but do not move on to the Elite 8 or Final 4. We have enough of the make up of an Elite 8 team that I hope we put it together at the right time. We have to score, play good defense, and be very tough to win close games.
                  Working...
                  X