#13 WSU vs Tulane Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
    ....and the piss and moan crowd is back!

Do I need to go back and talk about games like this we have lost late in the year and yet went on to have a post season run?

We were poor in multiple areas including the end of the bench that wears suit and ties, played without our best player, and watched Tulane make some shots that they haven’t made all year.... but we still had some guys step up and make plays.....the W is all that matters
    Yes. Our job is to say way to go Conner and CJ. Pin would rather we have ere still playing Drake and SIU. LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by golferc View Post
      Large number of naysayers. Ever heard of trap game after an emotional hard fought game? Oh and your best player is not suited up
      Everyone realizes this, but the fact remains, our defense, particularly at home, is atrocious. How many 50 point halves is this now?

Comment

• It's become obvious that, at least this year, our defensive stoppers are not very good at defense. Zach has especially regressed. He's been noticably slower and hasn't really stopped anyone this year. Nurger has been a disaster. McDuffie hasn't played to last year's form on D either. Shaq is the only one who I can think of who has actually improved over last season. He's not great, but he's been a good rim protector. You would think the same players who ranked 13th in D last year would be able to find an answer. I just am resigned to the fact it isn't going to happen. They don't get the same deflections/turnovers that disrupted offenses last year. Frankamp I think is smart defender but with physical limitations. The same for Reaves, although his length helps him. Rashard is a good rebounder, but pretty average as a defender.
        Thank goodness we have a GREAT offense. We'll just have to see how far that offense can take us.

I don't completely blame our drop in defense on going to the AAC either. If that was it, how do you explain or offense being better this year over last? Shouldn't our offense have suffered too?
        Last edited by Zubcut; February 21, 2018, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• A lot of players learned a lot tonight and most did well. The Shockers faced adversity unlike they have so far this year. No Landry, guard fouls, sub-par Zach and Rashard and very inconsistent officiating.

Connor was money. So was C.J. Reaves was productive when he was allowed to stay on the court and Markis continues to fill in the gaps in his game. Shaq had become one of the most consistent and power players in recent memory.

A win is a win. Dunleavey made some huge half time adjustments and spread the floor, which caused numerous defensive lapse by the Shockers. Again - good teaching moments. This includes for the coaching staff.

I thought the crowd was very lethargic - like 7-10 points was a comfortable lead. Very poor. I couldn't get folks in 119 to wake up. Damn people- one more home game and this group is gone. Give them some love.
          Last edited by Shocker85; February 21, 2018, 09:58 PM.
          Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
            SHJ experiment is over, imo

CJ Keyser experiment is over if we can find anyone worth signing
            agree on the SHJ part. See if he wants to pay his own way next year.

Comment

• Swap CJK for SHJ as our 10th man.

Comment

• I went to the game and it was what felt like 90-95% full. I think the weather scared some people away.

Kelly, Brown, Nurger did not earn anything this game... They played awful.
                You could tell when Tulane would make a run... when brown and kelly were subbed back in and nurger for morris.

Austin got jobbed by the officials on some pretty awful foul calls.

Conner had a great game, morris played great, Keyser played awesome. His energy and offense/defense saved WSU. SHJ played well at times, he still drives into the lane and gets blocked.

The officiating was bad, no question about it.

#0 on Tulane should have IMMEDIATELY been T'ed up after he made his first 3 pointer. He turned to Marshall and the bench and said something and showboated. Marshall looked at the officials and never got a straight answer on it.

The big block on morris at the end of the game was ONE OF THE WORST I HAVE EVER SEEN. He got all ball and there was no question about it.

I did not know Landry was a scratch until my dad texted me right before the game started.
                Last edited by mjbaker84; February 21, 2018, 10:19 PM.

Comment

• shock-it-to-me
                  shock-it-to-me commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Go back and watch replay of that Morris block/foul and you will see he got him with a LOT of body. It was a good call.

• Slykryck
                  Slykryck commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Gottta disagree. I thought he went straight up (so body contact is allowed) and got all ball. Terrible call.

• Not pretty, but our offense carried us through to the win. Now all we got to do to end the regular season is coast through SMU, UCF, and Cincy..

Comment

• I will never apologize for a win and neither should the team especially without our star point guard.
                  Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

• I was just glad to get out with the win. Landry being out created a domino effect of guys playing out of position. Let’s just take the win and hope Landry is good to go this weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zubcut View Post
                      It's become obvious that, at least this year, our defensive stoppers are not very good at defense. Zach has especially regressed. He's been noticably slower and hasn't really stopped anyone this year. Nurger has been a disaster. McDuffie hasn't played to last year's form on D either. Shaq is the only one who I can think of who has actually improved over last season. He's not great, but he's been a good rim protector. You would think the same players who ranked 13th in D last year would be able to find an answer. I just am resigned to the fact it isn't going to happen. They don't get the same deflections/turnovers that disrupted offenses last year. Frankamp I think is smart defender but with physical limitations. The same for Reaves, although his length helps him. Rashard is a good rebounder, but pretty average as a defender.
                      Thank goodness we have a GREAT offense. We'll just have to see how far that offense can take us.

I don't completely blame our drop in defense on going to the AAC either. If that was it, how do you explain or offense being better this year over last? Shouldn't our offense have suffered too?
                      Conner, Austin, Shaq, and even Willis are all better offensively. Now Duff looks to be ready to add to the offensive end. When you have this many offensive weapons, good passers, and rebounders, your offense improves. If we were playing MVC teams we'd be winning by 30 every game. It would look like our defense was really good but against good offensive teams, with NBA prospects, we'd be exposed. FVV, Baker, Cotton etc. could dominate teams (KU)by pressuring offenses. Landry and company aren't like that. That may change after this year.

Comment

• Gutsy win tonight, give Tulane credit they hit some big shots to keep it interesting. No Landry, Reeves in foul trouble all night, some iffy calls but we did what championship teams do and that’s find away to win. Shaq and Conner led the way with big time play, and CJ played his best game as a Shocker hitting pressure cooker free throws. CJ also had some nice drives to the basket. Defending the 3 has been an issue this year but we seem to overcome it with our offense. Willis rebounded well but his offense wasn’t there, and Nurger has been inconsistent or a no-show for a month. Hopefully he can turn it around soon. SHJ had a good first half but second half has some real head-scratchers and found himself back on the bench. Tulane has about everyone back next year and with there coach they will be a handful. Fun game, now we need three more. Go Shocks

Comment

• I'm sorry but unless we're up 30 with under 3 minutes left, I don't think I wanna see SHJ on the floor again ever. Harsh but fact.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• ShockdaWorld
                            ShockdaWorld commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I’m not sure Kaelen shouldn’t be getting his minutes.

• Considering our "guy" was out and Reaves was plagued with erroneous foul calls, I thought we played pretty well. We had a 16 point halftime lead and just flat out lost our edge. CF stepped up in a a big way. Nice to see him take control of a game. Shaq was simply unstoppable again. He should have gotten the ball even more. The dude is a load and a force and cannot be stopped. CJ was pretty good. It was nice to see him get some minutes. I'm still not sure where he stands next year, but we'll see. He made some CLUTCH free throws that sealed it that some of our seniors struggle with.

I thought the momentum changed when RK fumbled an easy breakaway pass out of bounds for a turnover after CF made an incredible steal. That was beyond frustrating. RK and ZB cannot handle the ball more than 2 seconds without butterfingers setting in. I'd rather have RK just stop the fast break, dribble it out, and work the offense. And why does Kelly continually insist on taking 3's? Freaking automatic turnover every time.

Got kinda hairy at the end in their press. ZB receives the ball for some reason off the in-bounds and nearly Randy Burns it Indiana State style. I'm surprised he wasn't called for a travel when he flopped on the ground and got it tied up. How about a timeout? We had 2. Talk about lucking out. I think it was a 3? point game at that point and a turnover there could have been game-changing.

Just low IQ basketball. Some of the sub patterns and lineups were interesting.

But a W is a W. We're 12-3 and continue to control our own destiny.

Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• ShockerFever
                            ShockerFever commented
                            Editing a comment
                            You're thinking of the play much later in the game where SHJ fired one out of MM's reach. I'm talking about earlier when we could have pushed the lead to 20. RK received the pass from ZB.

• ShockTalk
                            ShockTalk commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Nice post, Fev. I didn't like the 2nd half starting lineup and made the comment before play started. RK, ZB, and CJ just isn't a very potent offense. I understand why Reaves didn't start (not that I agree), but think MM in place of Kelly, maybe Brown, would have kept the D shored up while giving us that offensive pop we didn't half.

First Half: No Shamet, Reaves in a little foul trouble, yet we built a 16 point half time lead. Shows we're capable should give some confidence.

Second Half: I'll look at this as the glass half full. Tulane cut our lead down quickly. Given the same LS and AR situation, the team didn't fold, even though there was plenty of time for Tulane to have taken it away. We bent several times, but didn't break. This, too, should give some confidence.

• jdshock
                            jdshock commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Re: the ZB tie ball - The replay sure made it look like he was trying to call a timeout. We were really lucky we had the possession arrow.

• Even Rembrandt had a bad picture or too. Shocks won even though they painted a bad picture tonight as well. Lots not to like...a few things that pleased. CJ did well and helped at the line. Shaq was fine and has become such a great force over the last 5 weeks. CF hit it when needed over and over. MM had good moments (and dumb ones as well). Some ill advised shots...some great shots at time for Tulane. Austin did what he could despite being hit with fouls. Nurger had another subpar game. Willis just scares me any times he touches the ball...ditto ZB. Shocks won. That’s all anyone will care about a few days from now.

Comment

Working...
                          X