Players Personally Invite Girl in Cancer Treatment to Tulane Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Players Personally Invite Girl in Cancer Treatment to Tulane Game

Austin Reaves, Brett Barney, Rauno Nurger, and Rashard Kelly went to see a girl getting chemo. They gave her a basketball and invited her and her family to the Tulane game.

Maddy Rodell is in the middle of chemotherapy after being diagnosed with hodgkins lymphoma in December last year.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Thanks Aargh. Pretty special. Gotta mean even more to you.

Comment

• Aargh
      Aargh commented
      Editing a comment
      I can vouch for the fact that chemo clinics are some of the most depressing things you can experience in your life. Even if you are doing well and getting better, you're surrounded by those who are not having that experience. I can't imagine having to go through that as a child.

• pogo
      pogo commented
      Editing a comment
      I can affirm Aargh's statement about the Chemo clinics. Everyone there fighting and hoping that they will be the survivor but also knowing not all will be.

What a great and kind gesture on the part of those outstanding young men.

Comment

I have long said "you get what you recruit."
      Some choose to prioritize the recruits ability to put the ball in the basket and over look other factors, some of which are not favorable.

HCGM and his staff think differently.

They place a high emphasis on character, morals and ability to represent the program in a positive, dignified manner. They have also stayed away from those who would not mix well with the current roster and possibly become an unwanted distraction.

These gents are just another example of what taking the extra step in recruiting is about and why you "get what you recruit."

In this case, first class individuals who show what truly is much more important than putting a ball through a hoop.

That is all.
      Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Who's chopping the damn onions? That made tears come out of my face. We are blessed to have such quality young men representing our university. Thanks for posting!

Comment

I think Marshall recruits nice kids as part of his recruiting strategy.
          Hodgkins lymphoma is one of the more treatable cancers...complete remission is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockRef View Post
            I have long said "you get what you recruit."
            Some choose to prioritize the recruits ability to put the ball in the basket and over look other factors, some of which are not favorable.

HCGM and his staff think differently.

They place a high emphasis on character, morals and ability to represent the program in a positive, dignified manner. They have also stayed away from those who would not mix well with the current roster and possibly become an unwanted distraction.

These gents are just another example of what taking the extra step in recruiting is about and why you "get what you recruit."

In this case, first class individuals who show what truly is much more important than putting a ball through a hoop.

That is all.
            Don't think for a minute that this is limited to men's basketball. I think you will find that WSU has great character pretty much throughout all of its athletic programs and that there are many instances of community service and involvement that we never even hear about. Men's basketball is the most likely to receive an occassional mention in the media because they are our glamour sport and by far the most popular sport. That doesn't diminish the involvement of our other student athletes who operate much more anonymously. Just another aspect of these young people being winners, not only on the field of play, but in life. I'm sure we recruit the occasional person that doesn't fit this mold, but overall our coaches do a great job of recruiting talent and character.

Comment

Super cool story! AR is rapidly becoming my favorite Shocker of all time. I didn't think anyone could ever pass Kyle Wilson or Ron Baker for me...but it's happening!

Comment

"Yes, Sir"
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

This is great news as we here on SN can also be praying for this same Girl and her Family. The Lord hears our prayers and never sleeps or slumbers.
                  Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

That made me use a couple of tissues. What fine young men to bring a little fun into her life during a difficult time. So proud of them, and prayers for her recovery.

Comment

Dammit. I thought these guys wouldn’t make me cry until senior day. Prayers up!!
                      "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

These are the types of threads and positive news that deserve our undivided attention. After the game, KWCH also showed Maddy Rodell cheering with our players and having a fun time, even in the midst of her daily battles. May God bless, comfort, and heal Maddy Rodell totally. This was a very thoughtful and classy thing our Players did and we here on SN are very proud of them and our Program.
                        Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Working...
                        X