Assistant Coach Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IndyTreeFan View Post

Total, just about $300K. We need our BASE to get to $400K, and then we can incentivize to make a very nice package for good seasons.

The AD is a good guy who realizes that the future of our athletic department rests with men’s b-ball. We’ll see if he can move the budget needle.

He has has talked about the Wichita State model, so he sees what you all have done since about 2000...
    The WSU model was to take a risk on an up and comer to turn us around (Mark Turgeon) then to hire the absolute best coach in the nation in a one bid league for 750K. Then keep paying him slightly above market value.

At this time, need to be able to fork over $1M to Forbes or Jans (or equivalent), at least by year 2.
    Livin the dream

Comment

• Dan
      Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      Right, hiring the right coach is only the start. You have to be able to retain the coach, otherwise you are in constant rebuild mode.

The Valley was actually much better when it was a stepping stone for coaches. We used to think that if some programs could just hold on to their coaches it would improve basketball in the league. Now, schools have no trouble holding on to their coaches. What they have trouble with is coming up with the money to buy them out.

Maybe the Valley was just "lucky" for a while and getting some very good coaches passing through the league. The current crop of coaches seems to be typical of what causes the bad image for "mid majors". A good year or two followed by an absolute tank job and then a gradual rise back up, but nothing consistently good, or even decent. Not many coaches in the Valley seem to be candidates for getting poached by a better program. There's a reason for that and that reason is not a good thing for Valley fans.
    Last edited by Aargh; February 21, 2018, 10:33 AM.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

You guys are a very conversational group! I appreciate your thoughts as I go about my (admittedly odd) hobby. Good stuff in here. Not much that is wrong in this thread.

Comment

Drake managed to get Medved for $400k and he was absolutely owning at Furman. No reason Indiana State can’t find the next Medved.

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
          Drake managed to get Medved for $400k and he was absolutely owning at Furman. No reason Indiana State can’t find the next Medved.
          When Mercedes moves on in a year or two, Drake needs to find that $750K coach that will stick around for at least three more years. Otherwise it’s back to mediocrity.
          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

When Mercedes moves on in a year or two, Drake needs to find that $750K coach that will stick around for at least three more years. Otherwise it’s back to mediocrity.
            Meh. If they're starting at 400k I think they can eventually add a few hundred more thousand to their base, maybe that would be enough to keep Medved around for a few more years. Starting at $750k and failing will kill the program for at least a decade, probably longer. Their only option is to keep trying to find good coaches and eventually land someone who falls in love with Drake and Des Moines. They're never gonna become Wichita State or Gonzaga but they can still find some success here and there.

Comment

I heard Rick Pitino might be available. He's independently wealthy and doesn't need the money, so that shouldn't be an issue.
            Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Cdizzle
              Cdizzle commented
              Editing a comment
              Need and want are different things. Just ask Adidas.

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
            I heard Rick Pitino might be available. He's independently wealthy and doesn't need the money, so that shouldn't be an issue.
            On the list he goes!!! Rules? We don’t need no stinkin’ rules!!!

Comment

Working...
            X