No announcement yet.

Official #19 WSU vs #5 Cincinnati Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ShockerPrez wins this thread. So many great posts.

2nd place goes to everyone giving the PBP on the booing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slykryck View Post

Just watched the presser. Maybe I just haven’t heard it from HCGM(we haven’t loss much in the last few years), but the way Cronin publicly called out and blamed individuals for the loss seemed unnecessary. Maybe he’s just a terrible communicator, but he seemed like a complete ***hole.
      I haven't listened to it, but maybe he needs to look at himself. Just before our inbounds to Reaves, he moves his defender from in back of AR to in front of him. As soon as the play start, Austin heads to the other end with his defender getting slowed a bit having to go around our screen and he never does catch Austin. Game, set, and match.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

I haven't listened to it, but maybe he needs to look at himself. Just before our inbounds to Reaves, he moves his defender from in back of AR to in front of him. As soon as the play start, Austin heads to the other end with his defender getting slowed a bit having to go around our screen and he never does catch Austin. Game, set, and match.
        Funny you mention that play, because Cronin threw an unnamed player under the bus for that one. Cronin says he drew up exactly what we were going to do during the timeout. The plan was to bait us into into throwing the pass and then getting the steal. A player, that Cronin knows but didn’t want to name, screwed it up.

Comment

• shockrah
          shockrah commented
          Editing a comment
          BOOOOOOOOOO!

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

He bus tosses a player over the home run play at the end. Says they drew the play up exactly in the timeout and that player still allowed it to happen. Then says he doesn’t want to mention names, as if we can’t watch the film.

HCGM is a fiery guy and can even come off as arrogant at times. I understand why fans of opposing teams often don’t like him. But I would have a hard time playing for a coach like Cronin who tosses his players under the bus while talking about humility.

Comment

• Congrats on beating a Cincy program I loathe. Enjoy your inaugural AAC title run and 3-4 NCAA seed while simultaneously enjoying the annual February Creighton Collapse and Drake team with little talent taking it to the MVC.

Comment

• What's the ruling on calling a foul on WSU directly after "warning" Cronin, directly after "warning" the crowd for throwing school-provided projectiles on the court?

Seems like they mostly got what they wanted out of you Teddy; you disliked what they were doing so much, you called a foul on the other team.

Comment

• shockrah
              shockrah commented
              Editing a comment
              And they probably boo'd that, as well.
              Last edited by shockrah; February 19, 2018, 02:21 AM.

• Big win, guys. I'm sure I don't have to tell you that, but they found a way to get it done despite frittering away several double-digit leads. Is it too much to ask 3G to call at timeout when the opposition has rattled off 8-straight and is killing us with the press? Asking for a friend.

Comment

• im4wsu
              im4wsu commented
              Editing a comment
              Sure was nice and convenient to have timeouts remaining (unlike Cronin or Temple coach) to survive the final minute, though.
              Did all of our timeouts save a turnover?

• Rlh04d
              Rlh04d commented
              Editing a comment
              We had timeouts at the end necessary to give us extra chances at the inbound, including setting up the inbound to AR. Not sure this is a good example for why he should change his strategy, since his strategy is part of why we won.

• proshox
              proshox commented
              Editing a comment
              Because there is an argument to be made the game wouldn’t have been close if timeouts were used earlier.

• I know the Cincinnati fans were annoying with all the booing -- AT ANYTHING. But please, when they come to CKA let's show OUR class by not "paying them back in kind." We have a fan base that is very knowledgeable and well behaved -- AND LOUD. So let's just be loud and classy.

Comment

• shoxilla
              shoxilla commented
              Editing a comment
              I'll be on SN booing my arse off !

• 76 pts in 66 possessions is the 2nd highest rate Cincy has given up all year. Only team to do better was Xavier, and that was on X's home court.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatWhiteBuffalo View Post
              Big win, guys. I'm sure I don't have to tell you that, but they found a way to get it done despite frittering away several double-digit leads. Is it too much to ask 3G to call at timeout when the opposition has rattled off 8-straight and is killing us with the press? Asking for a friend.
              We ended up with 1 timeout in our pocket at the end. Cincinnati had none and thus couldn't call one after their last basket. I'm comfortable with how Gregg managed the game and kept a timeout for any last second situation.
              Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post

We ended up with 1 timeout in our pocket at the end. Cincinnati had none and thus couldn't call one after their last basket. I'm comfortable with how Gregg managed the game and kept a timeout for any last second situation.
                To be fair, those timeouts were not called by the bench. Those were timeouts because a player felt they couldn't get the ball in. All I'm saying is there were too many instances where Cincinnati was allowed to develop and grow momentum during the course of the game. I would like to see 3G minimize some of those runs by the opposition with a TO here and there.

I understand your view and I can appreciate it, but I think just looking at the number of timeouts at the end of the game can be misleading. I don't know. Just my thoughts.

Comment

• Rlh04d
                  Rlh04d commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The players calling timeouts is not an example of something wrong with his strategy -- they are his strategy.

Marshall's one of the best and most successful coaches in the game. I don't understand why anyone feels the need to question something he's done for pretty much his entire career. It's not like he's trying something new here. If we start regressing into a middle of the pack team struggling to get a first weekend appearance in the tourney, maybe then you wonder if it's still working.

• WuDrWu
                  WuDrWu commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You should call in tonight and visit with coach about that.

• Shockm
                  Shockm commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The players having a timeout remaining to call at the end when they can’t pass the ball in is a perfect reason to have at least two timeouts at the end of the game.

• Originally posted by GreatWhiteBuffalo View Post

To be fair, those timeouts were not called by the bench. Those were timeouts because a player felt they couldn't get the ball in. All I'm saying is there were too many instances where Cincinnati was allowed to develop and grow momentum during the course of the game. I would like to see 3G minimize some of those runs by the opposition with a TO here and there.

I understand your view and I can appreciate it, but I think just looking at the number of timeouts at the end of the game can be misleading. I don't know. Just my thoughts.
                If 3G had called two timeouts to "stop runs," there would have been one/two more turnovers and no timeout at the end to strategize.
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Austin had to use a timeout when he fumbled the pass from Shaq. It’s these type of situations where I’m glad we have extra timeouts. We had one remaining which we may have needed had we not been able to get the ball in on that baseball throw. Fortunately, it all worked out this time.

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post

If 3G had called two timeouts to "stop runs," there would have been one/two more turnovers and no timeout at the end to strategize.
                    Not sure he used one in the first half. Since you use it or lose it, I kinda wish he’d use it. By all means, save them in the second half, but I don’t like neglecting the first half timeout.
                    78-65

Comment

• Shockm
                      Shockm commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I’m pretty sure he used a timeout in the first half.

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

Not sure he used one in the first half. Since you use it or lose it, I kinda wish he’d use it. By all means, save them in the second half, but I don’t like neglecting the first half timeout.
                    I agree with this sentiment. I think we actually used our 1st half timeout to save a possession yesterday but if you still have it with 30 seconds to go why not use it to set something up? If every possession is as important as coaches claim then its silly to not use that timeout at the end of the half especially as good as our out of bounds plays tend to be.

The real test for Marshall and run stopper timeouts might be next year with a very young team. I think its reasonable to expect this years team to be able to figure it out most of the time with all the experience we have.
                    Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• Shockm
                      Shockm commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I disagree. You want to save your second half timeouts because players may use one in another tied up ball situation or not getting a ball inbounds situation. In any event, saving two for late game needs when you expect a close outcome can win the game for you.

• WheatShock
                      WheatShock commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I was talking about the 1st half use it or lose it TO. We waste it most games.

• proshox
                      proshox commented
                      Editing a comment
                      When it really counted and HCGM was at his best.... during the final four run he utilized timeouts to stop multiple runs. He knows it works.
                  Working...
                  X