Asbjorn Midtgaard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Topshock View Post
    Well, I think you all know where I stand on this. There is a reason he didn't redshirt and it's not the playing time he isn't getting this year.
    He is our most effective rebounder (percentage wise) and the second best shotblocker per minute played. That's, right now, what he's being asked to do. As for the comparison above to Stutz's first season,
    Stutz AM
    Season 2008-09 2017-18
    School Wichita State Wichita State
    Conf MVC AAC
    G 34 8
    GS 12 0
    MP 424 49
    FG 5.4 4.1
    FGA 11.4 8.2
    FG% 0.471 0.5
    2P 4.9 4.1
    2PA 10.1 8.2
    2P% 0.486 0.5
    3P 0.5 0
    3PA 1.3 0
    3P% 0.357
    FT 2.3 0.8
    FTA 3.3 1.6
    FT% 0.686 0.5
    TRB 8.2 13.9
    AST 0.7 0
    STL 0.5 0.8
    BLK 2 1.6
    TOV 3.4 2.4
    PF 6.1 5.7
    PTS 13.5 9
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Topshock
      Topshock commented
      Editing a comment
      Your quoting stats for a player that has averaged less that 2 minutes per game with those coming against the worst teams we have played and against mop up player at the end of games. Impressive.

But if you want to go down that road. His offensive rating for the year is the worst on the team at 87.9. The next worst has a rating of 101.5.

Curious. How effective do you think Stutz would be on the teams we are fielding now? I'm sure you would agree that we have vastly superior talent now that we did then and that it continues to improve. How effective do you think he would be in this conference? Also need to consider that the game has changed and is continuing to change since Stutz played.

• im4wsu
      im4wsu commented
      Editing a comment
      I can't quote stats for AM playing 20 mintues a game. But eyeball his performance, he catches well, rebounds well, blocks shots and does not take too many (alright, three) bad shots. His turnovers come mainly from big man's disease, bringing the ball down low.

Think back to Stutz. He couldn't catch the ball, wanted to toss up three-pointers and played matador defense.

Stutz turned out better than okay. With that beginning. I just don't find it so difficult to allow for AM to make worthy progress with the even better beginning.

• wufan
      wufan commented
      Editing a comment
      Topshock, Why are you evaluating him if the sample size isn’t large enough? That works both ways.

I just don't see it, he seems too slow to play on this level. Hasn't shown much on offense outside of 5 feet. 10 years ago I would have been more excited about him but the game has changed. Also where are our expectations as a program do we have time to wait on him to develop into a productive player. More than likely I think if we can get a 5th year transfer for next year we will be parting ways with AM.

Comment

The sample size in the stats are so small it makes them hard to use. However in the classic example of you can find a stat to always support your view point, AM's offensive rating is an awful 65 for conference games. Regarding Stutz he would basically be Nurger on this team. His offensive rating would rank 8th on this years team. Still a useful player but not the star he was on the 2012 team.

Comment

I firmly believe 3 years from now we'll look back on threads like this and laugh, as we bid farewell to one of the most popular players of the Gregg Marshall era.

Almost all HS/non-juco bigs - at least the sort us and all other non-blue bloods typically recruit - look like trash their freshman seasons. Miller, Orupke, Stutz, and (emphatically so) Shaq all looked like total crap their first year.

Comment

Ah, Topshock was starting to throw off his wonderful statistic of 30% of all of his posts being about AM -- glad he has another thread to obsessively respond to every single comment in. Based on the ~40 posts he had on AM in the Houston game thread, I wonder if he'll be able to break 50 in this one. Now be a good troll and fail to resist the urge to comment. Make sure you claim other people are obsessed, as your sub-400 posts inch toward 100 on AM alone. Deflection is one of my favorite troll tactics.

I bet 12eagle's clear over 50% of his sub-100 posts being on AM now.

This conversation is managing to be even more boring than it was last time. It's the exact same people making the exact same points with essentially the exact same evidence.
          Last edited by Rlh04d; February 17, 2018, 01:47 PM.
          Originally posted by BleacherReport
          Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Topshock
            Topshock commented
            Editing a comment
            I guess a better stat might be what % of my posts turn out to be accurate.

• Rlh04d
            Rlh04d commented
            Editing a comment
            Considering a fairly large % of your posts have centered around the idea that he won't be on the team next year, we'll find out very soon.

I am just glad GGG has more patience than some of you on this thread... If he didn't have the necessary patience and should we say /foresight/ where would Shaq be now. If you look back at him in his redshirt year at games on the bench it is hard to even recognize him as the same person. I'm sorry AM didn't get that reshirt year but... His demeanor on the bench also had some resemblance to SM back then. :)

Comment

Did't 3G say that AM was giving Shaq all he could handle in practice this week ? I'm not sure how you evaluate a player who only gets mop up minutes and very few of those.

AM is behind some major dudes as far as our center's go. Shaq, DW, and Nurger would all start for most teams.

Topshock your original statement that "we all know how you feel about AM" is what's comical. You are not one of the consistent posters on this board. You may well be an expert....but you haven't earned anyone's respect here on SN.

AM is not a finished product but what a specimen to start with. I think he will be a starter next season and only get better from there.

Comment

Originally posted by moshock View Post

Topshock your original statement that "we all know how you feel about AM" is what's comical. You are not one of the consistent posters on this board. You may well be an expert....but you haven't earned anyone's respect here on SN.
              I believe you're right, mo -- very few of us probably do know where he stands on all of this (although his follow-up comments give us a general idea), because those of us with actual lives don't track such things. And it's likely that fewer still really care where he stands.

Personally, I'm guessing that Midtgaard has plenty of time to develop and that he'll have a chance to continue doing so while at WSU, but I could be wrong; we'll see how it goes. Meanwhile, though, it's fun having him around.

Comment

Only way AM won't play significant minutes is if he accidentally unknowingly kills someone on the basketball court. Please don't even let him suit up for any NAIA, DIV II, or pre-conference silly season games.
                For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
                - said no one ever...

Comment

3G knew going into this season that AM would not play this year. The fact that we are evaluating a player that literally does not play is ridiculous. AM will be fine, and will probably be a very good player his JR and SR seasons.

Comment

I notice several guards popping up in the recruiting forum. That just might be a clue about where any transfers occur, if any do.

Looking at next year's front court, I see a 200 pound guy, a whole bunch of 1st-year guys and a 7', 270 guy. I think the big guy gets some court time.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Someone has way too much time on their hands. the premise is senseless
                      "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

thank you, Dan.
                        "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                          Someone has way too much time on their hands. the premise is senseless
                          Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                          thank you, Dan.
                          Well, hello RDR!

Comment

• Ricardo del Rio
                            Ricardo del Rio commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I was in the Dark Ages. I Saw the Light. I bought a phone.

I believe it was his choice whether or not to red shirt, just as it was for another freshman.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                            1972Shocker commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I'm not sure it is as simple as just asking each player whether or not they want to redshirt. I think 3G and the coaching staff have a lot of input into this decision. And any initial decision that is made may change although the redshirt option is gone once they play in a countable game unless a medical redshirt comes into play.
                        Working...
                        X