Temple rivalry??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temple rivalry??

What is it with WSU and birds? We've always disliked chickenhawks, hated blue jays and now these pesky Owls.. I think Temple would be a fun rivalry.

Temple has been a pretty good program over the years. Can honestly say that I have never met a guy from Philadelphia that I didn't like. Had a great uncle who taught psychology at Oklahoma State...played football for Temple and went up against Jim Thorpe while Thorpe was playing for Carlisle.

Comment

That team is just damn good. Tough, athletic...they finish strong...and they totally deserve an at-large. Me thinks they could beat anybody in the country.
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

I really, really like their coach. Honest to God— seems like a good dude.

Comment

• Shocker Mama
          Shocker Mama commented
          Editing a comment
          And wears a nice shirt.

My father-in-law's fellow aircrew mate & roomie when he was a sensor operator on AC-130s out of Thailand in the Vietnam War was from Philly. My favorite quote from the gentleman from my wedding when referring to our mojitos, "Only a barbarian crushes his mint." He also apparently ruined any Philly cheese steak for my father-in-law who swears that Philly is the only place to get the real deal.
        “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• LoneStar48
          LoneStar48 commented
          Editing a comment
          Those aircrew guys stay close! Could have used Puff's guns on some of those Temple 3 balls last night!

Rivalry can be built from location, dislike or great respect. For me, I've had great respect Temple coming from my admiration of former head coach John Chaney and his teams.

I believe there can be a number of rivalries in the AAC for us. Tulsa, SMU, Memphis, Houston, Cincinnati, Temple and UConn. Much of this coming from the good ol days of the MVC, add some regional interest, and historically strong programs.

Comment

I think the two games with Temple created an instant rivalry. Last night was a beautiful game, and even the first one was a pretty good match to watch.

Comment

With such great young talent they're going to be very good in the seasons ahead

Comment

Sibling rivalry?
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

This is sort of the thing that Shatel was talking about with Creighton. There's no true rivalry heat with any of these teams -- even ones with which we have some history. It's the kind of thing that can only develop over time. I feel no enmity toward any AAC school -- a huge contrast to how I feel about SWOMO and ISUr and their fans and their crappy, muddy little shanty towns full of shoeless, inbred, Funyun-eating yokels with tiny malformed hands pawing their toothless unibrowed women.

Ahhh. That felt good.
                “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Originally posted by Wuzee View Post
                  This is sort of the thing that Shatel was talking about with Creighton. There's no true rivalry heat with any of these teams -- even ones with which we have some history. It's the kind of thing that can only develop over time. I feel no enmity toward any AAC school -- a huge contrast to how I feel about SWOMO and ISUr and their fans and their crappy, muddy little shanty towns full of shoeless, inbred, Funyun-eating yokels with tiny malformed hands pawing their toothless unibrowed women.

Ahhh. That felt good.
                  Tulsa will develop. It wasn’t THAT long ago we were both together in the MVC and had similar dynamics to the WSU-CU heat.

Comment

If anything for right now if seems like Tulsa is missing some mojo in their basketball program.. They still get good coaches and players, but their fan base seems to be missing. It's weird. There's no telling what could happen rivalry wise in the American, anything could happen.

Comment

Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post
                      If anything for right now if seems like Tulsa is missing some mojo in their basketball program.. They still get good coaches and players, but their fan base seems to be missing. It's weird. There's no telling what could happen rivalry wise in the American, anything could happen.
                      As of right now, SMU seems like the natural compliment to what we had in the MVC with CU.

Comment

Temple will be fun to have in the roundhouse, but let’s be real. We hated CU because they thought they were better in every way. We will hate SMoo for the same reason.

Regardless, it’s awesome to have every one of them competing on Devlin court.
                        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Tulsa most likely rival
                          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Working...
                          X