AAC refs or MVC refs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAC refs or MVC refs

There was much consternation about the officials in the MVC each and every year. Has our move to the AAC improved the situation?
    Much Improved
    13.16%
    Minimally Improved
    23.68%
    No substantial change
    44.74%
    Minimally worse
    15.79%
    Much worse
    2.63%
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

I miss Higgins.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

I chose minimally improved. Something I noticed early in conference play is that it seemed the officials would call a couple ticky-tack fouls early in the game to set the tone. After that they would allow for more physical play, but since they called the touch fouls early they could keep the play under control.
      Once a Shocker, Always a Shocker-- RIP Guy Alang-Ntang

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

they allow much more physical play underneath

Comment

So far, I think the AAC refs have done a pretty fair job in being consistent at both ends of the court.

Rather difficult to compare 9 games that the AAC refs have called versus decades upon decades of games called by MVC refs, which perhaps in our minds, may have actually cost us to lose.

Comment

Very physical league. Like we used to play. I don't mind it, but our players need to respond.
            Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

There wasn't a place to vote for "officiating is very poor throughout NCAA basketball" so I didn't vote. I wish officials would call what they actually see as opposed to what they think or assume happened.
              "Long wave the Yellow and the Black..."

Comment

Really miss Higgy. I think we've only seen him once this season.

Could have done without the Zelton Steed crossover, and you should never, EVER have to deal with Zelton and TV Teddy in the same game. I don't care if God himself is the R.

Comment

• shocktown
                  shocktown commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The Zelton was unusually obscure in this game, not TV Teddy.

The call that hasn’t been discussed and aggravated me the most was with 2:51 left in regulation. Shot clock down to 10 and pressure extended in front of Temple bench, Shaq is denying his man the ball at which time coach Dunphy calls for the foul and Mr TV grants it to him. Shaq gives TV that perplexed look and TV gives him a false step and cocks as if he is going to T him up! Pizzed me off, reinforce a bad call with that weak stuff.

I see little difference in the overall accuracy of calls. I see a big difference in how the games are officiated. In the MVC, WSU was the physical team that got fouls called on them at a high rate. In the AAC, the Shox are not one of the more physical teams.

Brown, Kelly, Reaves, Shamet, and Frankamp would probably do better with MVC officiating. Those guys just aren't "bangers" and that's allowed in the AAC. AAC officiating is more like NCAA tourney officiating. I think future Shocker teams will benefit from not having gone through 3 years of MVC officiating before they see how the game is played in the AAC.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• ShockTalk
                  ShockTalk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think Kelly mixes it up pretty good.

Thus far I'm liking the AAC officiating much more. Less ticky-tack fouls...especially down low. A little too wimpy in the MVC for my taste.
                FINAL FOURS:
                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                #3 - Dec. 2017
                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                #2 ~ March 2014
                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                  Thus far I'm liking the AAC officiating much more. Less ticky-tack fouls...especially down low. A little too wimpy in the MVC for my taste.
                  John Higgins just assessed a foul on Shaq for that comment.

Comment

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post

John Higgins just assessed a foul on Shaq for that comment.
                    Lol ....and ShaQ back to the bench.
                    FINAL FOURS:
                    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                    Number of Times Ranked: 157
                    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                    #3 - Dec. 2017
                    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                    #2 ~ March 2014
                    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Working...
                    X