Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll - What's The Highest Level Of BB You Played?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No respect for prison ball. As they say, some people go to Penn State to play ball, some go to Pennsylvania State Penitentiary.

Comment

Wrestled

Comment

Bump - Votes still coming in.
        Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Played Junior High and High School.

On one fine January afternoon whilst in the eighth grade, the mighty John Marshall Thunderbirds (7th & 8th grade teams) headed up to play the Pleasant Valley something-or-others. As was customary in those days, the 7th grade teams played first as the 8th graders looked on. P.V. had a kid on their 7th grade team with full-on 5 o'clock shadow and biceps that would make Kerry R. proud. They also had another lad that was about 6'2" IIRC. Those two alone destroyed our 7th grade team (glad I was in the 8th grade). That 6'2" kid would go on to play at Heights, WSU and the NBA. It was the first time I saw the "Big Dog" compete in a game of basketball. (No, I didn't ask him for his autograph)

WSU intramurals, ah what fun, whether it was against the rough and tumble Kappa Sigs or the fashion conscious Phi Delts.

Henrion Gym on a few weekends with the local youth. The Machine Gun Willis technique was oft employed, if you ever touched the ball, you better shoot it for it may not come your way again.

Hoop-It-Up in the early 90's, downtown Wichita. My fraternity brother (who signed us up) informs me the day of, that he screwed up and registered us in the "A" league. "Oh, and by the way, were playing Ricky Ross and company. " We lost, but not by much. The way the courts were set up on Douglas kept them from spreading us out and blowing by us plus the curbs made for a treacherous baseline.

Does anyone still shoot the turn-around fade away jumper anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by I_Vector_Wu View Post
            Does anyone still shoot the turn-around fade away jumper anymore?
            Yes. But only when my throat is well enough to scream "FADAA."

And also usually only once per game as I seem to not get the ball much after that.

Comment

• Stickboy46
              Stickboy46 commented
              Editing a comment
              Your problem is you should always yell KOBE!!!

Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
            Hmmmmm........a second NBAer.
            Theory A: Big Dog and Cle
            Theory B: Fred and Ron
            Theory C: Maurice Evans has 2 accounts

Comment

• wusphlash
              wusphlash commented
              Editing a comment
              "Good News" always makes me think of Cliff.

As Grandma Klump once said...

"Who there called my name?"

I always thought Good News was the coolest Shocker nickname, so on the spur of the moment more than a decade ago when I discovered ShockerNet I decided to go with it - despite the fact that X is my all-time favorite (hence the avatar).

As for myself, I managed to sit on the bench for 1 year and get on the court for another in the City League and play small college basketball. Had a blast traveling and seeing the country on the road.

Again, great question/poll. For the offseason, I suggest a thread about everybody's favorite City League/McAdams/Boeing Rec Center/etc. stories - it sounds like there might be quite a bit of experience on the board and I always find the anecdotes entertaining. Not to mention that it sounds like many of us might be Wichita players that came up through Biddy and the City League with many familiar names in common.

Peace and Chicken Grease,

Good News

PS - I love the idea of former NBA players (if true) reading the board

PPS - If Cliff is one of those, I'd really prefer to not surrender my account but I could be convinced with proof and an autographed jersey!

PPPS - As much as I love the idea of former players participating, I'm dismayed at the possibility of current players reading the general idiocy that frequently occurs here

PPPPS - Although I think Good News is the best Shocker Basketball nickname, I have to go with James Silas (aka "Captain Late") as the best overall basketball nickname

Comment

Played at Boys and Girls Club. And a lot of street ball. Man I remember getting bloody noses and bruised everywhere but never any fouls. Oh street ball gotta love it.

Comment

Working...
              X