WSU vs UCF Game Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
    SHJ gets a lot of grief on here but he's actually a good outside shooter. He just hasn't realized that his finger roll move in the paint does not work when there are bodies around him. He's got to figure out how to use his body to shield off defenders like Fred used to do. Otherwise, he needs to pull up for a short jumper.
    THIS

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
      SHJ gets a lot of grief on here but he's actually a good outside shooter. He just hasn't realized that his finger roll move in the paint does not work when there are bodies around him. He's got to figure out how to use his body to shield off defenders like Fred used to do. Otherwise, he needs to pull up for a short jumper.
      He hasn't learned to go at the chest of the shot blocker. The defender needs separation so don't give it to him.

I do think SHJ played pretty good defense last night and that was probably what kept him on the floor.
      Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• He also needs to capture the art of the pass more.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Compared some KenPom Defensive efficiency ratings from last year to this year against opponents in the top 100.

Last year we had 11 games against the top 100, with those teams averaging a ranking of 49 and our defensive ranking was 99.2

This year not counting last night we have had 9 games against the top 100 with those team averaging a ranking of 45 and our defensive ranking is 106.5 against them.

Lower is better in this ranking. I think this demonstrates how much poorer our defense has been this year against good teams.

Last night our ranking was 89.7 against a team ranked in the 90's. Thought our "toughness" was much improved last night and the number reflect that. Hopeful we have turned the corner to becoming more like the team we were last year.

Comment

• The intensity on defense was much improved last night. I also noticed Coach Marshall getting really upset every time a UCF player was left open for a three. That was really nice to see as well. Get back to doing everything angry, and we will be that elite team that everyone knows we can be.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              UCF has a team of MEN. Must be something in the water or maybe these were the rejects that couldn't make their National Championship football team. It's not every day we look the slighter team, but last night was certainly one of those times.

That's a good team. Yeah they are a bad shooting team, but they're good enough to win at Bama with Tacko but without Taylor I believe. That's plenty strong.

I also thought Conner was pretty damned good. Had one mistake that I can remember, and a bunch of really heady plays. He and Austin both challenged shooters successfully.

If you're a fan and you're still griping about something, go to ESPN and pull up the UNI ISUr game from a couple nights ago. Then get on your knees and thank a variety of people and entities that we're in this conference now.
              And they wear the uber tight jersey tops to show off their physique. Those were not suburban horse players.
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• WuDrWu
                WuDrWu commented
                Editing a comment
                They were the anti-suburban horse players.

• I saw a lot more energy and effort last night. Hopefully it travels well after this weekend. A couple of things I noticed that I hadn’t seen before (or at least not paid attention to). AC Brown seemed to be up and in 3G’s ear a lot more than I’ve noticed before. I should watch the replay to see if this was really the case, or if I just happened to look at coincidental times. Maybe he’s going to step up as the “leader” of the assistant coaches. Also, Darral was used a lot to help bring the ball up the court against their light pressure, and seemed to do pretty well. Didn’t have to dribble much, but made the right passes at the right times.
              "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• It will be interesting to see how the lineup and last night play affects the starting lineup for next game. I would be tempted to go with the following:

Shamet, Reaves, McDuffie, Willis or Kelly and Shaq

Comment

• Shocktoberfest
                  Shocktoberfest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not bad. But at this point MM has not done nearly enough to be in the starting lineup. I know he will get it going eventually. But there's still plenty of oxidized iron all over that dude.

• Dan
                  Dan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I considered starting Reaves at 3 and Frankamp at 2 but that doesn't give us enough guard substitution. I'll take McDuffie over Brown but ideally I'd have McDuffie at the 4, I just think he's more effective there.

• proshox
                  proshox commented
                  Editing a comment
                  McDuffie is a four. Willis is a five. Reaves can play the three.

• For a couple of our best offensive players struggling, we still put up the 2nd most points on UCF this season. And it didn't feel like it, but it was indeed a 19 point win. It may have been sloppy, but that was a really solid win. If they continue to improve, which I think they will, I like our chances to get back in the race for 1st place.

Comment

• Jamar Howard 4 President
                  Jamar Howard 4 President commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Biggest question is if Cincy will stumble to allow WSU back in. Gonna be tough otherwise.

• I imagine that Duff was on some pre-season lists. It's shocking to see where he is now.

Comment

• Willis had a REALLY good effort game last night. He was all over the place.

Comment

• Sorry if I post to much but here goes again. MM does NOT deserve to start right now nor does ZB.
                    AR with six rebounds and MM zero. Also, we are NOT going to be an "elite" team without CF. He is
                    a quiet leader that just does most things really well and makes his team mates better. Both he and
                    LS do that and they compliment one another so well. I like AR at the small forward which is where
                    I believe he plays / starts next season. RK deserves to start at PF. Doesn't really matter who starts
                    at center. SM played one of his best games last night coming off the bench. DW does some really
                    nice things and some really dumb ones. If he could cut down on the dumb ones, see the court better
                    when he is doubled and pass more he would really be a fantastic asset/player. I know I am being
                    repetitive but SHJ has to learn to use his skills to create more for others. He took one more shot than
                    CF last night in nine less minutes. SHJ has SO much athleticism but he just doesn't get his role yet
                    and I don't trust him with the ball. Also, if you take the Savannah and ASU games away he is shooting 31%
                    from the field and 25% from the perimeter. He needs see the court better and distribute while taking care
                    of the ball.

Comment

• BOBB
                      BOBB commented
                      Editing a comment
                      This is my lineup as well. 4 players that are scoring threats. Landry has to stop the ball on defense and penetrate on offense.

• I like the three gaurd lineup of LS, CF, and AR as it gives WSU more options on the offensive end. As much as ZB is great on defense, he’s a poor offensive player, and other teams know it. With the three guards out there, it not only gives the Shox another shooting threat, but another ball handler.

RK does enough with effort, that he earns his place in the lineup, though if DW can keep up that type of intensity, I’d consider starting him, or at least giving him equal or more minutes (since he is a much bigger scoring threat).

I liked the change up with RN. He always plays tough (he’s also money with that baby hook shot), and Shaq looked great off the bench. SM is obviously the better player, but if they try bringing him in off the bench again and it works, I’d stick with it.

MM is in a funk right now, which is understandable coming in during the middle of a season, not in rhythm, and probably not yet at full strength (not everyone can make it look as easy as Baker did). If he can get back to the level he was last year, he probably moves ZB out of the starting lineup full time. Two things MM must improve on still are ball handling and finishing strong at the rim. That would really make him an even more terrific player and drastically help his chances to make it long term in the NBA.

At full strength and everyone playing to the best of their ability, the best starting lineup would probably be:

LS, CF, MM, DW, SM
                    The Assman

Comment

• pinstripers
                      pinstripers commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Kelly is a better dribbler than Duff. Who would have ever dreamed that?

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Mike and Dave gave ZB the defensive player of the game.
                    Looking at stats, ZB wasn't the best defensive player out there. He didn't have any defensive rebounds, no steals, and no blocks. I don't know how the player he was guarding did.

RK did better. He had 8 defensive rebounds and 1 steal.

I would also add in fouls. If you're picking up fouls, it probably means you got beat by your man, unless it was an offensive foul. In the game RK had 0 fouls and ZB had 2 fouls.

Like I said in another thread, they need to get rid of the defensive player of the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                      I don't know how the player he was guarding did.
                      prolly the only thing that matters in this case

Comment

Working...
                      X