No announcement yet.

Simple FIX to the "One and Done" discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, with 900 or so college basketball teams, that means there are 100,000 or so college players every year. There are only 360 NBA players every year, roughly. There aren't that many players that leave early every year for the nba anyway, so not that many players would be affected.

The better of my is about reimbursing colleges for some factor of the scholarship. After all, the only reason they take younger players is to make more money. It is only fair that they pay for that privilege.

I don't know about you, but I have always enjoyed watching players grow over 4 years of college experience versus practicing for a year or two for a shot at the nba.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar48
      Well, with 900 or so college basketball teams, that means there are 100,000 or so college players every year. There are only 360 NBA players every year, roughly. There aren't that many players that leave early every year for the nba anyway, so not that many players would be affected.

The better of my is about reimbursing colleges for some factor of the scholarship. After all, the only reason they take younger players is to make more money. It is only fair that they pay for that privilege.

I don't know about you, but I have always enjoyed watching players grow over 4 years of college experience versus practicing for a year or two for a shot at the nba.
      I really don't care either way. No school is going to turn down the opportunity to have that type of player on thier team. And if a kid has the opportunity to leave school and make a good living then he should be able to. Losing him doesn't hurt the school financially and could actually help them attract better talent down the road and increase profits and results.

I hate the NBA and haven't been able to sit through a game in a long, long time. But I don't see how doing things like this helps or hurts either side.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

It's an amateur sport that generates BILLIONS of dollars in revenue. It will never be "fixed" in the sense that we would like it to be fixed.

This is not a criticism of any of the posts on this thread, just an observation based on this thread and comments that I have heard Kevin Keitzman make about the NFL "lockout", as well as other discussions I have heard about the state of College Basketball.

On one hand, Keitzman rails against the millionaire football players being in a union, and thinks the owners have no obligation to anyone to open their books or make any concessions at all to the players, yet HE also thinks there should be a salary cap on the players. Of course, I can understand Kevin's point somewhat, since he now owns a much larger share of 810 than he used to, he kinds of likes being they guy who makes the rules...

A lot of discussions like this thread dwell on what is wrong with College Basketball with coaches leaving whenever they want, and what can or shold be done about it. Discussion about the players and their "commitment" to the school they signed an LOI with sometimes take the same tone as Kieitzman. Schools can make all the money they want, coaches can do whatever they want, but for some reason, the players are still expected to conform to the "old rules".

It's a business, not a sport, and it's not going to change. You either accept it or move on to another form of entertainment. Personally, I am just trying to enjoy it for as many more years as I can.
        Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar48

I think 900 teams would have more like 13,500 players, probably not an average of 100+ per team. Doesn't change your point, however.
          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
          ---------------------------------------
          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

How about letting players go straight to the dleague out of high school for a manditory 4 years before they are called up with a set pay of $20,000 per season. If the player chooses the Brandon Jennings route, they must have at least 3 seasons of post high school play and must go to the dleague at least one year before playing for an NBA team. But if they decide to go to college, they can leave for the NBA after three years. If they graduate on time, they get a $1mil bonus.
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
            X