Simple FIX to the "One and Done" discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple FIX to the "One and Done" discuss

OK I have an Idea as to how to fix the one and done in Mens Div 1 basketball.

One simple rule.

Any school that did not have an 80% graduation rate the previous yr on their mens basketball team is not eligible for the NCAA tourney.

First off it's supposed to be about college academics (Student athletes)

Second it will make all schools think twice about recruiting a kid knowing he wont stick around and actually full fill his commitment.

Third each institution will be given 1 waiver for a coaching change, and subsequent player shuffle that comes with it. But this is only 1 waiver every 5 years. hopefully to cut down on coach contract jumping. And the waiver can only be used if there is a head coaching change.

So what do you all think?.... rip it apart
    From the road I listen (Tune In radio) at home I watch ( season Ticks )

I think they'd probably take care to use the correct their before they print the rule. :D

That's the most ripping I'm going to do tonight.
    "Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum."
    -- Lucretius, De Rerum Natura

Comment

Originally posted by JohannSebastianShock
      I think they'd probably take care to use the correct their before they print the rule. :D

That's the most ripping I'm going to do tonight.
      picky picky picky ,, I fixed it ,,, JFY :roll:
      From the road I listen (Tune In radio) at home I watch ( season Ticks )

Comment

In turms of akadimick excellence, don't use no double negatives an learn the diferance butween to, too, two & 2. Also their, they're & there. I mene I'm knot won too pick this stuff apart ore anything, butt this is about learning. Other then that won error I support your ideas.

I did see where Butler ranked ahead of all other FInal Four competitors. Other results are to be released Wednesday.
        Phi Alpha

Comment

I've got a better idea. Let them go right to the pros. Those guys aren't student-athletes, they are athletes. They spend one season on campus auditioning for the NBA. There are no repercussions if they fail all their classes, assuming they actually take classes. Who does it hurt if they go directly from HS to the pros?

--'85.
          Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

College football works as a minor league for the NFL. The NBA seems to work better for younger guys than the NFL, so that comparison isn't apples to apples.

I hate the baseball formula because there are too many levels of minor leagues. 90% of the baseball players drafted and signed have no hope of ever earning what a college degree would get them, but they can't turn down the shot at the paycheck and the fame.

If the NBA would go to one level of NBA-sponsored minor leagues and players had a choice of 4 years of college (maybe 3??) or going pro straight out of HS, that would solve a lot of it. Right now colleges are providing that service to the NBA. An NBA-sponsored minor league would cost the NBA some bucks, so they'd fight it.

As long as the NBA can take players after one year of college, there's not much hope of fixing it.

I can't see how penalizing schools for recruiting at the very top levels would ever work.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

part of the reason they have one and dones is because they eliminated going pro out of high school the year after lebron graduated high school. for every lebron there were 10 korleone young's. if the nba wants to weed out high school phenoms that never develop past play ground ball then they need to force kids to wait even longer than one year. kids arent even eligible for the nfl until they are three years removed from their high school graduation. make them stay in school longer and make them go to class. but then again calipari would have to actually work for his paycheck.

Comment

Sure, I would love to see all graduating HS athletes get a college degree or at least some advanced education past HS. But, this is not going to ever happen. I don't really have a problem with either one-and-done's or a kid going straight from HS to the NBA.

Let's face the fact for once that there are a large number of HS male graduates (athlete or not) who are simply not mature enough nor ready to go directly to college.

Who are we trying to fool? There are a lot of gifted HS athletes out there who are never going to be able to make it through the first year of college, let alone graduate.

Perhaps we should instead look at setting up college programs at the freshman and sophmore ranks including such classes as money management, what to look for in an agent, investment management, etc., and provide something useful to these kids that might help them along the way. And during the year or two they have attended college (and made money for their school), perhaps the school can have provdided them something useful to assist them in managing the millions of bucks they may earn during their future professional careers.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh
                  I hate the baseball formula because there are too many levels of minor leagues. 90% of the baseball players drafted and signed have no hope of ever earning what a college degree would get them, but they can't turn down the shot at the paycheck and the fame.
                  Baseball is by design. Most people drafted in baseball are just there to give the best competition and to provide a rich ground for developement for those player the MLB teams have invested their money in.

Comment

Originally posted by lostshocker
                    http://www.nba.com/dleague/

part of the reason they have one and dones is because they eliminated going pro out of high school the year after lebron graduated high school. for every lebron there were 10 korleone young's. if the nba wants to weed out high school phenoms that never develop past play ground ball then they need to force kids to wait even longer than one year. kids arent even eligible for the nfl until they are three years removed from their high school graduation. make them stay in school longer and make them go to class. but then again calipari would have to actually work for his paycheck.
                    The entire "high school kids can't be drafted anymore" crap was just that, crap.

The NBA doesn't want to risk high draft picks on projectability, at least not everything on that.

The NBA turned the upper echelon of the NCAA into their own little D league, all ready to go with the bright spotlights to analyze their upcoming talent.

If they REALLY cared about the kids, they would let them be drafted and then set aside college money for anyone that wanted it, to go to at least 4 years of top flight education, where ever the athlete wanted to go.

But it isn't about the kids....it's about the risk and the reward....they just want you to think it's about the kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh
                      College football works as a minor league for the NFL. The NBA seems to work better for younger guys than the NFL, so that comparison isn't apples to apples.

If the NBA would go to one level of NBA-sponsored minor leagues and players had a choice of 4 years of college (maybe 3??) or going pro straight out of HS, that would solve a lot of it. Right now colleges are providing that service to the NBA. An NBA-sponsored minor league would cost the NBA some bucks, so they'd fight it.

As long as the NBA can take players after one year of college, there's not much hope of fixing it.

I can't see how penalizing schools for recruiting at the very top levels would ever work.
                      I know this is basketball forum but I got to complain about MLB minor league system as well. They could really get rid of one of thier levels of single A, there is lower and higher A. Let the colleges act as a lower minor league of sorts. Would help college baseball, help MLB in cost/development and would weed more guys out. It would be a win all around. However I think the MLB clubs like signing as many kids as they can, that way when they are weeded out they already have them under contract. Just drives me nuts though, people like Logan Watkins hitting .168 at high A this year after hitting .261 in low A last year. Can't blame him for taking the 400K but geez he would be a junior right now at WSU.

Look at Dirks however, opted to go to Hutch cause he didn't think he was ready for D1 out of high school. Played two years, developed. Came to Wichita State, played two years and made more strides from junior to senior year. Earned his degree, didn't get drafted real high but he progressed every year and is now a big leaguer.

Comment

What if a player leaves early for the NBA, the scholarship held would be considered void for the remaining years its good for? That would force coaches to really consider the player they are getting, but they could get around it by the player walking on. Then the player would have to get another scholarship or pay out of pocket.
                        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                        Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

Re: Simple FIX to the "One and Done" discuss

Originally posted by OTR Shockfan
                          Any school that did not have an 80% graduation rate the previous yr on their mens basketball team is not eligible for the NCAA tourney.
                          So you're Garrett Stutz. About to be a senior phenom with your breakout year. However, two freshman decide to drop out of school (not go to the NBA mind you -- just drop out) and you and the coach can't do anything about it.

So all the time that Garrett spent learning over the prior three years is now worthless? He's getting punished because of what two freshman are doing that nobody can control? IMO - not the solution.
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Seems like every year I get mad at some team for having a bunch of one or two and dones, meaning 1 or 2 years out of HS, not juco.

Why not have a separate ncaa division for players that plan on leaving early for the nba. They would get scholarships just like the 4 year guys, and the nba would pick up the added expense of another league. The winner of that division would then play the winner of March Madness for the king of the world trophy.

We would get the true athlete/scholar playing in the regular league, and for those that like the nba, there would be the other league with the prospects. Just to make sure none of the 4 year guys left early, the nba would sign a contract with the ncaa paying 4 times the amount of the scholarship should a kid leave early from the 4 year division.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar48
                              Seems like every year I get mad at some team for having a bunch of one or two and dones, meaning 1 or 2 years out of HS, not juco.

Why not have a separate ncaa division for players that plan on leaving early for the nba. They would get scholarships just like the 4 year guys, and the nba would pick up the added expense of another league. The winner of that division would then play the winner of March Madness for the king of the world trophy.

We would get the true athlete/scholar playing in the regular league, and for those that like the nba, there would be the other league with the prospects. Just to make sure none of the 4 year guys left early, the nba would sign a contract with the ncaa paying 4 times the amount of the scholarship should a kid leave early from the 4 year division.
                              Then any kid with an outside shot or dream of the NBA is probably going to play in your other league. We'd have no shot at landing a kid like Perry Ellis who may not stay all four years.

Personally, I don't see a problem with the one and dones. Having a bunch of them only makes things more difficult from a chemistry perspective for those schools but I don't see them ruining the game. And for every one and done player that schools like KU, UNC, UK, Memphis or the like sign frees up one more good player to go elsewhere and that will trickle down to some degree. Yes, it also means that they have a number of open scholarships each year but there's no harm. The bigger effect on the recruiting landscape is when they took away the 5/8 rule. That rule would have more effect on those schools that take a bunch of one or two year players than anything else.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                              X