WSU Versus Houston Predictions and Pregame Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU Versus Houston Predictions and Pregame Discussions

Houston, we both had problems tonight. Our beloved Shocks lose a rare home game and Houston loses on the road to Tulane 81-72. Thus, Houston will have the eye of the Cougar and the Shocks through the years rarely lose two in a row. With that said, Houston is 8-0 at home this Season, so life on the cold and lonely road in the AAC is not without its share of tough challenges. Here in Wichita, we beat Houston 81-63 and that could have been even more lopsided. Rob Gray only scored 13 which is rare. In that game, LS scored 18 in 22 minutes and Frankamp had 15 points. Houston is now 4-2 and 14-4 overall. They are coached by Kelvin Sampson who was quite complimentary of WSU and believed Landry may be NBA bound sooner than later. Shaq had 14 points and 6 rebounds in 20 minutes in the Wichita win, so we need more of that. We also scored 20 points in the paint to Houston's 10 points.

It has been well chronicled on SN about the sluggish slow starts and how they could come back to haunt us. While I was not expecting that to occur at home tonight, SMU shot the lights out. Two issues tonight were our offense and our defense. On offense, we missed way too many 3's and on defense we could not slow Shake to a mild roar as he had a career night of 33 points. When we smothered him, he also answered with 5 assists. Houston plays far better at home and will want to avenge the loss here. Houston is the only team to out-rebound us this Season, but only by 1.

So what does it all mean? Dunno, but I predict Coach Marshall might make a few changes on the starting line-up? Maybe, but maybe not. What might Coach do to spark these slow starts we have been having? He may start Duff in place of Z. Brown although he still thinks MM is trying to force things a little too much as he gets back in the groove. Another possibility would be Willis for Kelly? Not sure about that either and I like both of them. Against Houston, Brown led our team with 7 rebounds and 5 assists. Duff had 11 points in only 13 minutes. In that game, we had only 8 turnovers while Houston had 15. That is Shocker basketball, but we are not seeing that advantage this Season as much as we like and are accustomed to. We win by a 3-pointer at the buzzer.

Beloved Shocks---77

Houston-------------74

Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Couple of grumpy teams and grumpy coaches squaring off Saturday morning in an arena neither really wants to play in.

Guy V. 78
    Ralph H. 85

Comment

70 to 68 Shoxs
      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Defense has to improve. This team is really an anomaly to the 3G tenure.

Comment

Both teams are pissed and Houston is gonna want revenge on us de-pantsing them at our place. All I know is I'm positive we won't win by 30 again. This will be another dog fight. We're gonna have to get used to this, because Toto, we're not in the Valley anymore.

Uh...
          Shockers - 78
          Cougs - 77
          I guess?

At least the games are exciting again!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
            Both teams are pissed and Houston is gonna want revenge on us de-pantsing them at our place. All I know is I'm positive we won't win by 30 again. This will be another dog fight. We're gonna have to get used to this, because Toto, we're not in the Valley anymore.

Uh...
            Shockers - 78
            Cougs - 77
            I guess?

At least the games are exciting again!
            Great point. The early schedule certainly didn't help fans to not get our hopes too high. This will be a nice stretch of competitive games for our guys. Should be better for it in the long run.

Comment

We need to trounce these fools. But we won't until our defense improves. I'm not anticipating an improvement in our defense over the next two days.

Barring our guards having another open 3 point contest, we win by 4.

Comment

Since Houston does shoot 3's well (39.7%) 30th best in NCAA and 36.1% in conference which is 4th. Unless we make some improvements to our defense, I don't see us winning. We call this the floor of the season.

78-74 Cougars.

Comment

Our passing has been atrocious for several games. Soft and careless. Need Brown and Markis to pick up their games.

Shocks by 1, maybe.

Comment

The Cougs will want revenge obviously. Not only for the pasting we gave them, but watching the game, you can tell they were upset at the perceived 'home cooking' on the calls we were getting. They had 24 fouls compared to our 16. The word is out, zone us to death and you have a chance to win. The Shox have played like dog crap the last two games and regrettably, I do not sense a sudden and immediate 180 on their part. It will be gradual but not soon enough. We lose by 7. Calling a 71-78 loss.

Comment

I think most of our problems are focus oriented right now. I can't imagine we lack focus after last night. Unfortunately, Houston just lost to Tulane, so I imagine they will be focused too. I predict the loser finishes no higher than second in the conference. A pickem and a dogfight.
                      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Line opens at WSU -2.

Comment

Checkered towel less
                          Gold towel more

Big picture everything is good.

Comment

Shox by 40
                            For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
                            - said no one ever...

Comment

I just have a bad feeling about this game. Line invites WSU play and I always want to be on the
                              side of the books. Chemistry / defense just isn't in sync right now. I think we right the ship after
                              this game but lose this one 83-80 in OT for the low point of our season. Hope I have crow for
                              supper.

Comment

Working...
                              X