WSU Versus SMU Predictions and Pregame Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU Versus SMU Predictions and Pregame Discussions

Here's the deal. There is no place like home as the Shocks win 2 nice road wins on the cold, lonely, and unpredictable road. The Mustangs need to understand what happens here at CKA. Beware SMU of a stingy Shocker D-fence that creates more slippery slopes than black ice with stripes of yellow, black, and white. Next, there can be sightings of angry, ravenous, hyena action on the hardwood that protects our 21st and Hillside fort. Please bring ear plugs as our loyal fans create earsplitting decibel levels that has the appearance of blowing off the roof to smithereens. Last but not least, the Shocks home winning streaks are so high and often that the Big Boys that don't play in our Conference avoid coming here as would a flower child avoid the barber shop.

Too bad Larry Brown didn't get to come back here because we enjoyed him while at KU on his visit with Danny and the Miracles. Enter another familiar foe from our Redbird playing days named Tim Jankovich who is the SMU coach. Shake (Rattle and Roll) Milton is a top 5 player in this here AAC and averages over 17 points a game Ben Emelogu leads the AAC in 3-point pct. at around .589 and their team 3-point% is very similar to our beloved Shocks which leads the AAC. Jimmy Whitt is 4th in in assist/turnover ratio in the AAC. These stats were compiled from the Official AAC site. Lindy's picks SMU 3rd, Athlon 4th, and Street & Smith 5th. The Mustangs come in here at 2-3 and 12-6 with 3 losses in a row to Tulane, Cin. and Temple.

What about them Shocks? How about 5-0 in the AAC and 15-2 overall. It is possible we could rise slightly in the polls but we can't keep coming out of the starting blocks lethargic and not executing. The better the competition, the more such patterns could burn us downstream. Even so, these Shocks show resilience and get down in the trenches and find ways to win. Do we have Senior leadership? Check! Is our team D. improving since that helps win Championships? Check!!! Do we have substantial guard play because great teams have great guards. Yes, and it showed down the stretch versus our win in Tulsa tonight. Do we have go to players when the game is on the line? Check, and it could be so many various players led by our tripod foundation of LS, Shaq, and Duff. Do we have depth and a bench? Check, one of the best in the Country. Do we have team Chemistry and share the rock? Check, our team assists are off the charts. But do they clean glass? Check, and make that sparkly clean ranked sky high in the Country.

So what does it all mean? Checkmate!!!!!!! Coach Marshall is an elite Coach and everybody knows it. He won't allow all the ink and National attention to short-circuit our business we still have coming down the pike soon on the front-burners. The Shocks busy schedule is getting hot and heavy and engaged now as they grind forward with focus and positive motivation. I believe on paper we are as good as mentioned above and worthy of 5th in the Nation. However, it all comes down to fruition on the hardwood. The Shocks are on our foes "Most Wanted To Defeat List" so our gunslingers must tame Mustangs, Cougars, Owls, Bearcats, etc. one by one. #11 LS will lead us with 22 points while Shaq has a double/double, and MM does a 'stat stocking stuffing' on both sides of the court. Shocks win!!! Shocks win by 14.

Shockers--- 86

Mustangs-- 72
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

In Conference play, SMU leads all teams with 50 steals in 5 games and has a 3.4 turnover margin. The Shocks will expend lots of attention on Shake.

Last night, I like it that we had 42 rebounds to only 30 for Tulsa. However, I really was not expecting them to outscore us in the paint 30-24. Their zone worked well until we finally started making some outside shots.We only had 12 assists which is low for us. Both teams were similar in overall assists and turnovers and we made 9 more throws than them which really helped. CF and Shaq led us with 2 blocks apiece. Our three scoring leaders were LS and CF with 16 and Duff just missed a double/double with 10 points and 9 boards.

In the SMU game, look for our shooting to be better and I hope much better. Hopefully we can establish our inside game much better than last night. We need Shaq and Willis to be more productive. Nurger had a nice game most of the time and Willis didn't really play all that many minutes and Kelly will have better games than yesterday often. We played well for maybe 20-25 minutes in a 40 minute game IMO but I'm happy we scratched out 2 road game wins which always helps.
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

We smoked these dudes in Randy's first game as HC, 62-44, as new life was breathed into the program for the time being. That was a fun moment and IIRC an alley-oop from near mid-court to Darrin Williams just about brought the house down.

Fast forward a couple decades and things have changed a lot, other than SMU being saddled with a mediocre coach.

James Bunch 84
      Jemeil Rich 71

Comment

Listening to the locker room show after the game I was surprised that Lutz hadn't realized that the Shockers had beaten SMU in 1965 in the first round NCAA game and on the way to the final four. They both said that it must have been a misprint in the media guide.

Comment

• ShockingButTrue
          ShockingButTrue commented
          Editing a comment
          Lootz is a little more knowledgeable on Chickenhawk history... More telling was the fact he claimed it was a "misprint."

It just adds a little nuance to the Boob we all know.

Blitz - 88
        Krieged - 69
        For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
        - said no one ever...

Comment

SMU.pngSMU.png
          Last edited by im4wsu; January 15, 2018, 08:51 AM.
          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
          ---------------------------------------
          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• shockrah
            shockrah commented
            Editing a comment
            I appreciate the post, is there a way you can make it so we can click it and read it?

Shake - 68
          Shaq - 78

( AKA an overpriced and unremarkable burger joint)

Comment

Shocks by one :good:

Comment

Back home, better rested, Shocks by 11.
              "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

I predict CF commits a TO but hits four threes, the Shocks win the boards by 8, SM gets
                more than one rebound, RN plays 15-18 solid minutes, Jones has a couple nice drives with
                finishes, AR takes a charge, RK has a block and 7-8 rebounds, nine players play more than
                five minutes each and LS guides us to a tough seven point 77-70 win

Comment

Close 1st half with the lead bouncing back and forth. But midway through the 3rd, the Shocks pull out by 15 and win by 17.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
                    Close 1st half with the lead bouncing back and forth. But midway through the 3rd, the Shocks pull out by 15 and win by 17.
                    A 61-yard catch-and-run touchdown will give the Shox a 5 point win as the clock runs out in the 4th.

Comment

I think we win Wednesday, but I am really worried about Saturday

Comment

This is a critical week in my opinion. We get through this week unscathed and we have a very good chance to arrive in Cincinnati undefeated in conference.

Comment

I thought SMU would be the clear #3 in our conference before the season started. They haven't looked so hot the past couple weeks now. They've lost 3 in a row, and now having to come to our house, I'm guessing it will be 4 in a row.

Shockers - 82
                          Smoo - 70

Comment

Working...
                          X