Another Game Production Observation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Game Production Observation

Well, I ventured into the den of cheats and thieves Tuesday night, as a high school classmate (and KU alum and diehard Jayhawk fan, I mean he goes to football games for pete's sake) couldn't go to the KU-TT game and gave me his tickets. ShockBand Jr. and I went up, and though we both felt like we needed to take showers afterwards, I will say this...

They don't let promos and all that interrupt the crowd at timeouts. I don't recall any promos during timeouts, and either the band was playing (alumni band Tuesday night to be specific) or they were pumping music through the PA, which was LOUD and CLEAR, and the crowd was trying their best to pump up the team.

For the love of all that is holy, that is all I want at home games during timeouts. Have the pep band play to get it going, and then supplement with LOUD and CLEAR PA music if needed. And then let the crowd make the place shake. We have the technology, it can be done...
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

I have been to probably a dozen road arenas and trust me when I tell you that no one manages to screw up game production like Wichita State.

Comment

And why our crowd doesn't respond better to Seven Nation Army baffles me. Of all places, we absolutely should go nuts. I mean the lyrics reference Wichita specifically! I mean geez...
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

When Texas football money starts paying our athletic department bills I'm guessing we'll see a decrease of in-game promotions.

Comment

• proshox
          proshox commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't buy this argument or line of thinking.. Sponsors want the name recognition, tickets, and association. I am sure many would be happy with alternative time out sponsorships...

For instance - Sponsor's name on the video board as the sponsors of the Best Home Court Atmosphere in College Basketball.

• SHOCKvalue
          SHOCKvalue commented
          Editing a comment
          I don’t completely disagree, but when you notice the size and scope of the businesses who have the means to sponsor the time out promos it doesn’t take a forensic CPA with the FBI to figure out WSU is probably not making that much from these energy killers. Some of them are Mom n’ Pop operations.

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
        And why our crowd doesn't respond better to Seven Nation Army baffles me. Of all places, we absolutely should go nuts. I mean the lyrics reference Wichita specifically! I mean geez...
        Because 75% of the fans are too old to know what the hell it is and 15% of the fans are too young to know/care what it is. Play "Wichita Lineman" or some Drake. Game production does suck it, btw.
        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
          When Texas football money starts paying our athletic department bills I'm guessing we'll see a decrease of in-game promotions.
          I’ve been to games at non-P5 venues before and they don’t seem to have a problem without the Texas football money.

WSU has one of the best fanbases in the nation, coupled with the worst game production in the nation. It sucks to waste a fanbase and building like this.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Cdizzle
            Cdizzle commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't deny there are serious problems with the production that could be resolved even within the constraints of the budget. It annoys me constantly. But I don't like seeing the other side of the coin ignored, either.

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I’ve been to games at non-P5 venues before and they don’t seem to have a problem without the Texas football money.

WSU has one of the best fanbases in the nation, coupled with the worst game production in the nation. It sucks to waste a fanbase and building like this.
          Non-P5 programs that spend $8 million on their basketball program? Those kind of programs can be counted on one hand, or actually just a few fingers...
          "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• proshox
            proshox commented
            Editing a comment
            Do you think the sponsors paying big money care about being associated with a free throw contest? I seriously doubt it... there are other ways to involve sponsor and still get the $$$

• SHOCKvalue
            SHOCKvalue commented
            Editing a comment
            Not trying to fact you or anything, but I think you’re forgetting that non-P5 includes not just us and our conference, but the BE, MWC, and the A10 (the latter of which has a couple).

• Rocky Mountain Shock
            Rocky Mountain Shock commented
            Editing a comment
            I think you can exclude the BE from this conversation. Yes, they're not technically P5, but they're currently getting a crap load more TV money than we're getting right now. My point is we need to compare apples to apples, and there are just a few programs in this country that shell out the coin we do without a war chest of TV money.

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

Non-P5 programs that spend $8 million on their basketball program? Those kind of programs can be counted on one hand, or actually just a few fingers...
          I’m assuming they’re getting a decent amout of spotting or they wouldn’t be spending 8 mil in the first place.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

FC Bayern Munich and a crap-ton of English futbol clubs get it!
            Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

What is the Seven Nation Army?
              Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

• SHOCKvalue
                SHOCKvalue commented
                Editing a comment
                Song by The White Stripes.

“I’m goin’ to Wichita...”

I’m sure you’ve heard it. Was used as our intro video music a couple years back.

• pinstripers
                pinstripers commented
                Editing a comment
                never heard it

• WuShock16
                WuShock16 commented
                Editing a comment
                No. 11 Shockers vs No. 10 Panthers Saturday, February 28 @ 1pm on ESPN. ‪#‎WATCHUS‬

Hype video from UNI College Gameday game in 2015. This same audio was used for the intro video the next season...though I can't seem to find a video of that.

- The plinko game was moved to halftime. That's good.
              - The half-court - push-up promotion for the gym place is ridiculous. That place should be boycotted by all Shocker fans.
              - Kids dunking has run its course. Btw, hey cheerleaders, tell the kids what they are supposed to do.
              - All the shooting promos should be moved to halftime. They're boring and kill any high-intensity mood or momentum. Maybe one for a big legit prize is ok, but that's it.
              - Can someone please sit down with the game producer/director and the band director and figure out how to BE READY when the opponent calls timeout because the Shockers have gone on a run or forced a timeout due to good defense? We were able to do this in HIGH SCHOOL. It isn't hard.
              - A Merrill Teller weather report or any other video advertising with excessive dialog is useless and impractical. It sucks ALL the life out of the arena and is difficult to understand in many parts of the seating area. Did I mention - IT SUCKS THE LIFE OUT OF THE ARENA.

Some people from marketing/game production need to go on a field trip to KU, OU, etc. and watch how they do it. The timeouts can enhance the overall experience A LOT.

**One more thing ... when going on the field trip, watch how other programs use the huge video boards on the scoreboard ... flashy LOUD video hype is COOL and can really energize the place. Does WSU have Marketing and/or Media departments? Hello? Bueller?
              Last edited by Shocker85; January 5, 2018, 10:28 AM.
              Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

I obviously hope to not experience this again for a really, really long time because it would mean not being in the NCAA Tournament...but NIT games were awesome because promotional contests/games/etc during timeouts were not allowed. When Florida State or Nebraska or College of Charleston called (what I like to call) "Oh $#!+" timeouts, the crowd continued to roar for the entire duration of the timeout. It's even more tricky now since team timeouts can be converted into the normally-scheduled media timeouts.

Hell, if I was an opposing squad, I would include that in the scouting report for games in Wichita. Wait to use timeouts when they can be converted into the full timeout so that the upcoming lame promotional contest will suck the life out of the building, making the timeout more effective.
                78-65

Comment

Working...
                X