Moving Forward and AAC Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Forward and AAC Play

Do you guys think the lack of height and possibly some quickness at the 2 guard spot (Conner) is a detriment to our perimeter defense? As to say...we got a 6'-5" point guard in Shament but when he plays alongside with Conner our height may be causing some of these unbelievably shooting nights from our opponents.

With that in mind...and with McDuffie coming back...do we start him at the 3 spot...Brown at the 2 ..Shament at the 1...Kelly at the 4 and Big ShaQ at the 5??? Perhaps that could help some of our defensive woes on the perimeter to start the game and shut the opposition down from going nuts on the 3 ball..

Then of course have Conner and Willis first ones off the bench.

Wonder what Coach will do once Duff gets his legs back?

However we slice it...it will be a nice problem to have getting McDuffie back that's fer sure.
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

I am in the camp that Connor is not a bad defender. His only drawback defensively is being a little
    slow defending a quicker guard that likes to drive BUT it seems ALL of our guards struggle with
    the same thing. Connor has good court sense and that carries over to his defense and his ability
    to anticipate. His BBIQ is very high and he just takes such good care of the ball. Don't care what his
    shooting stats are right now he is still the best perimeter shooter on the team. Bottom line he starts,
    plays significant minutes, and I wish he would create and shoot more. The biggest question is with
    MM's minutes growing to twenty a game where do they come from? Like last year I think he will
    play both small forward and big stretch forward. I can see some minutes coming from SM as DW
    plays a few more at center, in fact, DW could start there consistently with MM and ZB. Hopefully
    this motivates SM although it hasn't yet. So, a few minutes from SM, a few from ZB, a couple from RN,
    and a few from DW. Unless SM gets better consistently I see a DW, MM,, ZB, CF and LS starting
    line up. I think the CJ experiment is about over as we have four solid guards and MM coming back
    to spell ZB when needed. AR also playing some minutes at the small forward if more shooting
    is needed at the other wing.

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
      I am in the camp that Connor is a good defender.
      I agree and I FIFY.

I don't think the height or the personnel is the problem. Freddy was 5'10 (lets be honest), and Ron was 6'5. Kel' was 6'2 after a quick google. That perimeter could D it up.

I honestly think Gregg is going to continue giving ZB minutes. MM will be a slow come back. I think MM slowly eats at ZB minutes.

CF is starting, IMO. Always. Scorer with MTXE.

Comment

Defense Raw Rank 2016-Raw 2016 Rank
        FG%-D 39 29 37.8 5
        3fg%-D 33 102 31.2 19
        2FG%-D 43.6 36 42 7
        FT%-D 73.7 284 69.8 135
        OREB-D 7.2 101 6.5 61
        REB-D 27.3 79 26.8 107
        ASST-D 10.8 77 10.1 52
        STL-D 6.3 222 5.1 134
        BLK-D 3.8 270 3.2 245
        TO-D 11.8 134 12.6 295
        PF-D 20.2 275 20.4 340

Our numbers are, not surprisingly, down in every category but the last two.
        To me, giving up better shooting percentages is the result of giving better looks at the basket. Same with assists for wide open looks. IMHO, it is the result of less pressure on the ball, allowing the opponent to drive (or otherwise require help defense) and the helping/collapsing defense allows for assists to better selection of shots and poorer rebounding position because our bigs have left the man they're blocking out.
        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
        ---------------------------------------
        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
          Do you guys think the lack of height and possibly some quickness at the 2 guard spot (Conner) is a detriment to our perimeter defense? As to say...we got a 6'-5" point guard in Shament but when he plays alongside with Conner our height may be causing some of these unbelievably shooting nights from our opponents.

With that in mind...and with McDuffie coming back...do we start him at the 3 spot...Brown at the 2 ..Shament at the 1...Kelly at the 4 and Big ShaQ at the 5??? Perhaps that could help some of our defensive woes on the perimeter to start the game and shut the opposition down from going nuts on the 3 ball..

Then of course have Conner and Willis first ones off the bench.

Wonder what Coach will do once Duff gets his legs back?

However we slice it...it will be a nice problem to have getting McDuffie back that's fer sure.
          You are solving a problem that doesn’t exist. Oh and you are creating a bigger problem for our offense.

This team is showing that it plays much better with three guards not one guard.

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
            I am in the camp that Connor is not a bad defender. His only drawback defensively is being a little
            slow defending a quicker guard that likes to drive BUT it seems ALL of our guards struggle with
            the same thing. Connor has good court sense and that carries over to his defense and his ability
            to anticipate. His BBIQ is very high and he just takes such good care of the ball. Don't care what his
            shooting stats are right now he is still the best perimeter shooter on the team. Bottom line he starts,
            plays significant minutes, and I wish he would create and shoot more. The biggest question is with
            MM's minutes growing to twenty a game where do they come from? Like last year I think he will
            play both small forward and big stretch forward. I can see some minutes coming from SM as DW
            plays a few more at center, in fact, DW could start there consistently with MM and ZB. Hopefully
            this motivates SM although it hasn't yet. So, a few minutes from SM, a few from ZB, a couple from RN,
            and a few from DW. Unless SM gets better consistently I see a DW, MM,, ZB, CF and LS starting
            line up. I think the CJ experiment is about over as we have four solid guards and MM coming back
            to spell ZB when needed. AR also playing some minutes at the small forward if more shooting
            is needed at the other wing.
            I agree with your comments about Conner's defense.
            I have a difficult time declaring Conner the best perimeter shooter on the team -- Landry has matched Conner every year, has a career 44.9% compared to Conner's 38.7% and is 50% to 36.5% this year. Has a fast, clean release, too -- Austin is a career 48% to Conner's 38.7% (with a season best of 44%). Granted he does not create his own shot and takes mainly open catch and shoots. He need to be a bit less reluctant to shoot, though.

As for minutes, there are so many possible combinations. You may be right on there.
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
            ---------------------------------------
            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post

No.

That lineup would turn the ball over so much. Shamet is the only competent dribbler in that lineup.
              The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

It's Shamet, damn it.
                Dominance is a state of mind.

Comment

Conner is an okay defender. He gives us a lot on the offensive side of the court. Brown is a good defender that gives us little on the offensive side of the court. McDuffie is good on both sides of the court. Markis will be the major minutes getter at the wing forward position rotating in with Brown and Kelly.

It’s unclear how many minutes Brown, Kelly, or Willis will lose to McDuffie.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

Maybe I’m one of the few that feels it’s a bit to early to be concerned about our defense. Not to say it hasn’t been a problem at times, but until MM is back I’m not going to overreact. Aside from points and rebounds, he led the team in steals last year at nearly two a game. He guards the perimeter and the post and with his combination of length and athleticism, he gives of players trouble on both ends of the court. If if we hit mid January-early February and our defense still looks the same, then I will be concerned.

And as far as Conner being the best perimeter shooter, I too have to disagree. Shamet is shooting a higher percentage on a similar number of attempts. Just like Conner, he makes them in ISO, catch-and-shoot, and coming of screens. Plus, his height allows him to get better looks over smaller defenders. Conner is a great perimeter shooter, but Shamet is better.

Comment

Working...
                    X