Non-Conference Player Grades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shoxthemonkey View Post
    Seems like an easy class with all the A and B grades. A B grade was supposed to be above average way back when I was a student. Shamet, Willis and maybe Frankamp are the only ones I would say are above average so far. I'd give CF a high C because his defense is poor. The rest have a lot of work to do to be above average. A one-dimensional guy can't be above average in my book. I guess I gave away which camp I'm in.
    You act as though the Shockers are the only players being graded. Our Shockers are better than most other D-I players; we just aren’t grading the other teams.
    Livin the dream

Comment

• Shoxthemonkey
      Shoxthemonkey commented
      Editing a comment
      For this exercise, that is exactly what we are doing. The Shockers are the only players being graded.

I base my evaluations on what my perceptions / evaluations / expectations were for players going
    into the season compared to how i believe they have actually performed. Willis has out performed
    my expectations and Shamet, well, Shamet is Shamet, they both get the only A's. RN gets a B+ for
    leading the team in FG% and generally just good solid play. I'd give CF a solid B as he is
    unquestionably a solid floor leader and only five turnovers and 31 assists. I'd give RK a solid B.
    Reaves and Jones C+. I'd give SM a C- not because his stats are that bad but because I know he
    is a better player than what he has shown thus far. He should be a dominant inside player but has
    not been that guy yet. If he had Willis' motor he would be dominant on both ends but he is just
    stuck in second gear. There are flashes of greatness now and then but no consistency. If it is a
    matter of stamina then reduce his minutes and get 15 outstanding minutes as opposed to 22
    average ones. He just has to play hard all the time but it looks like he takes too many possessions off.

Comment

Top 10 ranking A+
      Great Character A+
      No Current Law enforcement inter action A+
      Represent the University well A+
      I guess at this juncture I would have to give them an A+

Comment

I'd give:

Landry: B -- turnovers, poor defense, and overall not looking like "our guy" in recent games.
        Austin: B -- being aggressive on both ends, and just doing what is asked of him. Not a scoring threat.
        Conner: C -- Giving good effort on defense, handling the ball well, and being non-existent on offense recently.
        Samajae: C -- Scoring well against lesser opponents, being atrocious on defense, shot-hunting vs. running offense.
        C.J.: F -- Not impressed with anything he does on the floor.
        Zach: D -- Not impressed with anything in his game. Moves the ball well.

Rashard: A -- is playing great. Rebounds, good defense, wise with the ball, coast-to-coast. This is the only player on the team who's playing like a senior.
        Daral: B -- has arrived. Despite my whining about his unilateral handy work, he's been good. Not a presence on the defensive end of the floor.
        Rauno: C -- is playing inconsistently average. Not tough on the boards, not tough in the post.
        Shaq: D -- is playing pathetic. Shaq is doing his best on defense, but his offensive and rebounding has been nothing close to the star he is.
        McDuffie: N/A -- Against FGCU, he running balance looked terrible. He fell on the floor multiple times without contact (some with contact too, poor guy). It was hard for me to watch him fall all over the court. I was just hoping he didn't hurt himself. I have high hopes for his play the rest of this year, but mostly I hope his body is ready for it. Go DUFF!

Gregg and his coaching staff: B -- Terrible team defense, offense is questionable sometimes.

Comment

This should be fun
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I'll be the teacher everyone hates.

Shamet - A-

Willis - B+

Frankamp - B Defense better than he gets credit for

Kelly - B

Haynes/Jones - B Have to take the bad with the good

Morris - C Still seem's disinterested frequently

Nurger - C Defense is often atrocious. Terribly slow rotating back after helping. Weak under the basket.

Reeves - C Struggles to guard shooters

Brown - C Hampered by injury which has reduced his defensive effectiveness

Keyser - C- Not really his fault that he missed so much playing experience

Comment

Originally posted by Shaqness View Post
              I'd give:

Landry: B -- turnovers, poor defense, and overall not looking like "our guy" in recent games.
              Austin: B -- being aggressive on both ends, and just doing what is asked of him. Not a scoring threat.
              Conner: C -- Giving good effort on defense, handling the ball well, and being non-existent on offense recently.
              Samajae: C -- Scoring well against lesser opponents, being atrocious on defense, shot-hunting vs. running offense.

Rashard: A -- is playing great. Rebounds, good defense, wise with the ball, coast-to-coast. This is the only player on the team who's playing like a senior.
              Daral: B -- has arrived. Despite my whining about his unilateral handy work, he's been good. Not a presence on the defensive end of the floor.
              Rauno: C -- is playing inconsistently average. Not tough on the boards, not tough in the post.
              Shaq: D -- is playing pathetic. Shaq is doing his best on defense, but his offensive and rebounding has been nothing close to the star he is.
              McDuffie: N/A -- Against FGCU, he running balance looked terrible. He fell on the floor multiple times without contact (some with contact too, poor guy). It was hard for me to watch him fall all over the court. I was just hoping he didn't hurt himself. I have high hopes for his play the rest of this year, but mostly I hope his body is ready for it. Go DUFF!

Gregg and his coaching staff: B -- Terrible team defense, offense is questionable sometimes.

Tough grader.
              Landry: Last six games, average 20.0 ppg; fg% 52.1%; 3ptFG%, 50%; 36A to 13 TO compared to
              ............First six games. average 14.2 ppg; fg% 56.9%; 3ptFG%, 50%; 19A to 10 TO
              Daryl: Ranks 36th in nation in Defensive Rebound percent grabbing 26.3% of available rebounds. Not to mention the three charges taken in the last two games.
              Conner: If recently means last game, only 7 points. But last five, 13.6 ppg compared to 9.9 in first six games. Last 5 3-pt%, 46.2 compared to 29.7 in first six.
              Samajae: Has 23.4% assist percentage, compared to Landry at 27.3% and Conner at 18.2%. Maybe hunting for shot or dribbling breaks down defenses and opens things up.

Interesting to look at points per FGA for the season:
              Shamet 1.65
              Willis 1.51
              Nurger 1.41
              Reaves 1.40
              Kelly 1.38
              Morris 1.36
              Samajae 1.34
              CJ 1.33
              Zach 1.17
              Conner 1.15
              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
              ---------------------------------------
              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Say whatever you want about Conner. He takes care of the ball against the best competition in the toughest minutes. 5 turnovers all season. In the toughest minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaqness View Post
                  I'd give:

Ward dont you think your a little tough on the Beaver?
                  I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    Say whatever you want about Conner. He takes care of the ball against the best competition in the toughest minutes. 5 turnovers all season. In the toughest minutes.
                    Yep. He does that well. Ranked 4th nationally in turnover rate of 5.2.

FYI, Rashard Kelly ranks 2nd in Offensive Rebounding Percentage at 19.2%
                    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:

Comment

Frankamp is shooting 36.5% from 3. It's hard to tell where that stands among shooters in the American. I can only find a listing for the top 15, which goes down to 39.2%. Frankamp is 9th in the league for 3's made per game at 2.1.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                        Frankamp is shooting 36.5% from 3. It's hard to tell where that stands among shooters in the American. I can only find a listing for the top 15, which goes down to 39.2%. Frankamp is 9th in the league for 3's made per game at 2.1.
                        36th. But cannot tell how many attempts they've had.

edit ;29th of those who have made more than 10 on the season
                        Last edited by im4wsu; December 27, 2017, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post

Tough grader.
                          I just tried to follow the feedback from those suggesting C is average. But anywho, that's why I am on shockernet and not sitting next the other assistance coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post

Yep. He does that well. Ranked 4th nationally in turnover rate of 5.2.

FYI, Rashard Kelly ranks 2nd in Offensive Rebounding Percentage at 19.2%

Yep, I trust Conner with the ball. Moreso than Reaves, Jones. Sometimes even Landry is less trustworthy. Conner gives great effort on defense. He is sometimes athletically and physically outmatched. I've been criticized for saying it before, but Conner often is bullied by taller guards. They just shoot right over him. But he does as good as he can to contest.

I just wish he scored more. He should be burning buildings to the ground. If CF can shoot from anywhere, fuggin do it!

And since this is a fun fan grading thread.....KELLY IS AN A. ANYTHING LESS IS A LIE!

Comment

Originally posted by Topshock View Post

Keyser - C- Not really his fault that he missed so much playing experience
                              It not his fault that he didn't take care of business off the court?

Comment

• Topshock
                                Topshock commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I am not going to talk about it in this forum only to say he did nothing that caused him to be held out of the games.
                            Working...
                            X