No announcement yet.

WSU Versus UConn Predictions and Pregame Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now we enter into an exciting new Conference in hopes to be the 'new team on the block', but a team that can win the gold here. Below are some positive comparisons of stats for last Season versus this Season along with areas of stats that need to improve and should get better with all of our players healthy, and ready to play. Yes, this is a tougher schedule this Season, but even so, there is room for enhancing our squad's performance as we march forward towards March. These stats were compiled from goshockers.

The Good--Our field goal % is actually up from .488 to .469 last Season. Considering the amount of easy shots we have missed lately, this is nice to see. Our free throw % is actually up from .733 last year, to an improved .760 this Season, 'so I will hang up and listen'. This next area, I really like and still see more improvement on the horizon. Our rebound margin this Season is improved from 8.9 last Season to 11.5 so far this Season and last I checked we were rated in the top 10 in the Nation on this. Why do I point to this getting an added boost by and by? Duff led us in rebounding last Season and his presence on the court more and more now will enhance this somewhat IMO. Last but not least, our bench has outscored our foes bench in every solitary game and many times it is not even close.

The Similarities To Last Season--Our team 3-point % is just slightly below last Season. Rim Protection is similar as the Shocks blocked 140 shots and were blocked 120 times versus this Season as we have blocked 55 shots and been blocked 46 times. Our assists per game is slightly better this Season at 18 per game versus our foes at 10.8 against us versus 16.3 assists per game at 10.4 against us last Season. This last similarity made me 'scratch my head', that even though we are ranked higher than last Season and it seems we are not playing as good, I had forgotten 12 games into last Season, that we were 9-3 in our first 12 games. Michigan State, Louisville, and Oklahoma State had defeated us in our first 12 games last Season.

These Stats Stick Out Like a Sore Thumb--So then we ponder with perplexity and mull over just why do we seem flat this Season. What up? Not only do we hash out these areas on SN to pinpoint needed solutions, but Coach Marshall is fully aware and brings it up publically by saying "We bring out the best in others this Season." Last Season as usual, the Shocks got more steals which was 235 to our foes 189. Marshall coached teams have nice juicy runs which is sparked by our Defense and turns into points for us, This Season however, we seem to not have as many nice runs which is partially explained with the Shocks giving up 75 steals against us and only having 53 of our own. What? Yup, but more evidence of needed improvement is reflected as we only made 406 turnovers last Season but caused our foes to turn it over 488 times. Ya'll ready for this? This Season, we have turned it over 153 times and our foes 144. This is as rare in Shocker basketball under the Marshall Law Plan, as it is pulling hens teeth at the barnyard I have heard.

Optical Illusion Stats?--It does seem like teams are shooting the ball so much better than last Season but it was not as much so far that I thought, but it all adds up. From the field this Season, the Shocks are shooting .488% and last Season it is .469. This Season from the 3-point perspective, the Shocks foes are shooting .332 and only .311 last Season. This Season we have made 9.3 treys per game and last Season it was 8.6. Our foes this Season have made 9 per game but only 6.7 per game last Season against us. It just seems like these gaps would have been way more than I'm seeing here. Even so, teams have lived by the 3 in the first half to 3/4 of the game, but died by the 3 in the second half with the exception of Oklahoma.

What does it all mean? 3G does much more experimenting in search of finding the most consistent team chemistry in the first Semester than at Conference time. Then, he tends to shorten the bench some, although our bench has been tougher than nails this Season. With that said, we are healthier now, have time to regroup, and never fear, Duff is now here. In the scheme of things with all that said, while the Shocks have some definite concerns to address and we have seemed lackluster more than usual this Season, I'm not worried.

So why am I'm not worried? No other team in the Country has played as well as the Shocks have for the past five or so Seasons on the cold and lonely. We will continue to glove up at home sweet home and protect our fort with wins. Next, Coach 3G seems to find ways to build a head of Shocker steam gradually, as the Season progresses onward to March in search of peaking as a squad when it matters the most. With 6 Seniors along with MM and LS now healthier, Austin and SHJ getting locked in more, this squad will fizz more as we go and not be a dud. Even so, we the SN Nation, are eager to see more defensive anger resulting in more offensive conversions, keeping our own turnovers to a mild roar under 10 a game, but also getting in the passing lanes like hungry hyenas more, to disrupt and confuse our AAC foes. If all this works, watch out!!!!!!!
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
      This next area, I really like and still see more improvement on the horizon. Our rebound margin this Season is improved from 8.9 last Season to 11.5 so far this Season and last I checked we were rated in the top 10 in the Nation on this. Why do I point to this getting an added boost by and by? Duff led us in rebounding last Season and his presence on the court more and more now will enhance this somewhat IMO.
      The Savannah State game was kind of an outlier where we outrebounded them 67-31. Just looking at the other 11 games, we averaged 9.3 rebounds more than our opponents, which is still a little better than last year and against better competition.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post

The Savannah State game was kind of an outlier where we outrebounded them 67-31. Just looking at the other 11 games, we averaged 9.3 rebounds more than our opponents, which is still a little better than last year and against better competition.
        Good point. Also, not only did MM lead us in points, rebounds, and steals, but he also was fouled the most last Season of our Shocks and shot the highest % in throws. So, we have rebounded real well this Season as a team without Duff and I'm excited to have him back and soon in full strength. Where I learned to really appreciate Duffs game last Season though was his ability to defend, even against our foes best players and they played various different positions which pointed to his defensive versatility.

Comment

Here is another stat that makes me want our guards to somehow, someway, draw more throws. Shamet is 40-45, Frankamp 16-16, and Austin is 10-11. Together, these 3 guards are over 90% combined so we want way more of this. I'll hang up and listen.

Comment

Austin is 10-11? Ouch. That one. single. miss...

Comment

Everytime we play a team right after they get boat raced, they put together their best effort against us. I'm actually relieved this one is on the road this time. We should win this one comfortably. Put together a good defensive AND offensive game at the same time.

Shockers - 81
              Huskies - 67

Comment

UCONN has enough quality players to beat Oregon and play Arizona and Syracuse tough on the road.
                Don't like catching them after the a**whoopin they just got. Home conference opener against a ranked
                team so we will be getting their best shot. Take care of the ball, especially early as I expect they will be
                pumped and over playing us. If they do over play we can't back up we have to attack and back door
                them to make them pay. A win here would be big as MM will just get better and better each week. A win
                here and I see 16 or 17 total wins before losing maybe more. Even at half, up three at the ten minute mark,
                and 83-75 at the buzzer.......... Shocks

Comment

79 - 69 for the win!

I just want to see two steady half's, nothing spectacular (though I won't mind if it is spectacular), where we outplay our opponent both halves. That'll calm a lot of nerves around here.

Comment

68 to 62 Shoxs
                    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Shocks by 13
                      "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

One of the UConn posters put up some stats on the Huskies:

Originally posted by Fishy
                        We’re 274th in scoring offense, 321st in field goal percentage, 332nd in assists/turnover ratio, 291st in three-point field goal percentage and 349th in assists per game. 349th. There are only two teams worse than us. We’re not in the top 130 in any offensive or defensive category, save free throw percentage where we rate 97th. Statistically, we’re not even remotely competitive with other American programs.
                        If this is true it sounds like they have serious offensive issues.

This isn’t working. I haven’t been optimistic for a while, but I at least had a shred of hope that somehow, something would click. After today, nope. That’s gone. It’s not even Christmas and the NCAA tournament might as well be played on Mars for all of our chances of getting there...

Comment

But they probably have as much or more talent and athleticism than anyone in the conference and on the ROAD a talented team, if they gain a little fire and begin to believe, can still be dangerous.. on the road, this is a win we need to have, and need to not take it for granted.

Comment

Comment

Ramon was always a crowd favorite and he is right he is one of the one's that started the building of what we have.

Comment

Has anyone watched a UConn game at all? I've watched a few when on TV, my god they are bad. I think this one could get ugly quickly.

Comment

• ShockdaWorld
                                  ShockdaWorld commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  I watched some of their game against Auburn. Granted, I don't know if Auburn is good, bad, or ugly, but I do know that against Auburn, UConn looked pathetic.
                              Working...
                              X