Stillwater Game Day Observations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stillwater Game Day Observations

-Okie Light fans sounded loyal, but admitted they feel like used car salesmen since the Eddie Sutten days ended.

-The historic Iba Area appears to still be under construction in a few areas.. I didn't dare ask when the construction started.

-Signs all over place saying not to park there, but apparently parking isn't a issue unless it's football season.

-The Okie Light coach was determined to coach competitive with 15 seconds left.

-Okie's speed limits are a little slower than what we are used to in Kansas.

All in all it wasn't bad. OSU appears to have sold out to football to a point where their fans feel confused about everything. Very proud and not very rude fans though.

If they ever can get REALLY good again, I’d love to see what a packed house for a Bedlam or KU game would be like. It got pretty loud at various points. The steep nature of the arena helps with that, I’m sure.

Shocker Nation represented very well!

OSU fans were generally pretty good. One guy behind me whined about officiating...even though it sucked both ways.

I REALLY hope they continue the series. It makes sense to do so. Easy trip...fun for fans!
    78-65

Comment

Oklahoma State has played 4 home and homes with WSU since 1990, at least 2 if not 3 of those probably didn't make a lot of sense, but they played them anyway. They have all my respect and I too hope it continues.

Comment

I completely agree with Iba having a pretty good loud and rowdy atmosphere at times. I think their problem along with selling out to football is coaches not sticking around for variety of reasons.. You heard what they did to Underwood right? He was one of the top up and coming coaching prospects and they basically signed him on to a 1 year deal paying the absolute minimum. So it could be their AD's fault or football or maybe Underwood just wasn't satisfied with Stillwater. Either way, it seems like facilities wise they have everything they need.

Comment

Underwood doesn't exactly have the look of someone you want as your coach right now.

Comment

Coach Underwood had a really solid squad at Stephen F. Austin in downtown Nacogdoches, Tx his last Season there and beat W. Virginia at the Dance and lost to ND 76-75 in a squeaker. That springboarded him to Oklahoma State where his squad did defeat our Shocks, went 20-13, but lost their last 4 games including a Dance loss against Michigan, 92-91. Now at Illinois, they are 7-4 but have lost 4 of their last 5 games to the tougher teams they have faced this Season. I'm thinking Illinois will give him a fair look on board to see what happens moving forward.
            Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

There were a LOT of Shockers there but it was hard to judge the number since a lot of them were in black instead of yellow. You could for sure tell when cheering started for WSU. OSU has a very good student section and they do NOT do commercial spots during timeouts. During timeout the band kept playing and the students kept yelling... Do we really have to do so many promotions? Some of the people I spoke to before the game were concerned the students wouldn't show up since classes ended Friday but the fear was for naught.

My experience with the Stillwater fans was quite positive. There were mixes of the two fanbases who must have been families coming in and leaving together.

Comment

Originally posted by Windiwu View Post
                OSU has a very good student section and they do NOT do commercial spots during timeouts. During timeout the band kept playing and the students kept yelling... Do we really have to do so many promotions?
                i guess when you have T. Boone Pickens bankrolling your program, you don’t have to do promotions. :)

ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• proshox
                  proshox commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Most of our sponsors would be fine still pay the $$$ for spots that were less intrusive to the atmosphere. I assume some sponsors DO NOT want to be associated with some of the mickey mouse stuff that goes on.

With that stated, I like the bit the law firm is doing honoring local heroes!

Speaking of the student section, kind of funny after the game ended and everyone was exiting the stadium these 3 OSU students were walking right next to me. The one in the middle was still processing that atmosphere, his 2 buddies on either side of him were upperclassmen and noticed the look on his face. They started laughing and asked him if that was his first basketball game. He said it was and didn't seem dissatisfied in the slightest. It was good to see.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                  If they ever can get REALLY good again, I’d love to see what a packed house for a Bedlam or KU game would be like. It got pretty loud at various points. The steep nature of the arena helps with that, I’m sure.

Shocker Nation represented very well!

OSU fans were generally pretty good. One guy behind me whined about officiating...even though it sucked both ways.

I REALLY hope they continue the series. It makes sense to do so. Easy trip...fun for fans!
                  Went to a number of KU-OSU games over the last 5 years. Even when GIA is 75-80% packed it absolutely rocks.
                  The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

If it came out that GIA was pumping in crowd noise I wouldn’t be surprised at all. The PA system is so loud it hurts your ears at times and the crowd was impressively loud with basically the entire upper deck contributing no noise at all.

Comment

AndShock is crazy. That is all.

Comment

Saw Coach Lamb at Eskimo Joe's and he was having a good time talking to all the Shocker fans. Congratulated him on his season, championship and hosting a tournament. I made the observation that Wichita supported the ncaa tournament very well. He said that either day attendance exceeded any of the west coast two day total attendance. He also wanted to make sure we let HCGM know that he was the first to win a American Conference Championship and his banner would say 2017 and his would still be 2018. Thought that was funny. Said navigating the American conference is still a work in progress and was interested to see if it opened up new recruiting areas. He said they were now looking at high school sophomores because in volleyball its easier to project a girls ceiling rather than guys since girls mature sooner. Coach Lamb was obviously having a great time. The OSU fans that we were around were very complimentary of our team. We all agreed that the refs were horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                          Saw Coach Lamb at Eskimo Joe's and he was having a good time talking to all the Shocker fans. Congratulated him on his season, championship and hosting a tournament. I made the observation that Wichita supported the ncaa tournament very well. He said that either day attendance exceeded any of the west coast two day total attendance. He also wanted to make sure we let HCGM know that he was the first to win a American Conference Championship and his banner would say 2017 and his would still be 2018. Thought that was funny. Said navigating the American conference is still a work in progress and was interested to see if it opened up new recruiting areas. He said they were now looking at high school sophomores because in volleyball its easier to project a girls ceiling rather than guys since girls mature sooner. Coach Lamb was obviously having a great time. The OSU fans that we were around were very complimentary of our team. We all agreed that the refs were horrible.
                          That's great stuff. We have a really good thing going on in Wichita right now. I'm trying to enjoy it as much as possible.

Would be nice to add a baseball coach to the merry band of league-stomping bar-setters.

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                            WSUwatcher commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Fifteen or twenty years ago, they had just the guy for baseball. But he got old, a little full of himself, and burned out, and things have never quite been the same.

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

That's great stuff. We have a really good thing going on in Wichita right now. I'm trying to enjoy it as much as possible.

Would be nice to add a baseball coach to the merry band of league-stomping bar-setters.
                          Its pretty sad that the AD would rather be BFFs with the baseball coach than give any ounce of care to what was the school’s premiere sport.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Cdizzle
                            Cdizzle commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I'm trying to give a little leash because AAC and because there is a lot to have fun with right now. But I am definitely still chapped about it. I regret bringing it up in what should be a very positive thread. Hopefully I have something else to watch until April and then I can resume the drum/horse-beating.
                        Working...
                        X